PostgreSQL Password Cracker

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
Hi,

Some guys from Turkey claim that they have a code to crack PostgreSQL
passwords, defined in pg_hba.conf .

http://www.core.gen.tr/pgcrack/

Maybe some of you want to get the code...

Best regards,
--
Devrim GUNDUZ
www.gunduz.org

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

Date:
Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim@tr.net> writes:
> Some guys from Turkey claim that they have a code to crack PostgreSQL
> passwords, defined in pg_hba.conf .

> http://www.core.gen.tr/pgcrack/

This is not a cracker, this is just a brute-force "try all possible
passwords" search program (and a pretty simplistic one at that).
I'd say all this proves is the importance of choosing a good password.
Using only lowercase letters is a *bad* idea, especially if you're only
going to use five of 'em...
        regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
Hi,

On Sal, 2002-12-31 at 19:38, Tom Lane wrote:

> This is not a cracker, this is just a brute-force "try all possible
> passwords" search program (and a pretty simplistic one at that).

Ah, you're right.

> I'd say all this proves is the importance of choosing a good password.
> Using only lowercase letters is a *bad* idea, especially if you're only
> going to use five of 'em...

I had no time to search throug the code; but as far as I understood, it
*attacks* the database servers with TCP/IP on, right?

Best regards,
--
Devrim GUNDUZ
www.gunduz.org

Tom Lane wrote:
> Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim@tr.net> writes:
> > Some guys from Turkey claim that they have a code to crack PostgreSQL
> > passwords, defined in pg_hba.conf .
>
> > http://www.core.gen.tr/pgcrack/
>
> This is not a cracker, this is just a brute-force "try all possible
> passwords" search program (and a pretty simplistic one at that).
> I'd say all this proves is the importance of choosing a good password.
> Using only lowercase letters is a *bad* idea, especially if you're only
> going to use five of 'em...

Yea, that was my reaction too. Hard to see how we can guard against
this.

If they had used 8 lowercase characters, it would have been 36 days, if
8 upper and lower case, it would be 494 days, 8 upper/lowercase with
numbers, 38284 days.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

Date:
Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sal, 2002-12-31 at 19:38, Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > This is not a cracker, this is just a brute-force "try all possible
> > passwords" search program (and a pretty simplistic one at that).
>
> Ah, you're right.
>
> > I'd say all this proves is the importance of choosing a good password.
> > Using only lowercase letters is a *bad* idea, especially if you're only
> > going to use five of 'em...
>
> I had no time to search throug the code; but as far as I understood, it
> *attacks* the database servers with TCP/IP on, right?

It sniffs the packets going over the wire, so it can only be internet
sockets, not unix domain sockets (both use tcp/ip).

They basically sniff the text we send, and try passwords until the
result matches the successful reply the client sent.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

Date:
Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim@tr.net> writes:
> I had no time to search throug the code; but as far as I understood, it
> *attacks* the database servers with TCP/IP on, right?

No, the program itself simply takes an MD5 hash value and does a
brute-force search for a password that generates that MD5 string.

The comments at the top suggest sniffing a Postgres session startup
exchange in order to see the MD5 value that the user presents; which the
attacker would then give to this program.  (Forget it if the session is
Unix-local rather than TCP, or if it's SSL-encrypted...)

This is certainly a theoretically possible attack against someone who
has no clue about security, but I don't put any stock in it as a
practical attack.  For starters, if you are talking to your database
across a network that is open to hostile sniffers, you should definitely
be using SSL.
        regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

From
Oliver Elphick
Date:
On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 17:49, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim@tr.net> writes:
> > > Some guys from Turkey claim that they have a code to crack PostgreSQL
> > > passwords, defined in pg_hba.conf .
> >
> > > http://www.core.gen.tr/pgcrack/
> >
> > This is not a cracker, this is just a brute-force "try all possible
> > passwords" search program (and a pretty simplistic one at that).
> > I'd say all this proves is the importance of choosing a good password.
> > Using only lowercase letters is a *bad* idea, especially if you're only
> > going to use five of 'em...
>
> Yea, that was my reaction too. Hard to see how we can guard against
> this.

Keep a table of usernames used in connection attempts that failed
because of a bad password.  After 2 such failures, add 1 second sleep
for each successive failure before responding to the next attempt for
the same username.  Max it at say 60 seconds.  That should make brute
force cracking unfeasible unless someone gets very lucky or the password
is particularly weak.

Zero the entry for a username as soon as there is a good connection.

Is it worth doing?

