Re: Brain dump: btree collapsing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Kalchev
Subject Re: Brain dump: btree collapsing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>>>Bruce Momjian said:> > This brings up one item it would be nice to address at the same time. > It would be nice if
VACUUMFULL would be able to compress the actual> index file and return unused space to the operating system.  REINDEX>
doesthis, but I was thinking of something a little lighter that could> be done automatically as part of VACUUM FULL.
Ifwe can do that, it> would make consistent behavior for vacuum and heap/index files.

Since lazy VACUUM exists, I always wondered why VACUUM FULL doesn't run
REINDEX on a table where significant number of deleted tuples. VACUUM knows
those numbers - I always run REINDEX on larger tables that had huge number of
index entries deleted during VACUUM...

Daniel