Re: New idea for patch tracking

From
"Dave Page"

I don't recall hearing you ask for people to help with a web page.

> What I think we can do simply is to have our email software automatically
> number emails submitted to the patches list that already don't have a
> number.  This way, all followups, even if moved to the hackers list, would
> maintain that patch number, and if an updated version is posted, the user
> would keep the same number in the email subject.

<snip tracker outline>

Barring a few trivial details, that sounds almost identical to what I proposed.

Regards, Dave

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

I want create and maintain a web page that tracks where we are on each
8.3 patch, but have had not takers.

> > What I think we can do simply is to have our email software automatically
> > number emails submitted to the patches list that already don't have a
> > number.  This way, all followups, even if moved to the hackers list, would
> > maintain that patch number, and if an updated version is posted, the user
> > would keep the same number in the email subject.
>
> <snip tracker outline>
>
> Barring a few trivial details, that sounds almost identical to what I
> proposed.

Well, Andrew says everyone he talks to doesn't want it.  They want a
more comprehensive solution that goes from bug to patch.

-- Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: New idea for patch tracking

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
>>> As for #3, again, I don't want us to take on a burdensome patch tracking
>>> process that is more effort than it is worth, and the lack of people
>>> jumping to even manage a simple web page for current 8.3 patches has me
>>> questioning what kind of support a burdensome tracking system would
>>> receive.
>> I don't recall hearing you ask for people to help with a web page.
>
> I want create and maintain a web page that tracks where we are on each
> 8.3 patch, but have had not takers.

are you thinking about something like
http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Todo:WishlistFor83 on steriods
(ie with more references to actual patches and discussion and
explaination of functionality) or something completely different ?
I'm a bit unsure on how this webpage would differ from a typical
bugtracker ...
Maybe you could give a concrete example for a particular patch in the
queue so that everybody can follow ?

Stefan

Re: New idea for patch tracking

Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:

At this point, just one line for each patch, and who is working on it:
Patch, Author CommitterHOT    Pavan  ?XML    misc   Peteretc.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:

that would be easy to do on either the wishlist or a seperate wiki page
and I would volunteer to do that if you think it is useful.

Stefan

Re: New idea for patch tracking

Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

OK, you have to go back to Tom's email stating where we are on each
patch, then look over the patch application and find out which ones have
been applied.  Also you have to read the replies to find out who has
taken ownership of patches.

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: New idea for patch tracking

From
"Andrew Dunstan"
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:

>> Barring a few trivial details, that sounds almost identical to what I
proposed.

> Well, Andrew says everyone he talks to doesn't want it.  They want a
more comprehensive solution that goes from bug to patch.

Dave can speak for his own views, but I think you're misquoting me somewhat.

I said that a majority of developers wanted to move to use of a tracking
system, not "everyone".

I did say that this patch tracker would be "at best a half measure in
almost everyone's eyes". Note the "almost". That doesn't mean nobody wants
it. Possibly some see significant benefit where I see little or none.
Clearly Dave does. But it does mean that it's not what most people really
want.

I would be prepared to put considerable effort (say, comparable to what I
have put into the buildfarm) into establishing and maintaining a
feature/bug tracker system, if I thought there was enough buyin. I have
not done so in the past because others (principally you) have been against
it, and so it seemed doomed to failure. Unlike the buildfarm, which can
stand on its own, a tracker requires cooperation from the developers in
order to be effective.

Our present change management methods strike me as being analogous to
keeping track of a banking system in a spreadsheet (don't get me started).
It's quite  ironic (not to mention sad) given that we are producing a
sophisticated database ...

cheers

andrew

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:

ok I did a rough sketch of how I interpreted your proposal on
http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Todo:PatchStatus.
This table is by far not complete yet(more of a PoC) but I wanted to get
some feedback if I'm on the right track before I put more time into this.

Stefan

Re: New idea for patch tracking

From
"Dave Page"

I don't recall him saying that, though I do know  that's /his/ opinion. It's certainly *not* the opinion of most of the
peopleI've spoken with.

I don't disagree with the idea in principle though, but I don't believe it will work for us because it's so
fundamentallydifferent from the way we currently work and still wouldn't solve the problem of capturing all the
relevantdiscussion regarding a given patch (or bug) without a reasonable amount of manual work, or grafting a large
partof what I'm proposing on the side.

Regards, Dave

Re: New idea for patch tracking

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On May 5, 2007, at 11:40 AM, Dave Page wrote:
>>> <snip tracker outline>
>>>
>>> Barring a few trivial details, that sounds almost identical to
>>> what I
>>> proposed.
>>
>> Well, Andrew says everyone he talks to doesn't want it.  They want a
>> more comprehensive solution that goes from bug to patch.
>>

> I don't recall him saying that, though I do know  that's /his/
> opinion. It's certainly *not* the opinion of most of the people
> I've spoken with.
>
> I don't disagree with the idea in principle though, but I don't
> believe it will work for us because it's so fundamentally different
> from the way we currently work and still wouldn't solve the problem
> of capturing all the relevant discussion regarding a given patch
> (or bug) without a reasonable amount of manual work, or grafting a
> large part of what I'm proposing on the side.