========================================   "Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love      thy neighbour,
andhate thine enemy. But I say unto      you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do      good to them that
hateyou, and pray for them which      despitefully use you, and persecute you;"
    Matthew 5:43,44

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

Date:
Oliver Elphick wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 17:49, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:

> > > This is not a cracker, this is just a brute-force "try all possible
> > > passwords" search program (and a pretty simplistic one at that).
> > > I'd say all this proves is the importance of choosing a good password.
> > > Using only lowercase letters is a *bad* idea, especially if you're only
> > > going to use five of 'em...
> >
> > Yea, that was my reaction too. Hard to see how we can guard against
> > this.
>
> Keep a table of usernames used in connection attempts that failed
> because of a bad password.  After 2 such failures, add 1 second sleep
> for each successive failure before responding to the next attempt for
> the same username.  Max it at say 60 seconds.  That should make brute
> force cracking unfeasible unless someone gets very lucky or the password
> is particularly weak.

The problem is that our MD5 algorithm is open source, so they are doing
the checks in C looking for a match, not by sending the string to the
server.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

From
mlw
Date:
GUNDUZ<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:devrim@tr.net"><devrim@tr.net></a> writes: </pre><blockquote
type="cite"><prewrap="">I had no time to search throug the code; but as far as I understood, it

mlw wrote:
> >The comments at the top suggest sniffing a Postgres session startup
> >exchange in order to see the MD5 value that the user presents; which the
> >attacker would then give to this program.  (Forget it if the session is
> >Unix-local rather than TCP, or if it's SSL-encrypted...)
> >
> >This is certainly a theoretically possible attack against someone who
> >has no clue about security, but I don't put any stock in it as a
> >practical attack.  For starters, if you are talking to your database
> >across a network that is open to hostile sniffers, you should definitely
> >be using SSL.
> >

> This is absolutely correct, shouldn't this be in the FAQ?

Well, this is a pretty rare issue, so it doesn't seem like an FAQ.
People need to understand the ramifications of the various pg_hba.conf
settings, and I think our documentation does that.

Pennsylvania19073

Date:
thetop suggest sniffing a Postgres session startup

exchange in order to see the MD5 value that the user presents; which the
attacker would then give to this program.  (Forget it if the session is
Unix-local rather than TCP, or if it's SSL-encrypted...)

This is certainly a theoretically possible attack against someone who
has no clue about security, but I don't put any stock in it as a
practical attack.  For starters, if you are talking to your database
across a network that is open to hostile sniffers, you should definitely
be using SSL.
</pre></blockquote><prewrap="">

Well, this is a pretty rare issue, so it doesn't seem like an FAQ.
People need to understand the ramifications of the various pg_hba.conf
settings, and I think our documentation does that. </pre></blockquote> A good DBA will probably read the docs, a bad
DBAwill probably not, and it is the bad DBA that needs to be guided the most.<br /><br /> Maybe not FAQ, but is the a

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

Date:
What do others think?  I am not sure myself.

mlw wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:

> >>This is absolutely correct, shouldn't this be in the FAQ?
> >>

> >Well, this is a pretty rare issue, so it doesn't seem like an FAQ.
> >People need to understand the ramifications of the various pg_hba.conf
> >settings, and I think our documentation does that.
> >

> A good DBA will probably read the docs, a bad DBA will probably not, and
> it is the bad DBA that needs to be guided the most.
>
> Maybe not FAQ, but is the a short page of "dos and don'ts?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

Date:
> What do others think?  I am not sure myself.

There should definitely be someplace that recommends using SSL across
insecure networks (if there's not already).  But it doesn't seem to me
to qualify as a FAQ entry.  Somewhere in the admin guide seems more
appropriate.  Perhaps under Client Authentication?

Maybe someone could even put together enough material to create a whole
chapter on security considerations --- this is hardly the only item
worthy of mention.
        regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

Date:
Yes, I have been feeling we should do that.  Justin pointed out just
yesterday that .pgpass is only mentioned in libpq documentation, and in
fact there is lots of stuff mentioned in libpq that releates to the
other interfaces, so it should be pulled out and put in one place.

Does anyone want to tackle this?

Tom Lane wrote:
> > What do others think?  I am not sure myself.
>
> There should definitely be someplace that recommends using SSL across
> insecure networks (if there's not already).  But it doesn't seem to me
> to qualify as a FAQ entry.  Somewhere in the admin guide seems more
> appropriate.  Perhaps under Client Authentication?
>
> Maybe someone could even put together enough material to create a whole
> chapter on security considerations --- this is hardly the only item
> worthy of mention.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

From
Dan Langille
Date:
I'll do that.  Justin: What's the URL for the .pgpass stuff?  So far I see
mention of using SSL.  That's two items to cover.  Anything else?

