8.0RC1 tomorrow

Date:
The core committee has agreed that it's about time to advance to Release
Candidate status (which we define as "code is frozen, but not docs nor
message translation work").  Barring surprises, 8.0RC1 will be wrapped
tomorrow (Friday).

We never really issued a "call for port reports" as has been past
practice.  I think that Andrew Dunstan's build farm has partially
obsoleted that custom, but if you have access to a platform that
is not represented in the build farm, please do give it a try soon.
        regards, tom lane

Re: 8.0RC1 tomorrow

From
Mike Mascari
Tom Lane wrote:
> The core committee has agreed that it's about time to advance to Release
> Candidate status (which we define as "code is frozen, but not docs nor
> message translation work").  Barring surprises, 8.0RC1 will be wrapped
> tomorrow (Friday).
>
> We never really issued a "call for port reports" as has been past
> practice.  I think that Andrew Dunstan's build farm has partially
> obsoleted that custom, but if you have access to a platform that
> is not represented in the build farm, please do give it a try soon.

Tom,

Will ANALYZE continue to ignore columns whose data is composed entirely
of NULL in 8.0?

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-11/msg00363.php

Mike Mascari

Re: 8.0RC1 tomorrow

From
Travis P
Date:
On Dec 2, 2004, at 11:08 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> We never really issued a "call for port reports" as has been past
> practice.  I think that Andrew Dunstan's build farm has partially
> obsoleted that custom, but if you have access to a platform that
> is not represented in the build farm, please do give it a try soon.

What platforms are covered by the build farm?
I couldn't find any info about it as I looked through the pages
at http://developer.postgresql.org/

-Travis

Re: 8.0RC1 tomorrow

Date:
Travis P <twp@castle.fastmail.fm> writes:
> What platforms are covered by the build farm?

See
http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl

Also I think there is a gborg project page for it.
        regards, tom lane

Re: 8.0RC1 tomorrow

From
Andrew Dunstan

Tom Lane wrote:

>Travis P <twp@castle.fastmail.fm> writes:
>

>>What platforms are covered by the build farm?
>>

>See
>http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl
>
>Also I think there is a gborg project page for it.

s/gborg/pgfoundry/

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgbuildfarm/

I started work today on a page that lists all the members.

cheers

andrew

Re: 8.0RC1 tomorrow

From
Travis P
Date:
On Dec 2, 2004, at 5:44 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgbuildfarm/
>
> I started work today on a page that lists all the members.

Ah, good.  I'm not seeing it immediately, but I'll keep my eye out.
I've an AIX 5.1 system on which I could try to compile if you don't
have one in the farm, though I usually build/deploy on Linux.

-Travis

Re: 8.0RC1 tomorrow

From
Andrew Dunstan

Travis P wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2004, at 5:44 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgbuildfarm/
>>
>> I started work today on a page that lists all the members.
>

> Ah, good.  I'm not seeing it immediately, but I'll keep my eye out.
> I've an AIX 5.1 system on which I could try to compile if you don't
> have one in the farm, though I usually build/deploy on Linux.

current approved members:
  name    |              os               |                      compiler                      |     arch     |
branches

----------+-------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------+--------------+----------------------
cat       | Linux 2.4.22                  | gcc 3.3.2                                          | i386         |
dog       | Linux 2.4.22                  | gcc 3.3.2                                          | i386         |
{HEAD,REL7_4_STABLE}
kangaroo  | Mac OS X 10.3.5               | gcc 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495) | PowerPC G4   |
echidna   | FreeBSD 6-CURRENT             | gcc 3.4.2 [FreeBSD] 20040728                       | x86          |
potorooo  | Solaris 2.8                   | gcc 3.3.2                                          | Ultra SPARC  |
{HEAD,REL7_4_STABLE}
capuchin  | AIX 4.2.2                     | gcc 2.8.1                                          | Power 2      |
spoonbill | OpenBSD 3.6-current           | gcc 3.3.2                                          | Sparc64      |
{HEAD,REL7_4_STABLE}
lionfish  | Linux Debian/Sarge            | gcc 3.3.4                                          | mipsel       |
{HEAD,REL7_4_STABLE}
kudu      | Solaris 9                     | Sun WorkShop 6 update 2 C 5.3 Patch 111680-09      | x86          |
{HEAD,REL7_4_STABLE}
emu       | OpenBSD 3.6-current           | gcc 2.95.3                                         | x86/SMP      |
{HEAD,REL7_4_STABLE}
badger    | Fedora Core 2                 | GCC 3.3.3                                          | x86 (Athlon) | {HEAD}
canary    | NetBSD 1.6                    | gcc 2.95.3                                         | x86          |
{HEAD,REL7_4_STABLE}
cockatoo  | FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE           | gcc 2.95.4                                         | x86          |
{HEAD,REL7_4_STABLE}
galah     | FreeBSD 5.3                   | gcc 3.4.2                                          | x86          |
{HEAD,REL7_4_STABLE}
loris     | Windows XP Pro                | gcc 3.2.3                                          | x86          | {HEAD}
gibbon    | Cygwin NT-5.1                 | gcc 3.3.3 (cygwin special)                         | x86          | {HEAD}
panda     | Linux Debian sid              | gcc 3.3.5                                          | amd64        |
{HEAD,REL7_4_STABLE}
viper     | Fedora Core 3                 | GCC 3.4.2                                          | x86_64       |
caribou   | Linux 2.6.9                   | gcc 3.3.5                                          | x86_64       |
shrew     | Mandrake Linux 10.0 2.6.5 SMP | gcc 3.3.2                                          | AMD 2600x2   |

Those with nothing in the branches column have not yet reported results
(one is my test machine).

