Re: quotas once again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: quotas once again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gevik Babakhani wrote:
> After reading the thread of 2004 regarding user quotas, I understand
> why the discussion moved towards having a tablespace quota as a
> solution.
>
> My reason to start this discussion was due the need of controlling
> database size. Having tablespace quotas could allow one to create a
> database in a given tablespace and then limit the size of the tablespace.

You can control tablespace size by filesystem quotas. When you put each
tablespace on separate FS. Hovewer, disadvantage is that you need admin
access to the machine and it is not controlled by postgres.  ZFS works
fine in this case, because you can delegate volume/filesystem
administration to the any user and FS creation is very easy.
    Zdenek