Autotools update

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
As previously announced I have committed the update to Autoconf 2.59 as
well as updates of mkinstalldirs, install-sh, as well as config.guess
and config.sub.  This shouldn't have any immediate functional impact,
except that you can now turn off the autom4te.cache directory (using
~/.autom4te.cfg).  Also, someone forgot to update pg_config.h.in after
the Kerberos 4 removal patch (I think), so I fixed that, too.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Autotools update

Date:
> As previously announced I have committed the update to Autoconf 2.59 as
> well as updates of mkinstalldirs, install-sh, as well as config.guess
> and config.sub.

Are the correct tools also installed on cvs.postgresql.org (ie, will the
right things happen when Marc tries to build a tarball)?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Autotools update

From
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane wrote:
> Are the correct tools also installed on cvs.postgresql.org (ie, will
> the right things happen when Marc tries to build a tarball)?

I don't see any autoconf installed there, so the wrong thing would
happen either way. :-)  But gnu-autoconf-2.59 is in the FreeBSD ports,
if it's required.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Autotools update

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Are the correct tools also installed on cvs.postgresql.org (ie, will
>> the right things happen when Marc tries to build a tarball)?
>
> I don't see any autoconf installed there, so the wrong thing would
> happen either way. :-)  But gnu-autoconf-2.59 is in the FreeBSD ports,
> if it's required.

Pick your version:

# ls -lt /usr/local/bin/autoconf*
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  7672 Aug 22  2004 /usr/local/bin/autoconf259
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  6194 Aug 22  2004 /usr/local/bin/autoconf253
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  5007 Jul 27  2003 /usr/local/bin/autoconf213

But, we only run those when modifying configure.in and such, and not as
part of any scripts ...

----

Re: Autotools update

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Pick your version:
>
> # ls -lt /usr/local/bin/autoconf*
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  7672 Aug 22  2004
> /usr/local/bin/autoconf259 -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  6194 Aug 22
> 2004 /usr/local/bin/autoconf253 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  5007 Jul
> 27  2003 /usr/local/bin/autoconf213
>
> But, we only run those when modifying configure.in and such, and not
> as part of any scripts ...

Btw., the FreeBSD ports have autoconf-2.59, which is a version patched
for FreeBSD use, and gnu-autoconf-2.59, which is the unmodified GNU
release, useful for folks like us, cooperating across many operating
systems.  Make sure you use the latter one.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Autotools update

From
"Marc G. Fournier"

'k, just checked, and we have the FreeBSD one installed, and always have
used in the in the past ... I can install the gnu-* one if you think it
will make a difference though, but I don't believe we've had any problem
reports on any of our past releases ... ?

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> Pick your version:
>>
>> # ls -lt /usr/local/bin/autoconf*
>> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  7672 Aug 22  2004
>> /usr/local/bin/autoconf259 -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  6194 Aug 22
>> 2004 /usr/local/bin/autoconf253 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  5007 Jul
>> 27  2003 /usr/local/bin/autoconf213
>>
>> But, we only run those when modifying configure.in and such, and not
>> as part of any scripts ...
>
> Btw., the FreeBSD ports have autoconf-2.59, which is a version patched
> for FreeBSD use, and gnu-autoconf-2.59, which is the unmodified GNU
> release, useful for folks like us, cooperating across many operating
> systems.  Make sure you use the latter one.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut
> http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

----

Re: Autotools update

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> 'k, just checked, and we have the FreeBSD one installed, and always
> have used in the in the past ... I can install the gnu-* one if you
> think it will make a difference though, but I don't believe we've had
> any problem reports on any of our past releases ... ?

I think it is the general understanding that we use GNU Autoconf, not
FreeBSD Autoconf, so the former is the one that should get used.  Also,
when the next person who is not using FreeBSD checks in a configure
update, we get useless diffs and divergences that we could happily do
without.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Autotools update

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > 'k, just checked, and we have the FreeBSD one installed, and always
> > have used in the in the past ... I can install the gnu-* one if you
> > think it will make a difference though, but I don't believe we've had
> > any problem reports on any of our past releases ... ?
>
> I think it is the general understanding that we use GNU Autoconf, not
> FreeBSD Autoconf, so the former is the one that should get used.  Also,
> when the next person who is not using FreeBSD checks in a configure
> update, we get useless diffs and divergences that we could happily do
> without.

