Re: Geometry regression test failure, CVS HEAD, Mac OS/X - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Geometry regression test failure, CVS HEAD, Mac OS/X
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 04:20:11PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> David Fetter wrote:
>
> >Kind people,
> >
> >Lately (past 3 days or so, but I don't know exactly how far back
> >this goes), I've been getting some regression test failures for
> >geometry with CVS HEAD on OS/X.
>
> We have seen a number of reports recently of things broken some time
> in the past.

Sorry not to have provided better timing info. :/

> As I am currently thinking about what I want to do in the next dev
> cycle, this might be an opportune time for me to raise again my
> previous suggestion of a distributed build farm, so we get timely
> and automated warnings of breakage. I started creating a script to
> do this, but got sidetracked onto more important things (like
> Windows stuff, CSV, dollar quoting), but I am prepared to restart
> the effort if enough people are interested. Essentially, this would
> involve installation of a perl script to be run from cron (or
> Windows equivalent - automating the build for Windows might be
> challenging ...), which would check out code from CVS, run
> "configure; make check" and then send  the results to a central URL.
> Centrally, we would store the results and have a summary page, with
> access to full logs if necessary in case of errors.

> How we classify the results is also an open question. So far my
> thoughts are to classify by <Architecture,OS+Version,Compiler+Version>.
>
> Thoughts?

That'd be great!  I seem to recall that bison/(f)lex versions can
cause issues, too.  Could these just be tested for beforehand?
reported in any compile report?  Should names & versions of other
tools or libraries come along?  If so, how?

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!