Re: Geometry regression test failure, CVS HEAD, Mac OS/X - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Geometry regression test failure, CVS HEAD, Mac OS/X
Date
Re: Geometry regression test failure, CVS HEAD, Mac OS/X  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Geometry regression test failure, CVS HEAD, Mac OS/X  (Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

David Fetter wrote:

>Kind people,
>
>Lately (past 3 days or so, but I don't know exactly how far back this
>goes), I've been getting some regression test failures for geometry
>with CVS HEAD on OS/X.

We have seen a number of reports recently of things broken some time in
the past. As I am currently thinking about what I want to do in the next
dev cycle, this might be an opportune time for me to raise again my
previous suggestion of a distributed build farm, so we get timely and
automated warnings of breakage. I started creating a script to do this,
but got sidetracked onto more important things (like Windows stuff, CSV,
dollar quoting), but I am prepared to restart the effort if enough
people are interested. Essentially, this would involve installation of a
perl script to be run from cron (or Windows equivalent - automating the
build for Windows might be challenging ...), which would check out code
from CVS, run "configure; make check" and then send  the results to a
central URL. Centrally, we would store the results and have a summary
page, with access to full logs if necessary in case of errors.

How we classify the results is also an open question. So far my thoughts
are to classify by <Architecture,OS+Version,Compiler+Version>.

Thoughts?

cheers

andrew