Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

Date:
Just before 8.1beta2 went out, Neil made the following changes:
Rename pg_complete_relation_size() topg_total_relation_size(), for the sake of brevity and clarity.Make
pg_reload_conf(),pg_rotate_logfile(), and pg_cancel_backend()return a boolean rather than an integer to indicate
successorfailure.

(BTW, this is by no means solely Neil's fault, because both Bruce and I
encouraged him to proceed.)

Several people have opined that we ought to revert one or both of these
changes.  The arguments in favor of reversion are basically

(a) we failed to follow normal development process.  The names and
APIs of these functions were already hashed out in long discussions
months ago, so second-guessing them with relatively little discussion
is at best impolite.

(b) pg_cancel_backend() was already in 8.0, and so changing it now
represents an API break, for which being "a little cleaner" is not
sufficient justification.

As against that, changing them back now might just confuse matters even
more.  And I tend to agree with Neil's judgment that the new definitions
are cleaner in themselves.

We need to make a decision before releasing beta3.  We've already forced
an initdb for beta3, so we can change "for free" now, but it's entirely
possible that there will be no additional opportunity before 8.1 final.

Some private discussion among core didn't result in any clear consensus,
so it seems the best thing to do is throw the matter out for a vote on
pgsql-hackers.

The plausible alternatives seem to be:

1.  Leave it as-is.

2.  Revert the result type of pg_cancel_backend() to int, but leave the   rest as-is (minimum change to avoid a
compatibilitybreak with 8.0).

3.  Revert all three result-type changes, in the name of consistency.

4.  Revert all four changes, on the grounds that we shouldn't allow such   a violation of process.

Opinions please?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
mark@mark.mielke.cc
Date:
I don't get a vote - but I do want to suggest, as a user, that I get
generally annoyed with the presence of interfaces with names that
were chosen for historical reasons, but are maintained only for
compatibility, and either never did, or no longer apply.

I'd rather you left it fixed. Returning it to the old name, for the
sake of process, and no other good reason, doesn't appeal to me. It is
a lesson learned. We move on. Enforce the process next time. Self
inflicted punishment is somewhat masochistic. :-)

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________
 One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all                      and in the darkness
bindthem...

                          http://mark.mielke.cc/

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
> Just before 8.1beta2 went out, Neil made the following changes:
>
>     Rename pg_complete_relation_size() to
>     pg_total_relation_size(), for the sake of brevity and clarity.
>
>     Make pg_reload_conf(), pg_rotate_logfile(), and pg_cancel_backend()
>     return a boolean rather than an integer to indicate success or
>     failure.

> The plausible alternatives seem to be:
>
> 1.  Leave it as-is.

+1

I prefer the changes and if the choice is do it now or do them in 8.2
(they are improvements), then I choose to take them now.

--

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, mark@mark.mielke.cc wrote:

> I don't get a vote - but I do want to suggest, as a user, that I get
> generally annoyed with the presence of interfaces with names that
> were chosen for historical reasons, but are maintained only for
> compatibility, and either never did, or no longer apply.
>
> I'd rather you left it fixed. Returning it to the old name, for the
> sake of process, and no other good reason, doesn't appeal to me. It is
> a lesson learned. We move on. Enforce the process next time. Self
> inflicted punishment is somewhat masochistic. :-)

If we don't enforce the process this time, why would we enforce it next
time?

You either always enforce it, or never ... you don't pick and choose
though ...

