Re: PostgreSQL Benchmarks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Brown
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Benchmarks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Hrm.  I just saw that the PHP ADODB guy just published a bunch of database
> benchmarks.  It's fairly evident to me that benchmarking PostgreSQL on
> Win32 isn't really fair:
>
> http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance
>
> *sigh*

Not fair, perhaps.

But if you look, you'll see that *Cygwin* PostgreSQL beat most
everything on the Win32 platform except MySQL and Oracle with PL/SQL.
Read further and you'll see that Cygwin PostgreSQL came *really* close
(within 10% or something) to MS-SQL.

Considering that they weren't even running a native version of
PostgreSQL, I think the results were surprisingly *good*.

But yes, we really do want to be the fastest.  :-)

--
Kevin Brown                          kevin@sysexperts.com