If you have something missing from here I'm especially interested in
hearing from you. (HPUX and Solaris-x86 for example). Also anyone who
has Windows machines that can be used to replace the Cygwin and Windows
hosts.

cheers

andrew

Re: 8.0RC1 tomorrow

From
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane wrote:
> We never really issued a "call for port reports" as has been past
> practice.  I think that Andrew Dunstan's build farm has partially
> obsoleted that custom, but if you have access to a platform that
> is not represented in the build farm, please do give it a try soon.

The platform coverage of the build farm is currently quite limited, and
all those red lines don't make me feel better.  I think we still need
to check all the platforms explicitly.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: 8.0RC1 tomorrow

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> If you have something missing from here I'm especially interested in
> hearing from you.

I think "Linux" entries are quite useless.  We need to know what
distribution (and version) it is.  The kernel is actually a pretty
uninteresting part of the porting process.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: 8.0RC1 tomorrow

From
Andrew Dunstan

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>>If you have something missing from here I'm especially interested in
>>hearing from you.
>>

>I think "Linux" entries are quite useless.  We need to know what
>distribution (and version) it is.  The kernel is actually a pretty
>uninteresting part of the porting process.

I would very much welcome your input and that of other major developers on
a) how we classify farm members,
b) what steps should be run for a farm test, and
c) what information would be useful from a build run.

Unfortunately I got hit with some unexpected issues about a month ago
that have restricted my available time rather.

So far I have been concentrating on getting the clients working robustly
- Windows and Cygwin have been something of a challenge, as expected.
The server side is extremely simple - crude even. The database is as
just 2 tables like this:

pgbuildfarm=# \d buildsystems
    Table "public.buildsystems"
     Column      | Type | Modifiers
-----------------+------+-----------
name             | text | not null
secret           | text | not null
operating_system | text | not null
os_version       | text | not null
compiler         | text | not null
compiler_version | text | not null
architecture     | text | not null
status           | text | not null
sys_owner        | text | not null
owner_email      | text | not null

   "buildsystems_pkey" primary key, btree (name)

pgbuildfarm=# \d build_status
                  Table "public.build_status"
       Column         |            Type             | Modifiers
----------------------+-----------------------------+-----------
sysname               | text                        | not null
snapshot              | timestamp without time zone | not null
status                | integer                     |
stage                 | text                        |
log                   | text                        |
conf_sum              | text                        |
branch                | text                        |
changed_this_run      | text                        |
changed_since_success | text                        |

   "build_status_pkey" primary key, btree (sysname, snapshot)
   "bs_branch_snapshot_idx" btree (branch, snapshot)
   "bs_sysname_branch_idx" btree (sysname, branch)

Foreign-key constraints:
   "bs_fk" FOREIGN KEY (sysname) REFERENCES buildsystems(name) ON UPDATE CASCADE ON DELETE CASCADE

These were really more or less placeholders while I got things up and running.

Any constructive input is welcome. Anyone who would like to make the web
site look spiffy rather than pedestrian would be especially welcome
(it's done in perl + template toolkit).

cheers

andrew

Re: 8.0RC1 tomorrow

Date:
Mike Mascari <mascarm@mascari.com> writes:
> Will ANALYZE continue to ignore columns whose data is composed entirely
> of NULL in 8.0?

I had hoped to get to this before RC, but it looks like it won't happen.
Considering I've just been beating up on Bruce for committing stuff that
wasn't clearly a bug fix, I can't really do anything about it now ;-)
        regards, tom lane

Re: 8.0RC1 tomorrow

Tom Lane wrote:
> Mike Mascari <mascarm@mascari.com> writes:
> > Will ANALYZE continue to ignore columns whose data is composed entirely
> > of NULL in 8.0?
>
> I had hoped to get to this before RC, but it looks like it won't happen.
> Considering I've just been beating up on Bruce for committing stuff that
> wasn't clearly a bug fix, I can't really do anything about it now ;-)

TODO item?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: 8.0RC1 tomorrow

Date:
> TODO item?

Sure:

* ANALYZE should record a pg_statistic entry for an all-NULL column
        regards, tom lane

Re: 8.0RC1 tomorrow

From
Andrew Dunstan
I wrote:

> I started work today on a page that lists all the members.

Now viewable here:

http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_members.pl

In due course, the branch names will be links to the build history.

cheers

andrew

Re: So is there a 8.0RC1 tomorrow

From
lsunley@mb.sympatico.ca
Date:
Out of all of the messages on this thread, I am still not sure...

Is there an RC1 coming out RSN?

Lorne

lsunley@mb.sympatico.ca

Re: So is there a 8.0RC1 tomorrow

Date:
lsunley@mb.sympatico.ca wrote:
> Out of all of the messages on this thread, I am still not sure...
>
> Is there an RC1 coming out RSN?

Yes, it has been packaged and is now propogating to the mirrors.  It is
on the main ftp site now under /pub/beta/*rc1*.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: So is there a 8.0RC1 tomorrow

From
lsunley@mb.sympatico.ca
Date:
CONGRATULATIONS....

BTW - I have the OS/2 port running through to creating the template0 and
template1 databases with initdb. I have a glitch with the fork()
processing that seems to be in the OS/2 GCC 3.3.5 runtime, but I expect to
have that resolved shortly.

I am going to apply the patches from os/2 beta5 to RC 1 and see how it
works.

Lorne