Make clean fails

From
nolan@celery.tssi.com
Date:
Make clean fails on an up-to-date CVS (as of 2:40 PM CDT on Sunday).

Here's the final part of the output:

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/nolan/beta/pgsql/contrib/tablefunc'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/nolan/beta/pgsql/contrib/tips'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `clean'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/nolan/beta/pgsql/contrib/tips'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/nolan/beta/pgsql/contrib/tsearch'
rm -f libtsearch.a
rm -f libtsearch.so libtsearch.so.0 libtsearch.so.0.0
rm -f tsearch.sql
rm -f crc32.o morph.o txtidx.o query.o gistidx.o rewrite.o
rm -f parser.c
rm -rf results tmp_check log
rm -f regression.diffs regression.out regress.out run_check.out
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/nolan/beta/pgsql/contrib/tsearch'
make: *** tsearch2: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: Entering an unknown directorymake: Leaving an unknown directorymake[1]: **
* [clean] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/n
--
Mike Nolan

Re: Make clean fails

Date:
nolan@celery.tssi.com writes:
> Make clean fails on an up-to-date CVS (as of 2:40 PM CDT on Sunday).

> make: *** tsearch2: No such file or directory.  Stop.

I suspect you forgot "-d" in your cvs update commands.  You really need
both -d and -P to make cvs update behave reasonably ... I have no idea
why they are not the default behavior.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Make clean fails

From
nolan@celery.tssi.com
Date:
> nolan@celery.tssi.com writes:
> > Make clean fails on an up-to-date CVS (as of 2:40 PM CDT on Sunday).
>
> > make: *** tsearch2: No such file or directory.  Stop.
>
> I suspect you forgot "-d" in your cvs update commands.  You really need
> both -d and -P to make cvs update behave reasonably ... I have no idea
> why they are not the default behavior.

Yep, that solved both the make clean and the coredump problems.
Is that piece of information in the developers FAQ anywhere?
--
Mike Nolan

Re: Make clean fails

Date:
nolan@celery.tssi.com writes:
>> I suspect you forgot "-d" in your cvs update commands.  You really need
>> both -d and -P to make cvs update behave reasonably ... I have no idea
>> why they are not the default behavior.

> Yep, that solved both the make clean and the coredump problems.
> Is that piece of information in the developers FAQ anywhere?

It's in the "how to use CVS" instructions ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Make clean fails

From
nolan@celery.tssi.com
Date:
> > Yep, that solved both the make clean and the coredump problems.
> > Is that piece of information in the developers FAQ anywhere?
>
> It's in the "how to use CVS" instructions ...

So it is.  I probably read that before I got CVS working here, and it
isn't mentioned (or that section of the docs referenced) in the CVS section
in the Developer's FAQ.

I found both sections insufficient for me to get CVS working here, and
since I am thinking about using it for another project I picked up a
copy of 'ESSENTIAL CVS' to fill in some of the gaps in my knowledge.

Just part of the baptism of fire for a newbie, I guess. :-)
--
Mike Nolan

Re: Make clean fails

From
Philip Yarra
Date:
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 04:27 pm, nolan@celery.tssi.com wrote:
> Just part of the baptism of fire for a newbie, I guess. :-)

I've found the learning curve pretty steep too. Is it worth putting together
some of these 'gotchas' into a neophyte-developer-FAQ?

As a side note: anyone else noticed that developer.postgresql.org is
displaying an apache test page? I assume this might be an indicator of work
in progress.

Regards, Philip Yarra.

Re: Make clean fails

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 02:47, Philip Yarra wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 04:27 pm, nolan@celery.tssi.com wrote:
> > Just part of the baptism of fire for a newbie, I guess. :-)
>
> I've found the learning curve pretty steep too. Is it worth putting together
> some of these 'gotchas' into a neophyte-developer-FAQ?

There nothing stopping you from submitting improved wording for the FAQ
if you think it would be helpful.

Robert Treat

Re: Make clean fails

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
A more ambitious project, and one which seems to me worthwhile, would be
a descriptive tour of the source code and data structures. Something
larger than an FAQ and (one hopes) smaller than a book. The existence of
such things is useful in bootstrapping newbies (like me) in Linux kernel
stuff, and with it I would feel more confident about dipping my toes in
on Pg as well.

And, no, I can't write it because I am one who would need it in the
first place. I guess those who could write it have plenty on their plates.

Keeping it up to date would be a pain too.

But still, it would be nice.

andrew

Robert Treat wrote:

>On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 02:47, Philip Yarra wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 04:27 pm, nolan@celery.tssi.com wrote:
>>

>>>Just part of the baptism of fire for a newbie, I guess. :-)
>>>

>>I've found the learning curve pretty steep too. Is it worth putting together
>>some of these 'gotchas' into a neophyte-developer-FAQ?
>>

>There nothing stopping you from submitting improved wording for the FAQ
>if you think it would be helpful.
>
>Robert Treat

Re: Make clean fails

Date:
> A more ambitious project, and one which seems to me worthwhile, would be
> a descriptive tour of the source code and data structures.

Have you looked at Bruce's presentations?  There are a couple of sets of
slides available from http://developer.postgresql.org/.  They're
probably not up-to-date in detail, but the overview doesn't change very
quickly ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Make clean fails

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
Yes, I agree they are very useful, although not quite as detailed as
what I had in mind.

andrew