IIRC, every recent debate about going to a bug/issue (and now patch)
tracker has ultimately boiled down to the impact it would have on our
current work processes: it has to work 100% painlessly off of the
mailing lists. It's got to do more than just pipe changes to the
mailing list; it's got to be able to be driven by the list as well.
That's the real challenging part.

People have suggested different trackers that have varying amounts of
email capability, but I don't think any of them have had the full
capability that we'd need. At best they might accept comments on a
bug/issue via email, but to work for the community they'd need to go
beyond that. You'd have to be able to resolve via email (preferably
tied to -commiters). You'd need to be able to make a bug as invalid.
You'd need to be able to open a new issue via email. And change
status. And assign it to someone. And it would have to actually
thread discussion to be useful. Probably some other things as well.

Since a system like that doesn't exist I think it's going to be up to
us to create one. When it comes to the full set of features you'd
expect out of an issue tracker, it would probably make sense to start
with an existing project and try and add this functionality. But
right now I don't think such an effort would work well, because we
don't know well enough how all these new features should work.

But writing a patch tracker would be simpler than a full issue
tracker. It's also something we could more easily do in a piece-meal
fashion, since the only users will be developers. Building such a
tool would provide a wealth of experience that could then be applied
to tackling a full-blown issue tracking system.

The system Bruce and Dave have outlined shouldn't be terribly hard to
implement. Let's start with that and see what we learn (as I've
already told Dave, this is something I'll help with). Otherwise we'll
once again have spent another chunk of community effort on a tracker
discussion that results in nothing being done (I guess it has been 6
months since it was last brought up, so we were due again anyway...)

Re: New idea for patch tracking

From
Zdenek Kotala
Jim Nasby wrote:

> People have suggested different trackers that have varying amounts of
> email capability, but I don't think any of them have had the full
> capability that we'd need. At best they might accept comments on a
> bug/issue via email, but to work for the community they'd need to go
> beyond that. You'd have to be able to resolve via email (preferably tied
> to -commiters). You'd need to be able to make a bug as invalid. You'd
> need to be able to open a new issue via email. And change status. And
> assign it to someone. And it would have to actually thread discussion to
> be useful. Probably some other things as well.

As I wrote few days ago. You can see how and what use e.g. Apache Derby
community. I guess more of mentioned issues they have solved and we can
take some of their ideas. However I still  miss list of tracker
requirements - what tracker MUST have and what is nice to have.

And you describe current processes based on email communication. But if
we setup some tracker some process will be changed. I think first step
is determine what we really want and after we can discuss how to reach it.

> Since a system like that doesn't exist I think it's going to be up to us
> to create one. When it comes to the full set of features you'd expect
> out of an issue tracker, it would probably make sense to start with an
> existing project and try and add this functionality. But right now I
> don't think such an effort would work well, because we don't know well
> enough how all these new features should work.

Create own tracker is reinvent a wheel and waste a time. There are a lot
of trackers and I believe that one of them fit postgres requirements. I
agree with your idea to try one and if it will be necessary we can add
some functionality. But I think that there are not clear requirements
and I also afraid that there is not unified view of core team on this.

I suggest following process:

1) create list of requirements - MUST HAVE/NICE TO HAVE
2) create list of tracker
3) reject trackers which does not fit "MUST HAVE"
4) each member of core team create own order
5) results will be put together and one tracker will be select for testing.
    Zdenek

Date:
On May 7, 2007, at 7:47 AM, Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> Jim Nasby wrote:
> And you describe current processes based on email communication.
> But if we setup some tracker some process will be changed. I think
> first step is determine what we really want and after we can
> discuss how to reach it.

If we lived in an ideal world I'd agree with you 100%. But we live in
PostgreSQL-community-world. :) There is a *lot* of resistance in the
development community to going to any kind of a tracker, even if it
would mean essentially zero change to how the development has to
work. If you don't believe me go look in the archives; I believe this
debate happens about twice a year, and every time the result is the
same: lots of emails, zero change.

> Create own tracker is reinvent a wheel and waste a time. There are
> a lot of trackers and I believe that one of them fit postgres
> requirements. I agree with your idea to try one and if it will be
> necessary we can add some functionality. But I think that there are
> not clear requirements and I also afraid that there is not unified
> view of core team on this.

Yes, when it comes to doing a full-blown tracker it would be a huge
amount of wheel reinvention. But that's not the case with a simple
patch tracker.

Let's take the baby step of a patch tracker first and see what we
learn from it.