Geometry regression test failure, CVS HEAD, Mac OS/X

From
David Fetter
Date:
Kind people,

Lately (past 3 days or so, but I don't know exactly how far back this
goes), I've been getting some regression test failures for geometry
with CVS HEAD on OS/X.  Here is regression.diffs.

*** ./expected/geometry.out     Fri Oct 31 19:07:07 2003
--- ./results/geometry.out      Wed Sep  8 12:22:46 2004
***************
*** 117,123 ****         | (5.1,34.5) | [(1,2),(3,4)]                 | (3,4)         | (-5,-12)   | [(1,2),(3,4)]
          | (1,2)         | (10,10)    | [(1,2),(3,4)]                 | (3,4)

!         | (0,0)      | [(0,0),(6,6)]                 | (-0,0)         | (-10,0)    | [(0,0),(6,6)]                 |
(0,0)        | (-3,4)     | [(0,0),(6,6)]                 | (0.5,0.5)         | (5.1,34.5) | [(0,0),(6,6)]
  | (6,6)

--- 117,123 ----         | (5.1,34.5) | [(1,2),(3,4)]                 | (3,4)         | (-5,-12)   | [(1,2),(3,4)]
          | (1,2)         | (10,10)    | [(1,2),(3,4)]                 | (3,4)

!         | (0,0)      | [(0,0),(6,6)]                 | (0,0)         | (-10,0)    | [(0,0),(6,6)]                 |
(0,0)        | (-3,4)     | [(0,0),(6,6)]                 | (0.5,0.5)         | (5.1,34.5) | [(0,0),(6,6)]
  | (6,6)

Any clues?

phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: Geometry regression test failure, CVS HEAD, Mac OS/X

From
Andrew Dunstan

David Fetter wrote:

>Kind people,
>
>Lately (past 3 days or so, but I don't know exactly how far back this
>goes), I've been getting some regression test failures for geometry
>with CVS HEAD on OS/X.

We have seen a number of reports recently of things broken some time in
the past. As I am currently thinking about what I want to do in the next
dev cycle, this might be an opportune time for me to raise again my
previous suggestion of a distributed build farm, so we get timely and
automated warnings of breakage. I started creating a script to do this,
but got sidetracked onto more important things (like Windows stuff, CSV,
dollar quoting), but I am prepared to restart the effort if enough
people are interested. Essentially, this would involve installation of a
perl script to be run from cron (or Windows equivalent - automating the
build for Windows might be challenging ...), which would check out code
from CVS, run "configure; make check" and then send  the results to a
central URL. Centrally, we would store the results and have a summary
page, with access to full logs if necessary in case of errors.

How we classify the results is also an open question. So far my thoughts
are to classify by <Architecture,OS+Version,Compiler+Version>.

Thoughts?

cheers

andrew

Date:
On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 04:20:11PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> David Fetter wrote:
>
> >Kind people,
> >
> >Lately (past 3 days or so, but I don't know exactly how far back
> >this goes), I've been getting some regression test failures for
> >geometry with CVS HEAD on OS/X.
>
> We have seen a number of reports recently of things broken some time
> in the past.

Sorry not to have provided better timing info. :/

> As I am currently thinking about what I want to do in the next dev
> cycle, this might be an opportune time for me to raise again my
> previous suggestion of a distributed build farm, so we get timely
> and automated warnings of breakage. I started creating a script to
> do this, but got sidetracked onto more important things (like
> Windows stuff, CSV, dollar quoting), but I am prepared to restart
> the effort if enough people are interested. Essentially, this would
> involve installation of a perl script to be run from cron (or
> Windows equivalent - automating the build for Windows might be
> challenging ...), which would check out code from CVS, run
> "configure; make check" and then send  the results to a central URL.
> Centrally, we would store the results and have a summary page, with
> access to full logs if necessary in case of errors.

> How we classify the results is also an open question. So far my
> thoughts are to classify by <Architecture,OS+Version,Compiler+Version>.
>
> Thoughts?

That'd be great!  I seem to recall that bison/(f)lex versions can
cause issues, too.  Could these just be tested for beforehand?
reported in any compile report?  Should names & versions of other
tools or libraries come along?  If so, how?

