PostgreSQL Benchmarks

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
Hrm.  I just saw that the PHP ADODB guy just published a bunch of database
benchmarks.  It's fairly evident to me that benchmarking PostgreSQL on
Win32 isn't really fair:

http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance

*sigh*

Chris

Re: PostgreSQL Benchmarks

From
"Mario Weilguni"
Date:
>Hrm.  I just saw that the PHP ADODB guy just published a bunch of database
>benchmarks.  It's fairly evident to me that benchmarking PostgreSQL on
>Win32 isn't really fair:

>http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance

And why is the highly advocated transaction capable MySQL 4 not tested?
That's the problem, for every performance test they choose ISAM tables, and
when transactions are mentioned it's said "MySQL has transactions". But why
no benchmarks?

Regards,
    Mario Weilguni

Re: PostgreSQL Benchmarks

From
Greg Copeland
Date:
On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 08:26, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Hrm.  I just saw that the PHP ADODB guy just published a bunch of database
> benchmarks.  It's fairly evident to me that benchmarking PostgreSQL on
> Win32 isn't really fair:
>
> http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance
>
> *sigh*

How much of the performance difference is from the RDBMS, from the
middleware, and from the quality of implementation in the middleware.

While I'm not surprised that the the cygwin version of PostgreSQL is
slow, those results don't tell me anything about the quality of the
middleware interface between PHP and PostgreSQL.  Does anyone know if we
can rule out some of the performance loss by pinning it to bad
middleware implementation for PostgreSQL?

Greg Copeland <greg@copelandconsulting.net>
Copeland Computer Consulting

Re: PostgreSQL Benchmarks

From
Greg Copeland
Date:
On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 08:31, Mario Weilguni wrote:
> >Hrm.  I just saw that the PHP ADODB guy just published a bunch of database
> >benchmarks.  It's fairly evident to me that benchmarking PostgreSQL on
> >Win32 isn't really fair:
>
> >http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance
>
> And why is the highly advocated transaction capable MySQL 4 not tested?
> That's the problem, for every performance test they choose ISAM tables, and
> when transactions are mentioned it's said "MySQL has transactions". But why
> no benchmarks?

Insert Statement

Not using bind variables (MySQL and Oracle):
$DB->BeginTrans();

Using bind variables:
$DB->BeginTrans();

PL/SQL Insert Benchmark
Appears to not initiate a transaction.  I'm assuming this is because
it's implicitly within a transaction?  Oddly enough, I am seeing
explicit commits here.

It appears that the benchmarks are attempting to use transactions,
however, I have no idea if MySQL's HEAP supports them.  For all I know,
transactions are being silently ignored.

Greg Copeland <greg@copelandconsulting.net>
Copeland Computer Consulting

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL Benchmarks

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On Tuesday 11 Feb 2003 8:01 pm, Mario Weilguni wrote:
> >Hrm.  I just saw that the PHP ADODB guy just published a bunch of database
> >benchmarks.  It's fairly evident to me that benchmarking PostgreSQL on
> >Win32 isn't really fair:
> >
> >http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance
>
> And why is the highly advocated transaction capable MySQL 4 not tested?
> That's the problem, for every performance test they choose ISAM tables, and
> when transactions are mentioned it's said "MySQL has transactions". But why
> no benchmarks?

I did benchmark mysql/postgresql/oracle sometime back. Mysql with transaction
is 90% as fast as postgresql. But it dies down with increased number of users
no matter how much resources you throw at it.

Oracle is 130% of postgresql. This was postgresql 7.2.x series so things have
changed for sure, but you got the idea, right?

 Shridhar

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL Benchmarks

From
ow
Date:
There's "The Open Source Database Benchmark",
http://osdb.sourceforge.net/.

Anyone tried to use it?

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Re: PostgreSQL Benchmarks

From
Kevin Brown
Date:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Hrm.  I just saw that the PHP ADODB guy just published a bunch of database
> benchmarks.  It's fairly evident to me that benchmarking PostgreSQL on
> Win32 isn't really fair:
>
> http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance
>
> *sigh*

Not fair, perhaps.

But if you look, you'll see that *Cygwin* PostgreSQL beat most
everything on the Win32 platform except MySQL and Oracle with PL/SQL.
Read further and you'll see that Cygwin PostgreSQL came *really* close
(within 10% or something) to MS-SQL.

Considering that they weren't even running a native version of
PostgreSQL, I think the results were surprisingly *good*.

But yes, we really do want to be the fastest.  :-)

--
Kevin Brown                          kevin@sysexperts.com