Postgres 7.3 announcement on postgresql.org

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
There isn't one!

Chris

Re: Postgres 7.3 announcement on postgresql.org

From
Scott Lamb
Date:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> There isn't one!
>
> Chris

No kidding. I propose changes to the following pages:

<http://www14.us.postgresql.org/>: Prominent mention of the latest
stable and unstable releases (just stable now, of course). But since
this seems to be kind of a repeat of the news page, maybe an
announcement also.

<http://www14.us.postgresql.org/news.html>: Announcement of each of the
betas, release candidates, and the final release now.

<http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php>: Mention that 7.3 has been
released, where it says it has entered release candidate phase 2 now.

<http://developer.postgresql.org/beta.php>: page marked as obselete
until the 7.4 cycle begins. (Instead of just broken, as it is now.)

<http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/>: Announcement that it will be
switching over to the 7.3 docs soon and later switching, like was done
with 7.1->7.2 IIRC.

Is the website in CVS somewhere? I might put together a patch if so...

I mentioned this around RC1 time and got no response. Really, I think
that people would have tested it more if they knew about it. And the web
page is the first place I go to find out about a piece of software. The
mailing lists are not enough IMNSHO.

Thanks for a great piece of software...but please tell people about it!

Scott

Re: Postgres 7.3 announcement on postgresql.org

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Christopher Kings-Lynne writes:

> There isn't one!

Has there been a release?  It certainly hasn't been announced in the usual
places that I monitor.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Postgres 7.3 announcement on postgresql.org

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
> Has there been a release?  It certainly hasn't been announced in the usual
> places that I monitor.

It has been announced on the announce mailing list and in the eweek
article...  It's downloadable from the advocacy site...

Date:
Christopher Kings-Lynne writes:

> It has been announced on the announce mailing list and in the eweek
> article...  It's downloadable from the advocacy site...

Yeah, that'll let the world know.

--

Date:
> Has there been a release?  It certainly hasn't been announced in the usual
> places that I monitor.

Marc claimed he'd put out the announcement on pgsql-announce, but that
copy of the message never arrived here (it did show up on pgsql-general
though).  Evidently you and Vince never got it either ...
        regards, tom lane

Date:
> > Has there been a release?  It certainly hasn't been announced in the
usual
> > places that I monitor.
>
> Marc claimed he'd put out the announcement on pgsql-announce, but that
> copy of the message never arrived here (it did show up on pgsql-general
> though).  Evidently you and Vince never got it either ...

You're right - I only got it thru -general.

Chris

Re: Postgres 7.3 announcement on postgresql.org

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Has there been a release?  It certainly hasn't been announced in the usual
> > places that I monitor.
>
> Marc claimed he'd put out the announcement on pgsql-announce, but that
> copy of the message never arrived here (it did show up on pgsql-general
> though).  Evidently you and Vince never got it either ...

After alot of searching I did find it.  It wasn't exactly what one would
expect a PostgreSQL release announcement to look like.

Vince.
--   http://www.meanstreamradio.com       http://www.unknown-artists.com        Internet radio: It's not file sharing,
it'sjust radio.

Date:
> > Marc claimed he'd put out the announcement on pgsql-announce, but that
> > copy of the message never arrived here (it did show up on pgsql-general
> > though).  Evidently you and Vince never got it either ...
>
> After alot of searching I did find it.  It wasn't exactly what one would
> expect a PostgreSQL release announcement to look like.

Huh?  I thought it was the best one yet!  The quotes, the example cases and
large users, links to advocacy and HISTORY.  It was excellent.  A better
emphasis on marketing as well as technical improvements.

Date:
On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > > Marc claimed he'd put out the announcement on pgsql-announce, but that
> > > copy of the message never arrived here (it did show up on pgsql-general
> > > though).  Evidently you and Vince never got it either ...
> >
> > After alot of searching I did find it.  It wasn't exactly what one would
> > expect a PostgreSQL release announcement to look like.
>
> Huh?  I thought it was the best one yet!  The quotes, the example cases and
> large users, links to advocacy and HISTORY.  It was excellent.  A better
> emphasis on marketing as well as technical improvements.

Glad you liked it.  But that doesn't change the fact that it obscured the
release to the point that many people didn't even know it was released.
I found out by folks complaining about broken links.

Date:
> Glad you liked it.  But that doesn't change the fact that it obscured the
> release to the point that many people didn't even know it was released.
> I found out by folks complaining about broken links.

Hrm - the subject said it all, plus what about the first 2 paragraphs?

