FreeBSD broke with autoconf-based build

From
strk@refractions.net
Date:
I'm having troubles building postgis HEAD on freebsd
using the new autoconf-based scripts.

The Makefile.shlib file copied by pgsql sources
adds a -Bforcearchive flag to LINK.shared with
arch is freebsd, but the flag seems to be
unsupported (this is from 7.2.1 to 8.0.0)

Weird enough PostgreSQL build works fine
(no -Bforcearchive flag used)

If I remove the -Bforcearchive flag from Makefile.shlib
everything seems to work fine.

I suppose (but didn't test) that this would also fail with
pgxs.  Are there freebsd users around to test this ?

--strk;

Re: FreeBSD broke with autoconf-based build

Date:
strk@refractions.net writes:
> I'm having troubles building postgis HEAD on freebsd
> using the new autoconf-based scripts.

FreeBSD which, exactly?  It makes a difference, because AFAICS from
configure newer versions of FreeBSD use ELF, and the link switches
are different then.

> The Makefile.shlib file copied by pgsql sources
> adds a -Bforcearchive flag to LINK.shared with
> arch is freebsd, but the flag seems to be
> unsupported (this is from 7.2.1 to 8.0.0)

> Weird enough PostgreSQL build works fine
> (no -Bforcearchive flag used)

You need to figure out why the applied switches are different for your
build than for the main build --- they really should not be.  Are you
sure you're picking up the same copy of Makefile.global?
        regards, tom lane

Re: FreeBSD broke with autoconf-based build

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Also, which port of autoconf are you using?  We're still stuck at 2.59, so
if you are using the newer port available in FreeBSD, you may be being
bitten by that as well ...

----

Re: FreeBSD broke with autoconf-based build

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
Isn't the point about autoconf that the user should not have to run it,
or even have it installed? Only the package creator should have to care
about autoconf versions, surely, or else it is pointless.

cheers

andrew

Date:
On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 09:10:24AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> strk@refractions.net writes:
> > I'm having troubles building postgis HEAD on freebsd
> > using the new autoconf-based scripts.
>
> FreeBSD which, exactly?  It makes a difference, because AFAICS from
> configure newer versions of FreeBSD use ELF, and the link switches
> are different then.

Thank you, it's ELF_SYSTEM undefined.
We just copied Makefile.shlib, not Makefile.global.

We'll have to add a check for ELF_SYSTEM in our own configure script.
Wouldn't this be a problem for pgxs-compiled modules as well ?

--strk;

Re: FreeBSD broke with autoconf-based build

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Also, which port of autoconf are you using?  We're still stuck at
> 2.59, so if you are using the newer port available in FreeBSD, you
> may be being bitten by that as well ...

If you're using something newer than 2.59, you're doing something
weird...

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: FreeBSD broke with autoconf-based build

Date:
strk@refractions.net writes:
> We'll have to add a check for ELF_SYSTEM in our own configure script.
> Wouldn't this be a problem for pgxs-compiled modules as well ?

No, because they import the PG installation's Makefile.global.  If you
are importing Makefile.shlib and not Makefile.global, you are doing
things seriously wrong.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> Also, which port of autoconf are you using?  We're still stuck at
>> 2.59, so if you are using the newer port available in FreeBSD, you
>> may be being bitten by that as well ...
>
> If you're using something newer than 2.59, you're doing something
> weird...

Odd, I swore there was something newer for some reason, and we just hadn't
upgraded to it ... thanks for the correction ...

----