NIST Test Suite

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
Are we able to run more NIST tests now?

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div897/ctg/sql_form.htm

Chris

Re: NIST Test Suite

Date:
> Are we able to run more NIST tests now?
> http://www.itl.nist.gov/div897/ctg/sql_form.htm

I thought we'd extracted all the interesting juice from the NIST tests
a couple years ago.  Specifically I recall this fix came out of NIST
testing done by Red Hat:

Implement outer-levelaggregates to conform to the SQL spec, with extensions to supportour historical behavior.  An
aggregatebelongs to the closest querylevel of any of the variables in its argument, or the current querylevel if there
areno variables (e.g., COUNT(*)).  Theimplementation involves adding an agglevelsup field to Aggref, andtreating outer
aggregateslike outer variables at planning time.

        regards, tom lane

Re: NIST Test Suite

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> I thought we'd extracted all the interesting juice from the NIST tests
> a couple years ago.  Specifically I recall this fix came out of NIST
> testing done by Red Hat:

>     Implement outer-level
>     aggregates to conform to the SQL spec, with extensions to support
>     our historical behavior.  An aggregate belongs to the closest query
>     level of any of the variables in its argument, or the current query
>     level if there are no variables (e.g., COUNT(*)).  The
>     implementation involves adding an agglevelsup field to Aggref, and
>     treating outer aggregates like outer variables at planning time.

I was just chatting with Neil C on IRC and he mentioned that back when
they were using it at RedHat, PostgreSQL didn't have schemas so most
stuff failed.  Was just wondering if that's true and we need to re-run
them or something.

Chris

Re: NIST Test Suite

Date:
>> I thought we'd extracted all the interesting juice from the NIST tests
>> a couple years ago.

> I was just chatting with Neil C on IRC and he mentioned that back when
> they were using it at RedHat, PostgreSQL didn't have schemas so most
> stuff failed.

I think he's remembering an earlier iteration.  The mid-2003 patch I
cited is well past 7.3's release date, so it was surely inspired by
testing with a schema-aware PG.

My own recollection is that the other stuff we found in that test cycle
had to do with locale/collation features (eg per-column collation
options), and so there's no point in retesting until some progress is
made on that front ...
        regards, tom lane