Re: Autotools update - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Autotools update
Date
Re: Autotools update  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>>> Does the FreeBSD one actually produce different output?
>>

>> If it did not, why would they bother making a separate package called
>> "gnu-autoconf" with the note "This port is specifically designed for
>> developers that want to create cross-platform software distributions on
>> FreeBSD."?
>

> If it did produce different output, why haven't we noticed it prior to
> this?  Has there actually *been* a problem that nobody has reported?

Is autoconf actually run as part of any of our packaging scripts? My
impression was that developers ran it and the committed the results
(e.g. a configure script), unlike, say, bison where the scripts for
tarballs have to call it. But then, of course I hardly know :-)

cheers

andrew