----

Date:
On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> Just before 8.1beta2 went out, Neil made the following changes:
>
>     Rename pg_complete_relation_size() to
>     pg_total_relation_size(), for the sake of brevity and clarity.
>
>     Make pg_reload_conf(), pg_rotate_logfile(), and pg_cancel_backend()
>     return a boolean rather than an integer to indicate success or
>     failure.
>
> (BTW, this is by no means solely Neil's fault, because both Bruce and I
> encouraged him to proceed.)
>
> Several people have opined that we ought to revert one or both of these
> changes.  The arguments in favor of reversion are basically
>
> (a) we failed to follow normal development process.  The names and
> APIs of these functions were already hashed out in long discussions
> months ago, so second-guessing them with relatively little discussion
> is at best impolite.
>
> (b) pg_cancel_backend() was already in 8.0, and so changing it now
> represents an API break, for which being "a little cleaner" is not
> sufficient justification.
>
> As against that, changing them back now might just confuse matters even
> more.  And I tend to agree with Neil's judgment that the new definitions
> are cleaner in themselves.
>
> We need to make a decision before releasing beta3.  We've already forced
> an initdb for beta3, so we can change "for free" now, but it's entirely
> possible that there will be no additional opportunity before 8.1 final.
>
> Some private discussion among core didn't result in any clear consensus,
> so it seems the best thing to do is throw the matter out for a vote on
> pgsql-hackers.
>
> The plausible alternatives seem to be:
>
> 1.  Leave it as-is.
>
> 2.  Revert the result type of pg_cancel_backend() to int, but leave the
>    rest as-is (minimum change to avoid a compatibility break with 8.0).
>
> 3.  Revert all three result-type changes, in the name of consistency.
>
> 4.  Revert all four changes, on the grounds that we shouldn't allow such
>    a violation of process.

I vote for this one, else we are setting a precedent that this sort of
thing during a beta freeze is acceptable, which it shouldn't be :(

----

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 09:27:55PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Just before 8.1beta2 went out, Neil made the following changes:
>
>     Rename pg_complete_relation_size() to
>     pg_total_relation_size(), for the sake of brevity and clarity.
>
>     Make pg_reload_conf(), pg_rotate_logfile(), and pg_cancel_backend()
>     return a boolean rather than an integer to indicate success or
>     failure.
>
> (BTW, this is by no means solely Neil's fault, because both Bruce and I
> encouraged him to proceed.)
>
> Several people have opined that we ought to revert one or both of these
> changes.  The arguments in favor of reversion are basically
>
> (a) we failed to follow normal development process.  The names and
> APIs of these functions were already hashed out in long discussions
> months ago, so second-guessing them with relatively little discussion
> is at best impolite.
>
> (b) pg_cancel_backend() was already in 8.0, and so changing it now
> represents an API break, for which being "a little cleaner" is not
> sufficient justification.
>
> As against that, changing them back now might just confuse matters even
> more.  And I tend to agree with Neil's judgment that the new definitions
> are cleaner in themselves.
>
> We need to make a decision before releasing beta3.  We've already forced
> an initdb for beta3, so we can change "for free" now, but it's entirely
> possible that there will be no additional opportunity before 8.1 final.
>
> Some private discussion among core didn't result in any clear consensus,
> so it seems the best thing to do is throw the matter out for a vote on
> pgsql-hackers.
>
> The plausible alternatives seem to be:
>
> 1.  Leave it as-is.

+1, for what it's worth.

phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

Date:
mark@mark.mielke.cc wrote:
> I don't get a vote - but I do want to suggest, as a user, that I get
> generally annoyed with the presence of interfaces with names that
> were chosen for historical reasons, but are maintained only for
> compatibility, and either never did, or no longer apply.
>
> I'd rather you left it fixed. Returning it to the old name, for the
> sake of process, and no other good reason, doesn't appeal to me. It is
> a lesson learned. We move on. Enforce the process next time. Self
> inflicted punishment is somewhat masochistic. :-)

I agree with this sentiment.  It is not like this happens regularly and
we need to punish someone.  Mistakes happen in process, but it is
usually not intentional, meaning fear of punishment isn't effective, or
even desirable.

If it happened regularly by a single individual, that would be a
different story.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

>> 1.  Leave it as-is.

+1 From here..

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 10:57:33PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, mark@mark.mielke.cc wrote:
>
> >I don't get a vote - but I do want to suggest, as a user, that I get
> >generally annoyed with the presence of interfaces with names that
> >were chosen for historical reasons, but are maintained only for
> >compatibility, and either never did, or no longer apply.
> >
> >I'd rather you left it fixed. Returning it to the old name, for the
> >sake of process, and no other good reason, doesn't appeal to me.