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Yes, I have been feeling we should do that.  Justin pointed out just
> yesterday that .pgpass is only mentioned in libpq documentation, and in
> fact there is lots of stuff mentioned in libpq that releates to the
> other interfaces, so it should be pulled out and put in one place.
>
> Does anyone want to tackle this?

> Tom Lane wrote:
> > > What do others think?  I am not sure myself.
> >
> > There should definitely be someplace that recommends using SSL across
> > insecure networks (if there's not already).  But it doesn't seem to me
> > to qualify as a FAQ entry.  Somewhere in the admin guide seems more
> > appropriate.  Perhaps under Client Authentication?
> >
> > Maybe someone could even put together enough material to create a whole
> > chapter on security considerations --- this is hardly the only item
> > worthy of mention.
> >
> >             regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Dan Langille wrote:
> I'll do that.  Justin: What's the URL for the .pgpass stuff?  So far I see
> mention of using SSL.  That's two items to cover.  Anything else?

Hi Dan,

Very Cool.  The URL for the .pgpass stuff is:

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/libpq-files.html

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

From
Dennis Björklund
Date:
On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Justin Clift wrote:

> Very Cool.  The URL for the .pgpass stuff is:
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/libpq-files.html

There is a typo on that page. First it talkes about the file .pgpass and
then it says: "chmod 0600 .pgaccess".

I had no idea that one could store the passwords like this. This feature
is something I'm going to use from now on (now that I know about it).

--
/Dennis

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> Yes, I have been feeling we should do that.  Justin pointed out just
> yesterday that .pgpass is only mentioned in libpq documentation, and in
> fact there is lots of stuff mentioned in libpq that releates to the
> other interfaces, so it should be pulled out and put in one place.

It is difficult to make out which place that would be.  You can duplicate
the information in every place where an interface or tool that uses libpq
is documented, but that doesn't seem to be conceptually superior.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

Date:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>> Yes, I have been feeling we should do that.  Justin pointed out just
>> yesterday that .pgpass is only mentioned in libpq documentation, and in
>> fact there is lots of stuff mentioned in libpq that releates to the
>> other interfaces, so it should be pulled out and put in one place.

> It is difficult to make out which place that would be.  You can duplicate
> the information in every place where an interface or tool that uses libpq
> is documented, but that doesn't seem to be conceptually superior.

Duplicating this info is clearly a losing proposition.  But I think
Bruce is envisioning restructuring the documentation of libpq to
separate out the parts that are only interesting to a programmer using
libpq from the parts that are interesting to a user of a libpq-based
program (for example, all the info about environment variables, conninfo
string syntax, and .pgpass).  Then the docs for interfaces and tools
could cross-reference the "externally visible behavior" section of the
libpq docs --- and this section would make sense to an end user,
without drowning him in details he doesn't care about.
        regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

Date:
Dennis Bj�rklund wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Justin Clift wrote:
>
> > Very Cool.  The URL for the .pgpass stuff is:
> >
> > http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/libpq-files.html
>
> There is a typo on that page. First it talkes about the file .pgpass and
> then it says: "chmod 0600 .pgaccess".
>
> I had no idea that one could store the passwords like this. This feature
> is something I'm going to use from now on (now that I know about it).

I looked at CVS and the fix is in CVS head, but not in 7.3.X.

I applied it only to CVS head because I wasn't sure if were were
backpatching docs into CVS.  I was later told we were rebuilding 7.3.X
docs every night so we should backpatch docs.

Also, does anyone know why the development docs are 7.3.1?
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/index.html

Seems if it is on the developers page, it should be CVS head?  Wasn't
that supposed to build on demand?  I don't think that is working.
Perhaps it took too much CPU.

The docs on my machine are based on CVS head and do build on demand:
http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml

Both links are on the developers page.

Is someone working to get 7.3.1 announced on our main web site?

Pennsylvania19073

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >> Yes, I have been feeling we should do that.  Justin pointed out just
> >> yesterday that .pgpass is only mentioned in libpq documentation, and in
> >> fact there is lots of stuff mentioned in libpq that releates to the
> >> other interfaces, so it should be pulled out and put in one place.
>
> > It is difficult to make out which place that would be.  You can duplicate
> > the information in every place where an interface or tool that uses libpq
> > is documented, but that doesn't seem to be conceptually superior.
>
> Duplicating this info is clearly a losing proposition.  But I think
> Bruce is envisioning restructuring the documentation of libpq to
> separate out the parts that are only interesting to a programmer using
> libpq from the parts that are interesting to a user of a libpq-based
> program (for example, all the info about environment variables, conninfo
> string syntax, and .pgpass).  Then the docs for interfaces and tools
> could cross-reference the "externally visible behavior" section of the
> libpq docs --- and this section would make sense to an end user,
> without drowning him in details he doesn't care about.

