8.1 release notes

Date:
I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
 http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1

I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 8.1 release notes

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 23:16:14 -0400, Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
>
>   http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
>
> I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
> review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.

I spotted a couple of typos:

I think that 'not' should be 'now' in the following:
In previous releases, the only way to use index for MIN/MAX was to rewrite the query as SELECT col FROM tab ORDER BY
colLIMIT 1. This not happens automatically.

I think that 'of' should be 'off' in the following:
To prevent partial disk writes from corrupting the database, PostgreSQL writes a complete copy of each database disk
pageto WAL the first time it is modified after a checkpoint. This turns of that functionality for users with
battery-backeddisk caches where partial page writes can not happen.

I don't think you want a double negative ('not' and 'INconsistant') in the
following:
In release 8.0, carriage returns and line feeds in CSV COPY TO were not processed in a inconsitent manner. (This was
documentedon the TODO list.)

Re: 8.1 release notes

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Bruce,

I think I took part in GiST concurrency and recovery project.
    Oleg
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
>
>  http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
>
> I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
> review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: 8.1 release notes

From
"Mario Weilguni"
JFYI:

"Allow indexes to be used for MIN/MAX (Tom)

In previous releases, the only way to use index for MIN/MAX was to
rewrite the query as SELECT col FROM tab ORDER BY col LIMIT 1. This not
happens automatically."

I guess this should read "This now happens automatically"

Regards,Mario Weilguni

I think I took part in GiST concurrency and recovery project.
    Oleg
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
>

> http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-
> 8-1
>
> I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
> review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.

    Regards,        Oleg
Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet, Sternberg
Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: 8.1 release notes

From
Michael Paesold
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
>
>   http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
>
> I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
> review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.

I think this is an understatement and does not really say what was done:
Replace pg_shadow and pg_group by new role-capable catalogs pg_authid
and pg_auth_members.

I would include something like "Implement SQL-compliant ROLE support...".

I believe "Make default_with_oids default to false" and "Change
add_missing_from to 'false'" should be mentioned in the "Migration" section.
This section should say "Migration to version 8.1" instead of "Migration
to version 8.0".

"This caused CREATE DATABASE to sometimes fail because a new database
can not be created if anyone else is in the template database."
Shouldn't this read:
"This caused CREATE DATABASE to sometimes fail because a new database
could not be created if anyone else was in the template database."

"With this change, the default connection database is now 'postgres',
meaning is is much less likely someone will be using template1 during
CREATE DATABASE."
... meaning it is much less likely ...

There are some items that are appended to the last one. E.g. "Fix
interval division and multiplication (Bruce)"
Other times, the additional comments have their own bullet.

These I don't really understand:
- Improve rtree index capabilities and performance (Neil)
- Replace rtree index code with code from /contrib/rtree_gist (Tom)

So first Neil improved the performance for rtree, then rtree was
replaced with rtree_gist? So Neil's optimizations are gone?

What file should I send patches against next time? ;-)

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

Re: 8.1 release notes

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Aug 23, 2005, at 6:07 PM, Michael Paesold wrote:

> "This caused CREATE DATABASE to sometimes fail because a new
> database can not be created if anyone else is in the template
> database."
> Shouldn't this read:
> "This caused CREATE DATABASE to sometimes fail because a new
> database could not be created if anyone else was in the template
> database."

iiuc, It's *always* the case that a new database can not be created
if anyone is connected to template1, so *can not be* is more
appropriate than *could not be*. It's still the case that if someone
is connected to template1 when a CREATE DATABASE is issued, the
command will fail.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: 8.1 release notes

Date:
Fixed.

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 23:16:14 -0400,
>   Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> > I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
> >
> >   http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
> >
> > I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
> > review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.
>
> I spotted a couple of typos:
>
> I think that 'not' should be 'now' in the following:
> In previous releases, the only way to use index for MIN/MAX was to rewrite the query as SELECT col FROM tab ORDER BY
colLIMIT 1. This not happens automatically.

> I think that 'of' should be 'off' in the following:
> To prevent partial disk writes from corrupting the database, PostgreSQL writes a complete copy of each database disk
pageto WAL the first time it is modified after a checkpoint. This turns of that functionality for users with
battery-backeddisk caches where partial page writes can not happen.

> I don't think you want a double negative ('not' and 'INconsistant') in the
> following:
> In release 8.0, carriage returns and line feeds in CSV COPY TO were not processed in a inconsitent manner. (This was
documentedon the TODO list.)

>        match

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 8.1 release notes

Date:
Thanks, added.

Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> I think I took part in GiST concurrency and recovery project.
>
>      Oleg
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
> >
> >  http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
> >
> > I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
> > review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.
> >

>      Regards,
>          Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 8.1 release notes

Date:
Fixed.