It's not just for the sake of process.  It's because the pgAdmin guys,
who were the ones which invented the API and the users of it, are
already using it with this interface.  Changing it means they take the
compatibility hit.  However, I question how hard the compatibility hit
is -- for the return type, isn't it a matter of testing two possible
values instead of one?  The naming case is harder, but how much?

My vote is to not change them again.

> >It is
> >a lesson learned. We move on. Enforce the process next time. Self
> >inflicted punishment is somewhat masochistic. :-)
>
> If we don't enforce the process this time, why would we enforce it next
> time?

Because we will know better.

--
Alvaro Herrera                         Architect, http://www.EnterpriseDB.com
"La fuerza no está en los medios físicos

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
Just my two cents... but I prefer option 1.

2005/10/6, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 10:57:33PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, mark@mark.mielke.cc wrote:
> >
> > >I don't get a vote - but I do want to suggest, as a user, that I get
> > >generally annoyed with the presence of interfaces with names that
> > >were chosen for historical reasons, but are maintained only for
> > >compatibility, and either never did, or no longer apply.
> > >
> > >I'd rather you left it fixed. Returning it to the old name, for the
> > >sake of process, and no other good reason, doesn't appeal to me.
>
> It's not just for the sake of process.  It's because the pgAdmin guys,
> who were the ones which invented the API and the users of it, are
> already using it with this interface.  Changing it means they take the
> compatibility hit.  However, I question how hard the compatibility hit
> is -- for the return type, isn't it a matter of testing two possible
> values instead of one?  The naming case is harder, but how much?
>
> My vote is to not change them again.
>
> > >It is
> > >a lesson learned. We move on. Enforce the process next time. Self
> > >inflicted punishment is somewhat masochistic. :-)
> >
> > If we don't enforce the process this time, why would we enforce it next
> > time?
>
> Because we will know better.
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera                         Architect, http://www.EnterpriseDB.com
> "La fuerza no está en los medios físicos
> sino que reside en una voluntad indomable" (Gandhi)

Respectfully,

Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation
http://www.enterprisedb.com/

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
"Dave Page"

Thanks Alvaro :-). More by luck than judgement we actually weren't
affected by any of the changes in the end. I do think that
pg_cancel_backend should be reverted given that it is a change from 8.0
as opposed to being completely new, and I definitely think we need to
ensure that this sort of thing doesn't happen again in beta without very
good reason.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
"Dave Page"

+1 (I do know people who will need to modify scripts because of this
change), though I'm obviously not going to win having already scanned
the entire thread :-)

/D

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
Andreas Pflug
Tom Lane wrote:

> As against that, changing them back now might just confuse matters even
> more.  And I tend to agree with Neil's judgment that the new definitions
> are cleaner in themselves.

When talking about cleanliness of the definition, a name like
"pg_stat_file" seems quite unfortunate since in the presence of many
pg_stat_* statistics functions it sounds like a function dealing with
statistics files. The pg_*_file names were actually not discussed
exhaustively, originally posted as pg_file_*.

Taking from this, a clean naming convention would require
pg_backend_cancel (and pg_file_stat), extending this beta2->beta3
changes even more but leaving backward compatibility if the int
pg_cancel_backend isn't replaced, but accompanied by a clean bool version.

As Dave already pointed out, pgAdmin isn't affected itself, since we
need some additional functions anyway to remain 8.0 compatibility.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
mark@mark.mielke.cc
Date:
Not that I want this to become a flame war - but because two separate
people challenged my opinion, and I only wish to clarify what it is... :-)

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 10:32:12PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 10:57:33PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, mark@mark.mielke.cc wrote:
> > >I don't get a vote - but I do want to suggest, as a user, that I get
> > >generally annoyed with the presence of interfaces with names that
> > >were chosen for historical reasons, but are maintained only for
> > >compatibility, and either never did, or no longer apply.
> > >I'd rather you left it fixed. Returning it to the old name, for the
> > >sake of process, and no other good reason, doesn't appeal to me.
> It's not just for the sake of process.  It's because the pgAdmin guys,
> who were the ones which invented the API and the users of it, are
> already using it with this interface.  Changing it means they take the
> compatibility hit.  However, I question how hard the compatibility hit
> is -- for the return type, isn't it a matter of testing two possible
> values instead of one?  The naming case is harder, but how much?