Right. I think as a minimum, we need to move the libpq environment
variables and, as Justin said, the .pgpass stuff out into its own
section, and reference that from libpq and other
interfaces/applications.  We have had several reports of folks not
knowing it, and it is obvious is it because the info is inside a C
library API chapter.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

Date:
> Also, does anyone know why the development docs are 7.3.1?

Because it was pointed to that branch during the 7.3 beta cycle.
It needs to be repointed to CVS tip.  I dunno how to do so, however.

> Is someone working to get 7.3.1 announced on our main web site?

I would like to think that someone in either the -advocacy or webmaster
groups will get around to that sometime soon ;-)
        regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 19:33, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Also, does anyone know why the development docs are 7.3.1?
>
> Because it was pointed to that branch during the 7.3 beta cycle.
> It needs to be repointed to CVS tip.  I dunno how to do so, however.
>
> > Is someone working to get 7.3.1 announced on our main web site?
>
> I would like to think that someone in either the -advocacy or webmaster
> groups will get around to that sometime soon ;-)

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but honestly I don't think anyone
is working on it (I mean how long could it take to do it and how long
has 7.3.1 been released?). I'd be happy to do it if someone would
explain to me how to do it. I have a lot of access to a bunch of stuff
but I don't think I have access to the cvs that the main site is stored
in. Anonymous access and an email of who to send patches to would be
enough if people are worried about me trashing things :-)

Robert Treat

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

From
"Dave Page"

www.postgresql.com - with a little luck should become www.postgresql.org
rsn.

Regards, Dave.

Tom Lane writes:

> separate out the parts that are only interesting to a programmer using
> libpq from the parts that are interesting to a user of a libpq-based
> program (for example, all the info about environment variables, conninfo
> string syntax, and .pgpass).

The sections on environment variables and the .pgpass file are at the
"sect1" level, which is about as prominent as I think we can make them.
Certainly they are not a subject matter that warrants a whole chapter of
their own.  What's missing are some cross-references.

--

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > separate out the parts that are only interesting to a programmer using
> > libpq from the parts that are interesting to a user of a libpq-based
> > program (for example, all the info about environment variables, conninfo
> > string syntax, and .pgpass).
>
> The sections on environment variables and the .pgpass file are at the
> "sect1" level, which is about as prominent as I think we can make them.
> Certainly they are not a subject matter that warrants a whole chapter of
> their own.  What's missing are some cross-references.

But it is a "sect1" in libpq.  It should be a "sect1" somewhere that
makes more sense.

Right now it appears here:Table of Contents1. libpq - C Library    1.1. Introduction    1.2. Database Connection
Functions   1.3. Command Execution Functions    1.4. Asynchronous Query Processing    1.5. The Fast-Path Interface
1.6.Asynchronous Notification    1.7. Functions Associated with the COPY Command    1.8. libpq Tracing Functions
1.9.libpq Control Functions    1.10. Environment Variables          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^    1.11. Files    1.12.
ThreadingBehavior    1.13. Building Libpq Programs    1.14. Example Programs

It doesn't belong in libpq, and it doesn't belong in the Programmer's
Guide.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

Date:
> But it is a "sect1" in libpq.  It should be a "sect1" somewhere that
> makes more sense.
> It doesn't belong in libpq, and it doesn't belong in the Programmer's
> Guide.

How could it not belong in libpq?  But you are right that the
Programmer's Guide seems the wrong place for information that is
important to end-users.

Perhaps libpq needs to have a chapter in the User's Guide as well as a
chapter in the Programmer's Guide?  Or maybe we could put the relevant
information into a reference page under PostgreSQL Client Applications
(titled something along the line of "common behavior of all libpq-based
client applications").
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > But it is a "sect1" in libpq.  It should be a "sect1" somewhere that
> > makes more sense.
> > It doesn't belong in libpq, and it doesn't belong in the Programmer's
> > Guide.
>
> How could it not belong in libpq?  But you are right that the
> Programmer's Guide seems the wrong place for information that
> is important to end-users.

Some people don't even know libpq exists.  If someone uses only
psql, how would they know?

> Perhaps libpq needs to have a chapter in the User's Guide as
> well as a chapter in the Programmer's Guide?

> Or maybe we could put the relevant information into a reference
> page under PostgreSQL Client Applications (titled something
> along the line of "common behavior of all libpq-based client
> applications").

Yep, that's what I would do.

-- Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610)
Pennsylvania19073