Mirro updates

From
ohp@pyrenet.fr
Date:
Hi every one,

Is it normal that mirro site now all redirect to www.postgresql.org?

It also seem that rsync is doing nothing when updating www...

Regards

--
Olivier PRENANT             Tel:    +33-5-61-50-97-00 (Work)
Quartier d'Harraud Turrou           +33-5-61-50-97-01 (Fax)
31190 AUTERIVE                      +33-6-07-63-80-64 (GSM)
FRANCE                      Email: ohp@pyrenet.fr
Make your life a dream, make your dream a reality. (St Exupery)

Re: Mirro updates

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
for the web, yes ... the new site doesn't support mirroring, as its highly
database driven ... only thing still mirrorable, really, is the ftp
server ...

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 ohp@pyrenet.fr wrote:

> Hi every one,
>
> Is it normal that mirro site now all redirect to www.postgresql.org?
>
> It also seem that rsync is doing nothing when updating www...
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Olivier PRENANT             Tel:    +33-5-61-50-97-00 (Work)
> Quartier d'Harraud Turrou           +33-5-61-50-97-01 (Fax)
> 31190 AUTERIVE                      +33-6-07-63-80-64 (GSM)
> FRANCE                      Email: ohp@pyrenet.fr
> Make your life a dream, make your dream a reality. (St Exupery)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Mirro updates

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> for the web, yes ... the new site doesn't support mirroring, as its highly
> database driven ... only thing still mirrorable, really, is the ftp
> server ...

I knew that was gonna happen.

Vince.
-- Fast, inexpensive internet service 56k and beyond!  http://www.pop4.net/  http://www.meanstreamradio.com
http://www.unknown-artists.com       Internet radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio.

Re: Mirro updates

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>

> > for the web, yes ... the new site doesn't support mirroring, as its highly
> > database driven ... only thing still mirrorable, really, is the ftp
> > server ...
>
> I knew that was gonna happen.

So did we ... :)

Re: Mirro updates

From
ohp@pyrenet.fr
Date:
Hi vince, Hi Marc

Although I understand why, I think it's a bit f a pity that there's no
mirror of web anymore. For that it means that 1) every thing is now on
your shoulders and that if anything goes wrong you've got no mirror to
rely on.

BUT the Good thing is it advocates for database replication as this could
make mirrors run again :)
On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:34:40 -0300 (ADT)
> From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@postgresql.org>
> To: Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
> Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@postgresql.org>, ohp@pyrenet.fr,
>      pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org>
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Mirro updates
>
> On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >

> > > for the web, yes ... the new site doesn't support mirroring, as its highly
> > > database driven ... only thing still mirrorable, really, is the ftp
> > > server ...
> >
> > I knew that was gonna happen.
>
> So did we ... :)

You have not warned us :)
--
Olivier PRENANT             Tel:    +33-5-61-50-97-00 (Work)
Quartier d'Harraud Turrou           +33-5-61-50-97-01 (Fax)
31190 AUTERIVE                      +33-6-07-63-80-64 (GSM)
FRANCE                      Email: ohp@pyrenet.fr
Make your life a dream, make your dream a reality. (St Exupery)

Re: Mirro updates

From
"Dave Page"

Yes, this is expected. Currently the website is not being mirrored due
to it's dependency on a backend database. We are considering different
ways of overcoming this problem in a useful way.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Mirro updates

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 ohp@pyrenet.fr wrote:

> Hi vince, Hi Marc
>
> Although I understand why, I think it's a bit f a pity that there's no
> mirror of web anymore. For that it means that 1) every thing is now on
> your shoulders and that if anything goes wrong you've got no mirror to
> rely on.
>
> BUT the Good thing is it advocates for database replication as this could
> make mirrors run again :)

God, I never enough thought about that ... a read-only replication would
be *very* easy to setup ...

Dave/Robert?  Thoughts?

Re: Mirro updates

From
ohp@pyrenet.fr
Then, I'm all ears and ready to help if I can

--
Olivier PRENANT             Tel:    +33-5-61-50-97-00 (Work)
Quartier d'Harraud Turrou           +33-5-61-50-97-01 (Fax)
31190 AUTERIVE                      +33-6-07-63-80-64 (GSM)
FRANCE                      Email: ohp@pyrenet.fr
Make your life a dream, make your dream a reality. (St Exupery)

Re: Mirro updates

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
(Sorry, been _way_ behind on the email reading.)

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 10:18:06PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> Yes, this is expected. Currently the website is not being mirrored due
> to it's dependency on a backend database. We are considering different
> ways of overcoming this problem in a useful way.

Would one of the ways be to use replication of the main databases?
There's more than one project around, some of which have been in
contrib/, and _any_ proof to the public that PostgreSQL can indeed be
replicated would be helpful, I'd say.

----
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M2P 2A8                                        +1 416 646 3304
x110

Re: Mirro updates

From
"Dave Page"

Been there, covered that :-)

In my opinion the difficulties of distributing schema updates and
changes from the constantly evolving site would put far too much of a
reliance on the mirror operators to handle updates we cannot replicate,
not to mention the fact they'd need to install PostgreSQL on their
server and give us access anyway - something I wouldn't be overly happy
about doing for one.

As it happens, much of the site is now mirrored anyway. All the static
parts are now mirrored, and happily link back to the main site where
they need to. I'm working on the docs at the moment (well, was yesterday
- been busy today) and once they're done, all that remains is the survey
and the news/events (which should be fairly straightforward as well).

Regards, Dave.

Re: Mirro updates

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Guys,

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 10:18:06PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > Yes, this is expected. Currently the website is not being mirrored due
> > to it's dependency on a backend database. We are considering different
> > ways of overcoming this problem in a useful way.

Bricolage?   i.e. generation of static HTML from a central site that "pushes
out" to the mirrors.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Mirro updates

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
It's rumoured that Josh Berkus once said:
> Guys,
>
>> On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 10:18:06PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>> > Yes, this is expected. Currently the website is not being mirrored
>> > due to it's dependency on a backend database. We are considering
>> > different ways of overcoming this problem in a useful way.
>
> Bricolage?   i.e. generation of static HTML from a central site that
> "pushes  out" to the mirrors.

Well I'm looking at Bricolage for other reasons, but basically that's what
we're doing on the main site, just with our own code.
Regards, Dave