Mario Weilguni wrote:
> JFYI:
>
> "Allow indexes to be used for MIN/MAX (Tom)
>
> In previous releases, the only way to use index for MIN/MAX was to
> rewrite the query as SELECT col FROM tab ORDER BY col LIMIT 1. This not
> happens automatically."
>
> I guess this should read "This now happens automatically"
>
> Regards,
>     Mario Weilguni

"Dave Page"
Date:
Hi Bruce,

Andreas did the initial version of the dbsize integration patch so should be included in the credit for that item.

Regards, Dave

I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
 http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1

I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.

Pennsylvania19073

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
 http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1

I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.

Pennsylvania19073

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: 8.1 release notes

Date:
Thanks, added.

Dave Page wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> Andreas did the initial version of the dbsize integration patch so should be included in the credit for that item.
>
> Regards, Dave

Havasvölgyi Ottó
Date:
Bruce,

I have also noticed a small error:

a.. Remove old *.backup files when we do pg_stop_backup() (Bruce)

a.. This prevents a large number of *.backup files from existing in
pg_xlog/.

I think there should not be a point on the left of the second line because
it's the details of the first line.

Best Regards,

Otto

>I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
>
>  http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
>
> I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
> review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.
>
> --
>  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
>  pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 359-1001
>  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
>  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
> 19073

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: 8.1 release notes

From
Andrew Dunstan

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
>
>  http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
>
>I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
>review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.

A couple of (other) items I have been involved with that might deserve a
mention:

. pl/perl support for strict mode
. improved regression framework, - separate db names for separate suites
(standard regression, PL, contrib), loadable languages, standardised
framework for PLs.

(We're still working in strict mode but we'll get it fixed in the next
few days)

And I am not sure if this counts as a bug fix or a feature :-) :

. pl/perl logging of non-fatal warnings

cheers

andrew

Re: 8.1 release notes

Date:
Michael Paesold wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
> >
> >   http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
> >
> > I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
> > review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.
>
> I think this is an understatement and does not really say what was done:
> Replace pg_shadow and pg_group by new role-capable catalogs pg_authid
> and pg_auth_members.
>
> I would include something like "Implement SQL-compliant ROLE support...".

Yes, I still need to add text for some of the items.

> I believe "Make default_with_oids default to false" and "Change
> add_missing_from to 'false'" should be mentioned in the "Migration" section.
> This section should say "Migration to version 8.1" instead of "Migration
> to version 8.0".
>
> "This caused CREATE DATABASE to sometimes fail because a new database
> can not be created if anyone else is in the template database."
> Shouldn't this read:
> "This caused CREATE DATABASE to sometimes fail because a new database
> could not be created if anyone else was in the template database."
>
> "With this change, the default connection database is now 'postgres',
> meaning is is much less likely someone will be using template1 during
> CREATE DATABASE."
> ... meaning it is much less likely ...
>
> There are some items that are appended to the last one. E.g. "Fix
> interval division and multiplication (Bruce)"
> Other times, the additional comments have their own bullet.

Above fixed.

> These I don't really understand:
> - Improve rtree index capabilities and performance (Neil)
> - Replace rtree index code with code from /contrib/rtree_gist (Tom)
>
> So first Neil improved the performance for rtree, then rtree was
> replaced with rtree_gist? So Neil's optimizations are gone?

I was wondering about this too. I will add a ? to the item.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 8.1 release notes

Date:
Fixed.

Date:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> >I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
> >
> >  http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
> >
> >I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
> >review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.
> >

> A couple of (other) items I have been involved with that might deserve a
> mention:
>
> . pl/perl support for strict mode

That was completed after I pulled CVS, I think.  It will be updated
later.

> . improved regression framework, - separate db names for separate suites
> (standard regression, PL, contrib), loadable languages, standardised
> framework for PLs.

That isn't something we usually mention in the release notes, but I can
under "source code".

> (We're still working in strict mode but we'll get it fixed in the next
> few days)
>
> And I am not sure if this counts as a bug fix or a feature :-) :
>
> . pl/perl logging of non-fatal warnings

Uh, not really.  I saw the commit message but what does it mean?
Pennsylvania19073

Re: 8.1 release notes

Date:
OK, updated.  When I read "migrate" I thought "move".

Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Paesold <mpaesold@gmx.at> writes:
> > These I don't really understand:
> > - Improve rtree index capabilities and performance (Neil)
> > - Replace rtree index code with code from /contrib/rtree_gist (Tom)
>
> Not sure how Bruce got the latter out of this commit message:
>
>     Migrate rtree_gist functionality into the core system, and add some
>     basic regression tests for GiST to the standard regression tests.
>
> All that's really happened is that GiST actually has a couple of
> opclasses in the core system now, whereas previously they were all
> contrib (meaning that GiST was dead weight in a standard installation).
>
> It's also now true that everything you can do with the standard rtree
> opclasses, you can do with standard GiST opclasses.
>
> There was some talk of obsoleting rtree further down the road, but it
> isn't happening in 8.1.  If no serious bugs crop up in all the new GiST
> work Teodor and Oleg did, we might consider obsoleting rtree in 8.2.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 8.1 release notes

Date:

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>. pl/perl support for strict mode
>>

>That was completed after I pulled CVS, I think.  It will be updated
>later.

Actually, it snuck in with one of Abhijit's patches.

>>And I am not sure if this counts as a bug fix or a feature :-) :
>>
>>. pl/perl logging of non-fatal warnings
>>

>Uh, not really.  I saw the commit message but what does it mean?

Before this patch, any non-fatal perl warning, either generated by perl
itself of by the user calling the builtin function warn(), was dropped
in the bit bucket. Now it is logged at NOTICE level.

cheers

andrew

Re: 8.1 release notes

Date:
Added.  Thanks.

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> >>. pl/perl support for strict mode
> >>

> >That was completed after I pulled CVS, I think.  It will be updated
> >later.
> >

> Actually, it snuck in with one of Abhijit's patches.
>

> >>And I am not sure if this counts as a bug fix or a feature :-) :
> >>
> >>. pl/perl logging of non-fatal warnings
> >>

> >Uh, not really.  I saw the commit message but what does it mean?
> >

> Before this patch, any non-fatal perl warning, either generated by perl
> itself of by the user calling the builtin function warn(), was dropped
> in the bit bucket. Now it is logged at NOTICE level.
>
> cheers
>
> andrew

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 8.1 release notes

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 11:16:14PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
>
>   http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
>
> I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
> review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.

Is a dump/restore required for upgrading from 8.0.x? It might be nice to
note what features require this (2PC?).
Pervasive Software        http://pervasive.com        512-569-9461

Re: 8.1 release notes

Date:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 11:16:14PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
> >
> >   http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
> >
> > I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
> > review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.
>
> Is a dump/restore required for upgrading from 8.0.x? It might be nice to
> note what features require this (2PC?).

Major releases always require a dump/reload because of regular system
catalog and heap/index changes during development.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 8.1 release notes

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 03:57:52PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 11:16:14PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
> > >
> > >   http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
> > >
> > > I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
> > > review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.
> >
> > Is a dump/restore required for upgrading from 8.0.x? It might be nice to
> > note what features require this (2PC?).
>
> Major releases always require a dump/reload because of regular system
> catalog and heap/index changes during development.

Duh, I was equating major version number to requiring pg_dump... it's
just been too long since 7.3->7.4. Sorry. :)
Pervasive Software        http://pervasive.com        512-569-9461

Re: 8.1 release notes

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
* Bruce Momjian (pgman@candle.pha.pa.us) wrote:
>   http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1

Regarding E.1.3.4 (Object Manipulation Changes):

---------
Allow ALTER OWNER commands to be performed by the object owner as well
as the superuser (Stephen Frost)

Prior releases only allowed super-user to change object owners, even if
the current owner was executing the command and the new owner have
permission to create objects of that type.
---------

This isn't *quite* right and implies an ability some might frown upon
("giving away" objects) that isn't actually allowed by my changes.
How about:

---------
Allow ALTER OWNER commands to be performed by the object owner (Stephen
Frost)

Prior releases only allowed a single user to own an object.  With the
addition of role support (where a role can own an object and that role
can have members) it's now possible for multiple users to have ownership
rights on a given object.  ALTER OWNER has been updated to allow
changing the ownership of an object when the user has ownership rights
on the object, is in the new owner role, and the new owner role has
the right to create the object.
---------

Unfortunately, though there was some discussion on it, it seems that the
new owner role must have rights to create the object even if the user
doing the ALTER OWNER owns the schema/db in question.  This means a user
would have to first grant create privileges to the unpriviledged role,
change the ownership to that role, and then reokve the create privileges.
This also means that a number of explicit 'superuser()' checks were
added after I had worked to minimize them.  I'd still like to see the
explicit superuser() checks removed in favor of checking schema
ownership but I'm guessing it's too late for that now.