If it is to be changed in the future, say, 8.2, I don't believe this
point has merit. If, however, it would not be changed in the future,
say, 8.2, you are correct.

> > >It is
> > >a lesson learned. We move on. Enforce the process next time. Self
> > >inflicted punishment is somewhat masochistic. :-)
> > If we don't enforce the process this time, why would we enforce it next
> > time?
> Because we will know better.

Yes. And because the people involved are not children. They are mature
adults. :-)

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________
 One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all                      and in the darkness
bindthem...

                          http://mark.mielke.cc/

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Friday 07 October 2005 03:50, Dave Page wrote:
> [...]

I'm sympathetic to this, but doesn't it seem worse to have this one function
return int if all the others return boolean?   Also they don't need to modify
scripts, can't they just write thier own pg_cacnel_backend to return int
based on the boolean version?

--
Robert Treat

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
"Dave Page"

It's not pretty, but then how many other names might we change these
days because they don't fit in with current thinking?

>  Also they
> don't need to modify
> scripts, can't they just write thier own pg_cacnel_backend to
> return int
> based on the boolean version?

No, because you can't overload based purely on return type. I suppose
they could write it to take an int8 pid or something, but that's a hack.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

Date:
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
>> Also they
>> don't need to modify
>> scripts, can't they just write thier own pg_cacnel_backend to
>> return int
>> based on the boolean version?

> No, because you can't overload based purely on return type. I suppose
> they could write it to take an int8 pid or something, but that's a hack.

Well, how many people want to vote for Andreas' suggestion of having
both
int pg_cancel_backend(int)bool pg_backend_cancel(int)

with the former deprecated but still there for backward compatibility?

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> >> Also they
> >> don't need to modify
> >> scripts, can't they just write thier own pg_cacnel_backend to
> >> return int
> >> based on the boolean version?
>
> > No, because you can't overload based purely on return type. I suppose
> > they could write it to take an int8 pid or something, but that's a hack.
>
> Well, how many people want to vote for Andreas' suggestion of having
> both
>
>     int pg_cancel_backend(int)
>     bool pg_backend_cancel(int)
>
> with the former deprecated but still there for backward compatibility?

-1, too confusing.  We have always been willing to modify API's,
especially for admin stuff, as we add features.  If we keep everything
around, we end up like Oracle.  That has VARCHAR2 written all over it. :-)

Pennsylvania19073

Date:
On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 11:56:50AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> > No, because you can't overload based purely on return type. I suppose
> > they could write it to take an int8 pid or something, but that's a hack.
>
> Well, how many people want to vote for Andreas' suggestion of having
> both
>
>     int pg_cancel_backend(int)
>     bool pg_backend_cancel(int)
>
> with the former deprecated but still there for backward compatibility?

+1

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34
"Siempre hay que alimentar a los dioses, aunque la tierra esté seca" (Orual)

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
Anjali.Sinha@relianceinfo.com
Date:
Unsubscribe me. Or Can anyone forward me the emailId of the concerned
person..??

Regards,
Anjali Sinha
ASCG, Reliance Infocomm
J Block, SB-11, 2nd Floor,
Dhirubhai Ambani Knowledge City,
Thane Belapur Road, New Mumbai India, 400 709
DID: 91 22 30387862

                                                                                           Alvaro Herrera
                                        <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.or        To:       Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
         g>                             cc:       Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>, Robert Treat
Sent by:                        <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>, pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org, (bcc: Anjali
      pgsql-hackers-owner@pos         Sinha/INFOCOMM/RIL)                     tgresql.org                    Subject:
Re:[HACKERS] Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?                                              Importance: Normal
Sender'sOU: Reliance |------------------|
|------------------|

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 11:56:50AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> > No, because you can't overload based purely on return type. I suppose
> > they could write it to take an int8 pid or something, but that's a
hack.

> Well, how many people want to vote for Andreas' suggestion of having
> both
>
>            int pg_cancel_backend(int)
>            bool pg_backend_cancel(int)
>
> with the former deprecated but still there for backward compatibility?

