Stuff that doesn't work yet in IPv6 patch

Date:
The IPv6 patch seems to still be a few bricks shy of a load.  Grepping
for places that handle AF_INET but not AF_INET6 revealed these
unimplemented features:

1. IDENT authorization.  Fails if either local or remote address is IPv6.

2. SSL.  Postmaster allows SSL for AF_INET but not AF_INET6.

3. Client address display in backend's ps display seems to be v4 only.

4. pgstat code can only bind to 127.0.0.1 (v4 loopback).  On a v6-only  machine this would not exist, would it?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Stuff that doesn't work yet in IPv6 patch

From
Kurt Roeckx
Date:
On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 04:47:45PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> The IPv6 patch seems to still be a few bricks shy of a load.  Grepping
> for places that handle AF_INET but not AF_INET6 revealed these
> unimplemented features:
>
> 1. IDENT authorization.  Fails if either local or remote address is IPv6.

I've actually written this already.

> 2. SSL.  Postmaster allows SSL for AF_INET but not AF_INET6.

Hmm, it really shouldn't matter if it uses AF_INET or AF_INET6
...  I should look into that.

> 3. Client address display in backend's ps display seems to be v4 only.

I'll take a look at that too.

> 4. pgstat code can only bind to 127.0.0.1 (v4 loopback).  On a v6-only
>    machine this would not exist, would it?

I'm not sure, but I think I changed something about that.  Can
you point me to that code?

Kurt

Re: Stuff that doesn't work yet in IPv6 patch

Date:
Kurt Roeckx <Q@ping.be> writes:
>> 2. SSL.  Postmaster allows SSL for AF_INET but not AF_INET6.

> Hmm, it really shouldn't matter if it uses AF_INET or AF_INET6
> ...  I should look into that.

Yeah, I suspect it just needs to replace the == AF_INET test with
an isAF_INETx() test.  But I don't have the facilities here to
verify it.

>> 4. pgstat code can only bind to 127.0.0.1 (v4 loopback).  On a v6-only
>> machine this would not exist, would it?

> I'm not sure, but I think I changed something about that.  Can
> you point me to that code?

src/backend/postmaster/pgstat.c

Date:
On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 06:37:17PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> 4. pgstat code can only bind to 127.0.0.1 (v4 loopback).  On a v6-only
> >> machine this would not exist, would it?
>
> > I'm not sure, but I think I changed something about that.  Can
> > you point me to that code?
>
> src/backend/postmaster/pgstat.c

That was the code I was thinking it was.  I changed the code
already.

I find it so weird, why isn't it just using socketpair() or
something?

Kurt

Re: Stuff that doesn't work yet in IPv6 patch

Date:
Kurt Roeckx <Q@ping.be> writes:
> I find it so weird, why isn't it just using socketpair() or
> something?

Portability issues, perhaps.  Does socketpair exist and behave the same
everywhere?

Checking the HPUX man page for it, I read "socketpair() is supported
only for AF_UNIX", which suggests that it's not possible to get datagram
semantics from it, at least on this platform.

Date:
On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 12:12:57PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Kurt Roeckx <Q@ping.be> writes:
> > I find it so weird, why isn't it just using socketpair() or
> > something?
>
> Checking the HPUX man page for it, I read "socketpair() is supported
> only for AF_UNIX", which suggests that it's not possible to get datagram
> semantics from it, at least on this platform.

SUS says that only AF_UNIX should be supported too:
    The socketpair() function is used primarily with UNIX domain    sockets and need not be supported for other
domains.

That does not prevent you to set the type to either SOCK_STREAM
or SOCK_DGRAM, or even SOCK_SEQPACKET however.

Kurt

Re: Stuff that doesn't work yet in IPv6 patch

Date:
Kurt Roeckx <Q@ping.be> writes:
> SUS says that only AF_UNIX should be supported too:
>      The socketpair() function is used primarily with UNIX domain
>      sockets and need not be supported for other domains.

Well, that just begs the question: does it even exist on platforms
that don't support AF_UNIX (eg, Windows, BeOS, ...)?  If so, what
address family to use there?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Stuff that doesn't work yet in IPv6 patch

Date:
Are these IPv6 deficiencies addressed?

Tom Lane wrote:
> The IPv6 patch seems to still be a few bricks shy of a load.  Grepping
> for places that handle AF_INET but not AF_INET6 revealed these
> unimplemented features:
>
> 1. IDENT authorization.  Fails if either local or remote address is IPv6.
>
> 2. SSL.  Postmaster allows SSL for AF_INET but not AF_INET6.
>
> 3. Client address display in backend's ps display seems to be v4 only.
>
> 4. pgstat code can only bind to 127.0.0.1 (v4 loopback).  On a v6-only
>    machine this would not exist, would it?
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Stuff that doesn't work yet in IPv6 patch

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>2. SSL.  Postmaster allows SSL for AF_INET but not AF_INET6.

This is fixed and works now.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Stuff that doesn't work yet in IPv6 patch

Date:
> Tom, do you know how many of these issue are still open?

Uh, none of them, I would hope.  That message was a long time ago.

Date:

Tom Lane wrote:
> The IPv6 patch seems to still be a few bricks shy of a load.  Grepping
> for places that handle AF_INET but not AF_INET6 revealed these
> unimplemented features:
>
> 1. IDENT authorization.  Fails if either local or remote address is IPv6.
>
> 2. SSL.  Postmaster allows SSL for AF_INET but not AF_INET6.
>
> 3. Client address display in backend's ps display seems to be v4 only.
>
> 4. pgstat code can only bind to 127.0.0.1 (v4 loopback).  On a v6-only
>    machine this would not exist, would it?
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19073