Perhaps after 8.1 is released we'll get some conversation regarding
these kinds of things which goes beyond just Tom and I.  I don't mind
discussing it with Tom but it'd be nice to get some fresh viewpoints on
the subject and eventually "I think it's better", "I don't like it" gets
kind of boring and can be difficult to work past (well, except he has
commit access and I don't... ;).
Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: 8.1 release notes

Date:
Stephen Frost wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> * Bruce Momjian (pgman@candle.pha.pa.us) wrote:
> >   http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
>
> Regarding E.1.3.4 (Object Manipulation Changes):
>
> ---------
> Allow ALTER OWNER commands to be performed by the object owner as well
> as the superuser (Stephen Frost)
>
> Prior releases only allowed super-user to change object owners, even if
> the current owner was executing the command and the new owner have
> permission to create objects of that type.
> ---------
>
> This isn't *quite* right and implies an ability some might frown upon
> ("giving away" objects) that isn't actually allowed by my changes.
> How about:
>
> ---------
> Allow ALTER OWNER commands to be performed by the object owner (Stephen
> Frost)
>
> Prior releases only allowed a single user to own an object.  With the
> addition of role support (where a role can own an object and that role
> can have members) it's now possible for multiple users to have ownership
> rights on a given object.  ALTER OWNER has been updated to allow
> changing the ownership of an object when the user has ownership rights
> on the object, is in the new owner role, and the new owner role has
> the right to create the object.
> ---------
>
> Unfortunately, though there was some discussion on it, it seems that the
> new owner role must have rights to create the object even if the user
> doing the ALTER OWNER owns the schema/db in question.  This means a user
> would have to first grant create privileges to the unpriviledged role,
> change the ownership to that role, and then reokve the create privileges.
> This also means that a number of explicit 'superuser()' checks were
> added after I had worked to minimize them.  I'd still like to see the
> explicit superuser() checks removed in favor of checking schema
> ownership but I'm guessing it's too late for that now.

Good description, updated to:
       Allow limited <command>ALTER OWNER</> commands to be performed       by the object owner (Stephen Frost)
       Prior releases allowed only the super-user to change object owners,       even if the current owner was
executingthe command and the new       owner was in the same group.  With roles such transfers are now       possible.
    Allow limited <command>ALTER OWNER</> commands to be performed       by the object owner (Stephen Frost)

       Prior releases allowed only the super-user to change object owners,       even if the current owner was
executingthe command and the new       owner was in the same group.  With roles such transfers are now       possible.

> Perhaps after 8.1 is released we'll get some conversation regarding
> these kinds of things which goes beyond just Tom and I.  I don't mind
> discussing it with Tom but it'd be nice to get some fresh viewpoints on
> the subject and eventually "I think it's better", "I don't like it" gets
> kind of boring and can be difficult to work past (well, except he has
> commit access and I don't... ;).

Most people don't know what roles are, but with them described in 8.1
release, we will have more people available to discuss in the future.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 8.1 release notes

From
Darcy Buskermolen
Date:
On Monday 22 August 2005 20:16, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
>
>   http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
>
> I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
> review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.

I think the not in the following should be now.  (limits can not be enforced)

Add per-user and per-database connection limits (Petr Jelinek) Using ALTER USER and ALTER DATABASE, limits can not be
enforcedon the

maximum number of users who can connect as as a specific uesr or to a
specific database. Setting the limit to zero disables user or database
connections.

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.

http://www.wavefire.com
ph: 250.717.0200
fx: 250.763.1759

Re: 8.1 release notes

From
Darcy Buskermolen
Date:
On Monday 22 August 2005 20:16, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
>
>   http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
>
> I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
> review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.

Also I think
Allow TRUNCATE to truncate multiple files in a single command (Alvaro)
Should read tables or relations not files.

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.

http://www.wavefire.com
ph: 250.717.0200
fx: 250.763.1759

Re: 8.1 release notes

Date:
Thanks, fixed.

Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
> On Monday 22 August 2005 20:16, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
> >
> >   http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
> >
> > I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
> > review and for beta1.  I will work on it more tomorrow.
>
> I think the not in the following should be now.  (limits can not be enforced)
>
> Add per-user and per-database connection limits (Petr Jelinek)
>  Using ALTER USER and ALTER DATABASE, limits can not be enforced on the
> maximum number of users who can connect as as a specific uesr or to a
> specific database. Setting the limit to zero disables user or database
> connections.
>

> --
> Darcy Buskermolen
> Wavefire Technologies Corp.
>
> http://www.wavefire.com
> ph: 250.717.0200
> fx: 250.763.1759

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 8.1 release notes

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
OUT and INOUT work for PL/Perl but I don't see that mentioned in
E.1.3.8. General Server-Side Language Changes or in E.1.3.10. PL/Perl
Server-Side Language Changes.  The former mentions only SQL and
PL/pgSQL and says that "The feature will be extended to other PLs
in due course."

CREATE FUNCTION foo(IN x integer, INOUT y integer, OUT z integer) AS $$
return {y => $_[1], z => $_[0]};
$$ LANGUAGE plperl;

SELECT * FROM foo(1, 2);y | z
(1 row)