+1

--
Alvaro Herrera
http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34
"Siempre hay que alimentar a los dioses, aunque la tierra esté seca"
(Orual)

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
IMHO, it leads to more maintenance work to support backward
compatibility.  Can we give it a desupport version such as saying,
"it's currently deprecated and will be completely removed in 8.2, 8.3,
...?"  That way, supporting the both for the short-term wouldn't be
too wasteful.

( sorry Tom, GMAIL defaults to REPLY not REPLY ALL :( )

Date:
On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 12:08 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 11:56:50AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > > No, because you can't overload based purely on return type. I suppose
> > > they could write it to take an int8 pid or something, but that's a hack.
> >
> > Well, how many people want to vote for Andreas' suggestion of having
> > both
> >
> >     int pg_cancel_backend(int)
> >     bool pg_backend_cancel(int)
> >
> > with the former deprecated but still there for backward compatibility?
>
> +1

I would vote for this "if" we deprecate the old one and say that it will
be removed for 8.2.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
> "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> >> Also they
> >> don't need to modify
> >> scripts, can't they just write thier own pg_cacnel_backend to
> >> return int
> >> based on the boolean version?
>
> > No, because you can't overload based purely on return type. I suppose
> > they could write it to take an int8 pid or something, but that's a hack.
>
> Well, how many people want to vote for Andreas' suggestion of having
> both
>
>     int pg_cancel_backend(int)
>     bool pg_backend_cancel(int)
>
> with the former deprecated but still there for backward compatibility?

I could vote for:
       bool pg_query_cancel(int)
backend_cancel or cancel_backend sounds like it should terminate the
entire backend like kill -TERM would do.
--

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
"Dave Page"

Oh no, what have I started!! :-)

Let's just make the change and let the few people affected modify their
scripts, otherwise this is gonna get very messy.

Thankfully I think we've all learnt from this :-)

Regards, Dave.

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
"Aly S.P Dharshi"
Date:
Yeah this is a good point, if you say okay folks we will keep this for you
till version 8.2 or whatever and then you are on your own, with major
notices wherever reasonable, manuals et al. then I would throw my vote for
this, given I am entitled to a vote.

ASD.

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Jonah H. Harris wrote:

> IMHO, it leads to more maintenance work to support backward
> compatibility.  Can we give it a desupport version such as saying,
> "it's currently deprecated and will be completely removed in 8.2, 8.3,
> ...?"  That way, supporting the both for the short-term wouldn't be
> too wasteful.
>
> ( sorry Tom, GMAIL defaults to REPLY not REPLY ALL :( )

--
Aly S.P Dharshi
aly.dharshi@telus.net
     "A good speech is like a good dress      that's short enough to be interesting      and long enough to cover the
subject"

Date:
On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>> No, because you can't overload based purely on return type. I suppose
>>> they could write it to take an int8 pid or something, but that's a hack.
>>
>> Well, how many people want to vote for Andreas' suggestion of having
>> both
>>
>>     int pg_cancel_backend(int)
>>     bool pg_backend_cancel(int)
>>
>> with the former deprecated but still there for backward compatibility?
>
> -1, too confusing.  We have always been willing to modify API's,
> especially for admin stuff, as we add features.  If we keep everything
> around, we end up like Oracle.  That has VARCHAR2 written all over it. :-)

Actually, my only argument *against* the change was that it was during a
period where such changes were not supposed to happen ... so I vote in
favor of reverting (as Tom suggests above) and then removing
pg_cancel_backend altogether for 8.2 ...

----

Date:
On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> Well, how many people want to vote for Andreas' suggestion of having
>>> both
>>>
>>>     int pg_cancel_backend(int)
>>>     bool pg_backend_cancel(int)
>>>
>>> with the former deprecated but still there for backward compatibility?
>>
>> +1
>
> I would vote for this "if" we deprecate the old one and say that it will
> be removed for 8.2.

Agreed 100% ...

----

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
See the bottom of the email that has links to how to unsubscribe from the
list .. *all* lists have this appended to the bottom of the emails ...

