who gets paid for this

From
"Christian Bird"
Date:
Hi all,

I'm a grad student at UC Davis studying the postgres community and I
wanted to know if some on this list could help me out.  I'm studying
the factors that affect people "graduating" from being mailing list
participant to developers with write access to the repository.  Is it
possible to find out who is being employed to work on postgres and who
is doing it on their own time?  Some of my data points to there being
two ways that people make the jump.  More specifically, could those
who worked on apache as some aspect of their job prior to getting repo
access let me know?  Or if there are devs who know this information
about others, I'd be really appreciative to get it.  Thanks a lot.

-- Christian Bird

--
Christian Bird
cabird@gmail.com

Re: who gets paid for this

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Christian,

>More specifically, could those
> who worked on apache as some aspect of their job prior to getting repo
> access let me know?  Or if there are devs who know this information
> about others, I'd be really appreciative to get it.

Hmmm.  Wrong project.  And I think you're making the (incorrect) assumption
that granting commit rights works the same way in all projects.   It does
not.

How about you call me and we can chat about how the PostgreSQL project
actually works?  415-752-2500.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: who gets paid for this

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Christian,
>> More specifically, could those
>> who worked on apache as some aspect of their job prior to getting repo
>> access let me know?  Or if there are devs who know this information
>> about others, I'd be really appreciative to get it.

> Hmmm.  Wrong project.  And I think you're making the (incorrect) assumption
> that granting commit rights works the same way in all projects.   It does
> not.

Even more to the point, "getting paid for" has almost nothing to do
with "has commit privileges".  At least on this project.
        regards, tom lane

Re: who gets paid for this

From
Andrew Dunstan
Tom Lane wrote:

> Even more to the point, "getting paid for" has almost nothing to do
> with "has commit privileges".  At least on this project.

Darn. So the cheque isn't really in the mail?

cheers

andrew

Re: who gets paid for this

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 12:10:22 -0800, Christian Bird <cabird@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a grad student at UC Davis studying the postgres community and I
> wanted to know if some on this list could help me out.  I'm studying
> the factors that affect people "graduating" from being mailing list
> participant to developers with write access to the repository.  Is it
> possible to find out who is being employed to work on postgres and who
> is doing it on their own time?  Some of my data points to there being
> two ways that people make the jump.  More specifically, could those
> who worked on apache as some aspect of their job prior to getting repo
> access let me know?  Or if there are devs who know this information
> about others, I'd be really appreciative to get it.  Thanks a lot.

Si Chen from Open Source Strategies talked to a number of mailing list
contributors (which is different than code contributors) a year or two
ago. They are supposed to have a web page about this at
http://www.opensourcestrategies.com/pgsurvey/control/main
but I am getting a 500 error right now. The rest of their web pages are
working, so they may still be there. There is a contact link on their main
page which you might use to contact them and see if you can get access to
those results.

Re: who gets paid for this

From
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Date:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>> Even more to the point, "getting paid for" has almost nothing to do
>> with "has commit privileges".  At least on this project.
>>

> Darn. So the cheque isn't really in the mail?

I think his question was just which ratio of developers works on
PostgreSQL on company time.

regards,
Lukas

Re: who gets paid for this

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Christian Bird wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a grad student at UC Davis studying the postgres community and I
> wanted to know if some on this list could help me out.  I'm studying
> the factors that affect people "graduating" from being mailing list
> participant to developers with write access to the repository.

It is done on a meritocracy basis and has zero bearing if the person is
paid to work on PostgreSQL or not.

I believe (would need verification) that it is -core who decides who
gets actual commit privileges.

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: who gets paid for this

From
Dave Page
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Christian Bird wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm a grad student at UC Davis studying the postgres community and I
>> wanted to know if some on this list could help me out.  I'm studying
>> the factors that affect people "graduating" from being mailing list
>> participant to developers with write access to the repository.
>
> It is done on a meritocracy basis and has zero bearing if the person is
> paid to work on PostgreSQL or not.
>
> I believe (would need verification) that it is -core who decides who
> gets actual commit privileges.

It is. Note also that not all of core are committers.

/D

Re: who gets paid for this

From
"Christian Bird"
Date:
I didn't mean to imply that getting paid is correlated with getting
commit privileges.  However, there is literature that supports the
idea that those who are under employ to help in OSS projects may
behave differently than those who are contributing in their free time
(check out http://gsyc.info/~jjamor/research/papers/2006-gsd-herraiz-robles-amor-romera-barahona.pdf).We're trying to
getan idea if there are perhaps two different

phenomena in our data.  We're trying to separate those who have commit
privileges into those employed by a company to help out as part of
their job and those who do so in their free time at the time of their
first commit.  I really appreciate any help that you can provide.  If
it appears that I'm making incorrect assumptions about how the
community works, please feel free to correct me or point me to
resources.  Thanks.

-- Chris

Dave Page wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Christian Bird wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm a grad student at UC Davis studying the postgres community and I
> >> wanted to know if some on this list could help me out.  I'm studying
> >> the factors that affect people "graduating" from being mailing list
> >> participant to developers with write access to the repository.
> >
> > It is done on a meritocracy basis and has zero bearing if the person is
> > paid to work on PostgreSQL or not.
> >
> > I believe (would need verification) that it is -core who decides who
> > gets actual commit privileges.
>
> It is. Note also that not all of core are committers.

And many committers are not core.

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com