Does the FreeBSD one actually produce different output?  I don't
remember seeing any of that and I am not running FreeBSD.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Autotools update

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Does the FreeBSD one actually produce different output?

If it did not, why would they bother making a separate package called
"gnu-autoconf" with the note "This port is specifically designed for
developers that want to create cross-platform software distributions on
FreeBSD."?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Autotools update

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Does the FreeBSD one actually produce different output?
>
> If it did not, why would they bother making a separate package called
> "gnu-autoconf" with the note "This port is specifically designed for
> developers that want to create cross-platform software distributions on
> FreeBSD."?

If it did produce different output, why haven't we noticed it prior to
this?  Has there actually *been* a problem that nobody has reported?

----

Re: Autotools update

From
Andrew Dunstan

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>>> Does the FreeBSD one actually produce different output?
>>

>> If it did not, why would they bother making a separate package called
>> "gnu-autoconf" with the note "This port is specifically designed for
>> developers that want to create cross-platform software distributions on
>> FreeBSD."?
>

> If it did produce different output, why haven't we noticed it prior to
> this?  Has there actually *been* a problem that nobody has reported?

Is autoconf actually run as part of any of our packaging scripts? My
impression was that developers ran it and the committed the results
(e.g. a configure script), unlike, say, bison where the scripts for
tarballs have to call it. But then, of course I hardly know :-)

cheers

andrew

Re: Autotools update

Date:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> If it did produce different output, why haven't we noticed it prior to
>> this?  Has there actually *been* a problem that nobody has reported?
>>
> Is autoconf actually run as part of any of our packaging scripts?

I don't think so ... but if Marc is the one to stamp a release number
into configure.in, his resulting configure might vary from other
people's versions, if the local autoconf on that machine is not
standard.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Autotools update

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> If it did not, why would they bother making a separate package called
>>> "gnu-autoconf" with the note "This port is specifically designed for
>>> developers that want to create cross-platform software distributions on
>>> FreeBSD."?
>>

>> If it did produce different output, why haven't we noticed it prior to
>> this?  Has there actually *been* a problem that nobody has reported?
>>

> Is autoconf actually run as part of any of our packaging scripts? My
> impression was that developers ran it and the committed the results (e.g. a
> configure script), unlike, say, bison where the scripts for tarballs have to
> call it. But then, of course I hardly know :-)

Every time I do a release, the last step is to update teh version numbver
in configure.in and run autoconf on it, and I do that using the version of
autoconf that is on the development server itself (ie. the FreeBSD one)

----

Re: Autotools update

From
Mark Kirkwood
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> Does the FreeBSD one actually produce different output?  I don't
> remember seeing any of that and I am not running FreeBSD.

On my 5.4 system autoconf259 and gnu-autoconf both fetch the *same* src
file (autoconf-2.59.tar.bz2 with md5sum 1ee40f7a676b3cfdc0e3f7cd81551b5f).

The autoconf259 package applys some FreeBSD specific patches - they seem
to be mainly about ensuring the package calls itself 'autoconf259'
instead of plain old 'autoconf', plus a permission change for auxiliary
directories.

(I have attached the 4 patches...)

Mark

Attachment

Re: Autotools update

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> If it did produce different output, why haven't we noticed it prior
> to this?  Has there actually *been* a problem that nobody has
> reported?

Note that we have never used Autoconf 2.59 before, so nobody could have
ever noticed and reported anything.  This FreeBSD vs. GNU split doesn't
appear to exist in the ports tree for earlier versions.  It might be
worth figuring out how these variants actually differ.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Autotools update

From
"Matthew D. Fuller"
Date:
On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 09:46:19PM +0200 I heard the voice of
Peter Eisentraut, and lo! it spake thus:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Does the FreeBSD one actually produce different output?
>
> If it did not, why would they bother making a separate package
> called "gnu-autoconf" with the note "This port is specifically
> designed for developers that want to create cross-platform software
> distributions on FreeBSD."?

Because the non-"gnu-" variants patch to stuff version numbers in all
the filenames and invocations down the chain, so you can have
different versions installed at once.  Different packages might be
written to different versions, and they tend to be
non-cross-compatible.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net
Systems/Network Administrator |  http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/          On the Internet, nobody can hear you