----

Dave Page wrote:

> Oh no, what have I started!! :-)

In order to keep traffic on this list low, both of us should be
excluded...;-)

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> > Well, how many people want to vote for Andreas' suggestion
> of having
> > both
> >
> >     int pg_cancel_backend(int)
> >     bool pg_backend_cancel(int)
> >
> > with the former deprecated but still there for backward
> compatibility?
>
> Oh no, what have I started!! :-)
>
> Let's just make the change and let the few people affected
> modify their scripts, otherwise this is gonna get very messy.

Yeah. As one who has been bitten when I tested a system on the new
version, I still think it's reasonably easy. It's not like queries using
pg_cancel_backend are scattered throughout an app. In my case it's in a
single place, and it's easy enough to work around it.
(My solution: write a tiny wrapper SQL function that looks different
when running on 8.0 and 8.1)

If we deprecate it and say "gone in 8.2", I'm going to have to write
this wrapper anyway. And if we don't set a schedule for when it's gone,
we might as well not deprecate it, and that would make it very messy...

> Thankfully I think we've all learnt from this :-)

Yup, that's the main thing. This time it wasn't too bad (as it only
affected a seldom-used function), it might not be next time if we do it
again.

//Magnus

Date:
> > > No, because you can't overload based purely on return type. I
> > > suppose they could write it to take an int8 pid or
> something, but that's a hack.
> >
> > Well, how many people want to vote for Andreas' suggestion
> of having
> > both
> >
> >     int pg_cancel_backend(int)
> >     bool pg_backend_cancel(int)
> >
> > with the former deprecated but still there for backward
> compatibility?
>
> I could vote for:
>
>         bool pg_query_cancel(int)
>
> backend_cancel or cancel_backend sounds like it should
> terminate the entire backend like kill -TERM would do.

IIRC, the original discussion had a possible pg_query_cancel(int)
functoin that would cancel a query based on XID or something like that,
and we wanted to differentiate from that. (No such function was ever
created, but it was the reason, IIRC)

Note that at this time there was also a pg_backend_terminate(int) that
would terminate the backend (in fact, IIRC it's still in the code, but
commented out). When both exist, the difference is clear...

//Magnus

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

Date:
"Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
>> I could vote for:
>>
>> bool pg_query_cancel(int)
>>
>> backend_cancel or cancel_backend sounds like it should
>> terminate the entire backend like kill -TERM would do.

> IIRC, the original discussion had a possible pg_query_cancel(int)
> functoin that would cancel a query based on XID or something like that,
> and we wanted to differentiate from that. (No such function was ever
> created, but it was the reason, IIRC)

Right.  Rod's suggestion is superficially more logical, but it doesn't
fit into the plans for future extension of the capability.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
You're absolutely right of course...

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
Dave Page wrote:

> Oh no, what have I started!! :-)

In order to keep traffic on this list low, both of us should be
excluded...;-)

Regards,
Andreas

Issue is changing _bt_compare function and btcompare.c file

From
sandeep satpal
Date:
Hello all,

In _bt_compare function , instead of calling FunctionCall2 , I want to
call FunctionCall3 with three parameter and in
btcompare.c  "btname_pattern_cmp"  function will take three parameter and
i want to  change this function according to third parameter.

But the biggest issue is initdb is also using this index for creating and
initializing its own index structure ( may be meta index sorts of )

So how I solve this issue...please guide me...
thanx
sandeep

--
------------------
| Sandeep Satpal |

Re: Issue is changing _bt_compare function and

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Sat, 2005-08-10 at 00:42 +0530, sandeep satpal wrote:
> ... please guide me

Two suggestions:

(1) Don't start new threads by replying to an existing thread of no
relevance to the new subject

(2) Spend some time phrasing your question in a coherent manner --
you're more likely to get a useful response. Read

For example, what is the actual high-level problem you are trying to
solve? How are you attempting to solve it, and exactly what difficulties
have you encountered in doing so?

-Neil

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
Simon Riggs
Date:

> (b) pg_cancel_backend() was already in 8.0, and so changing it now
> represents an API break, for which being "a little cleaner" is not
> sufficient justification.

> 2.  Revert the result type of pg_cancel_backend() to int, but leave the
>     rest as-is (minimum change to avoid a compatibility break with 8.0).

Seems like the best way to go, without reading other posts.