David Fetter wrote:

>>As I am currently thinking about what I want to do in the next dev
>>cycle, this might be an opportune time for me to raise again my
>>previous suggestion of a distributed build farm, so we get timely
>>and automated warnings of breakage. I started creating a script to
>>do this, but got sidetracked onto more important things (like
>>Windows stuff, CSV, dollar quoting), but I am prepared to restart
>>the effort if enough people are interested. Essentially, this would
>>involve installation of a perl script to be run from cron (or
>>Windows equivalent - automating the build for Windows might be
>>challenging ...), which would check out code from CVS, run
>>"configure; make check" and then send  the results to a central URL.
>>Centrally, we would store the results and have a summary page, with
>>access to full logs if necessary in case of errors.
>>

>>How we classify the results is also an open question. So far my
>>thoughts are to classify by <Architecture,OS+Version,Compiler+Version>.
>>
>>Thoughts?
>>

>That'd be great!  I seem to recall that bison/(f)lex versions can
>cause issues, too.  Could these just be tested for beforehand?
>reported in any compile report?  Should names & versions of other
>tools or libraries come along?  If so, how?

Should not be necessary, at least for bison/flex - configure already
checks that you have acceptable versions of these. If there is a failure
due to them it should show up clearly in the logs.

Perhaps version info for other 3rd party things, like perl, python, tcl,
kerberos, openssl would be useful. I'm wary of collecting too much info,
though. Most compile failures seem to be traceable to OS/Arch/Compiler
issues.

cheers

andrew

Re: Geometry regression test failure, CVS HEAD, Mac OS/X

Date:
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> Lately (past 3 days or so, but I don't know exactly how far back this
> goes), I've been getting some regression test failures for geometry
> with CVS HEAD on OS/X.  Here is regression.diffs.

OS X has been doing that since 10.3.something.  I've been thinking of
installing a variant geometry file but it's a bit annoying to do so
for just one platform, especially since I have no idea when Apple might
revert back to more standard behavior ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Geometry regression test failure, CVS HEAD, Mac OS/X

Date:
> We have seen a number of reports recently of things broken some time in
> the past. As I am currently thinking about what I want to do in the next
> dev cycle, this might be an opportune time for me to raise again my
> previous suggestion of a distributed build farm, so we get timely and
> automated warnings of breakage.

I think everyone thought that was a fine idea ...
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>

>>We have seen a number of reports recently of things broken some time in
>>the past. As I am currently thinking about what I want to do in the next
>>dev cycle, this might be an opportune time for me to raise again my
>>previous suggestion of a distributed build farm, so we get timely and
>>automated warnings of breakage.
>>

>I think everyone thought that was a fine idea ...

OK, will work on it.

cheers

andrew

Re: Geometry regression test failure, CVS HEAD, Mac OS/X

From
Gaetano Mendola
Date:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> David Fetter wrote:
>
>> Kind people,
>>
>> Lately (past 3 days or so, but I don't know exactly how far back this
>> goes), I've been getting some regression test failures for geometry
>> with CVS HEAD on OS/X.
>>

> We have seen a number of reports recently of things broken some time in
> the past. As I am currently thinking about what I want to do in the next
> dev cycle, this might be an opportune time for me to raise again my
> previous suggestion of a distributed build farm, so we get timely and
> automated warnings of breakage. I started creating a script to do this,
> but got sidetracked onto more important things (like Windows stuff, CSV,
> dollar quoting), but I am prepared to restart the effort if enough
> people are interested. Essentially, this would involve installation of a
> perl script to be run from cron (or Windows equivalent - automating the
> build for Windows might be challenging ...), which would check out code
> from CVS, run "configure; make check" and then send  the results to a
> central URL. Centrally, we would store the results and have a summary
> page, with access to full logs if necessary in case of errors.
>
> How we classify the results is also an open question. So far my thoughts
> are to classify by <Architecture,OS+Version,Compiler+Version>.
>
> Thoughts?

This can be a good model to follow:

http://boost.sourceforge.net/regression-logs/

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: Geometry regression test failure, CVS HEAD, Mac OS/X

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Sep 9, 2004, at 6:27 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
>> Lately (past 3 days or so, but I don't know exactly how far back this
>> goes), I've been getting some regression test failures for geometry
>> with CVS HEAD on OS/X.  Here is regression.diffs.
>
> OS X has been doing that since 10.3.something.  I've been thinking of
> installing a variant geometry file but it's a bit annoying to do so
> for just one platform, especially since I have no idea when Apple might
> revert back to more standard behavior ...

Is this documented somewhere? If it's not, could it be? I was one of
those who reported this same failure a while back (May 30 for 10.3.4,
Aug 10 for 10.3.5). I didn't get a response to either post and was
wondering if I had screwed up my system somehow :)

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com