ISTM one day somebody will want to return an error state other than
success/fail from that function and we would end up back here anyway.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: Issue is changing _bt_compare function and

From
sandeep satpal
Date:
Hello,
Sorry for last mail.
I hope this time I will explain my doubt more clearly.

The _bt_compare function in "nbtree.c" file calls "FunctionCall2" and it
passes two arguments , one is the scankey which we want to search on and
other  key is on current b-tree node.

My problem is I want to pass three parameter and the third argument will
be used for taking decision during comparision that whether I want
case-sensitive comparision or case-insensitive.

But "initdb" also uses the same _bt_compare function for creating its own
For eg. when we write /usr/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/data
And my modification may create problems.
How I solve this ??
Hope this time I had explained in more clear way...
thanx,

--
------------------
| Sandeep Satpal |

Re: Issue is changing _bt_compare function and

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 12:48:50PM +0530, sandeep satpal wrote:
> The _bt_compare function in "nbtree.c" file calls "FunctionCall2" and it
> passes two arguments , one is the scankey which we want to search on and
> other  key is on current b-tree node.
>
> My problem is I want to pass three parameter and the third argument will
> be used for taking decision during comparision that whether I want
> case-sensitive comparision or case-insensitive.

Well, if you want to pass a third argument, go ahead. Just make sure
you update all the appropriate function calls.

> But "initdb" also uses the same _bt_compare function for creating its own
> For eg.
>  when we write /usr/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/data
> And my modification may create problems.
> How I solve this ??

Well, _bt_compare is used for every btree index in the system,
including all the system indexes. A fresh initdb already has several
dozen indexes already so your code has to deal with that.

Remember, _bt_compare compares strings, integers, floats, dates, etc
and your code needs to work for all of them too... What does it mean to
compare dates case-insensetivly?

Hope this helps,

Date:
sandeep satpal wrote:

> The _bt_compare function in "nbtree.c" file calls "FunctionCall2" and it
> passes two arguments , one is the scankey which we want to search on and
> other  key is on current b-tree node.
>
> My problem is I want to pass three parameter and the third argument will
> be used for taking decision during comparision that whether I want
> case-sensitive comparision or case-insensitive.

This is certainly the wrong layer to be making these changes.  Have you
considered using the citext type?  If it doesn't suit you, you could use
it as a foundation for developing your own.

What you need to change is the function stored in the scankey.

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34
Voy a acabar con todos los humanos / con los humanos yo acabaré

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 12:22:14PM -0400, Rod Taylor wrote:
> I could vote for:
>
>         bool pg_query_cancel(int)
>
> backend_cancel or cancel_backend sounds like it should terminate the
> entire backend like kill -TERM would do.

Agreed. In fact, I thought that's what it actually did.

Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
While it's important to stick with policies lest they become useless, I
think the bigger picture needs to be remembered: the policies are in
place to produce good design decisions and to not let the development
cycle drag out uncontrollably. In this case, ISTM that there is now a
better naming scheme than what was originally discussed, and IMHO it's
defeatist to ignore that just because we're in beta. It would absolutely
have been better to have changed the names before entering beta, just
like it's absolutely better to change the names now rather than after
8.1.

I'd vote for officially #1 + depricating the old cancel_backend as of a
specific version (ie 8.2 or 8.3).

Date:
On Sat, 8 Oct 2005, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 12:22:14PM -0400, Rod Taylor wrote:
>> I could vote for:
>>
>>         bool pg_query_cancel(int)
>>
>> backend_cancel or cancel_backend sounds like it should terminate the
>> entire backend like kill -TERM would do.
>
> Agreed. In fact, I thought that's what it actually did.

Oh good, I wasn't going to say anything, but that was what I thought it
did too :(

----

Re: Issue is changing _bt_compare function and

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> Well, _bt_compare is used for every btree index in the system,
> including all the system indexes. A fresh initdb already has several
> dozen indexes already so your code has to deal with that.
>
> Remember, _bt_compare compares strings, integers, floats, dates, etc
> and your code needs to work for all of them too... What does it mean to
> compare dates case-insensetivly?

Yes, shouldn't you just be making a simple new string type that's case
insensitive?

Chris