" PostgreSQL Global Development Group Announces Version 7.3"
    "The PostgreSQL Global Development Group proudly announces the
release of version 7.3 of the PostgreSQL object-relational database
management system (ORDBMS). PostgreSQL, the world's most advanced
open source database, provides solutions for many of the most demanding
applications in use today, saving businesses and governments millions
of dollars each year."

Maybe the user comments can be moved until after the 7.3 feature list?

Date:
On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > Glad you liked it.  But that doesn't change the fact that it obscured the
> > release to the point that many people didn't even know it was released.
> > I found out by folks complaining about broken links.
>
> Hrm - the subject said it all, plus what about the first 2 paragraphs?
>
> " PostgreSQL Global Development Group Announces Version 7.3"
>
>      "The PostgreSQL Global Development Group proudly announces the
> release of version 7.3 of the PostgreSQL object-relational database
> management system (ORDBMS). PostgreSQL, the world's most advanced
> open source database, provides solutions for many of the most demanding
> applications in use today, saving businesses and governments millions
> of dollars each year."
>
> Maybe the user comments can be moved until after the 7.3 feature list?

First things first.  In pine, the "announcement" looked like this in the
   17096 Nov 28 PostgreSQL Public   (6733) [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Developm

I see nothing about 7.3 there.  When skimming the mailbox, that's what I
see.  I didn't see the actual message until AFTER went looking for it.

When I did find it, this is what I saw when I opened it:

For Immediate Release                               November 28th, 2002

Contacts:
Justin Clift
justin@postgresql.org
+61.3 9363 1313 (Australia)

Marc Fournier
scrappy@postgresql.org
+1.902 542 0713 (Canada)

Yep, it's gotta be the best one yet.

Vince.
--   http://www.meanstreamradio.com       http://www.unknown-artists.com        Internet radio: It's not file sharing,
it'sjust radio.

Re: Postgres 7.3 announcement on postgresql.org

From
Ryan Mahoney
Date:
> When I did find it, this is what I saw when I opened it:
>

> For Immediate Release                               November 28th, 2002
>
> Contacts:
> Justin Clift
> justin@postgresql.org
> +61.3 9363 1313 (Australia)
>
> Marc Fournier
> scrappy@postgresql.org
> +1.902 542 0713 (Canada)

Scroll down and read the rest of, it's an excellent announcement!  If
the website and mirrors made mention of the release (as of 8:19PM CST
they don't!) and the message was sent to all the mailing lists, there
would probably be less confusion.  When I read the announcement I was
very impressed and went straight to www.postgresql.org.  Once I got
there, I wondered if maybe the announcement had been sent by accident!

-r

--
Ryan Mahoney
ryan@flowlabs.com

"Tomorrow's Company. Today's Budget."            http://www.flowlabs.com

Re: Postgres 7.3 announcement on postgresql.org

Date:
FYI, Vince, I started reading all my email (using elm) in a special 120
column wide, 38 row xterm.  There was just too much detail in those
subjects i was missing.

Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
> > > Glad you liked it.  But that doesn't change the fact that it obscured the
> > > release to the point that many people didn't even know it was released.
> > > I found out by folks complaining about broken links.
> >
> > Hrm - the subject said it all, plus what about the first 2 paragraphs?
> >
> > " PostgreSQL Global Development Group Announces Version 7.3"
> >
> >      "The PostgreSQL Global Development Group proudly announces the
> > release of version 7.3 of the PostgreSQL object-relational database
> > management system (ORDBMS). PostgreSQL, the world's most advanced
> > open source database, provides solutions for many of the most demanding
> > applications in use today, saving businesses and governments millions
> > of dollars each year."
> >
> > Maybe the user comments can be moved until after the 7.3 feature list?
>
> First things first.  In pine, the "announcement" looked like this in the
>
>     17096 Nov 28 PostgreSQL Public   (6733) [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Developm
>
> I see nothing about 7.3 there.  When skimming the mailbox, that's what I
> see.  I didn't see the actual message until AFTER went looking for it.
>
> When I did find it, this is what I saw when I opened it:
>

> For Immediate Release                               November 28th, 2002
>
> Contacts:
> Justin Clift
> justin@postgresql.org
> +61.3 9363 1313 (Australia)
>
> Marc Fournier
> scrappy@postgresql.org
> +1.902 542 0713 (Canada)

> Yep, it's gotta be the best one yet.
>
> Vince.
> --
>    http://www.meanstreamradio.com       http://www.unknown-artists.com
>          Internet radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Pennsylvania19073

Date:
On 29 Nov 2002, Ryan Mahoney wrote:

> Scroll down and read the rest of, it's an excellent announcement!  If
> the website and mirrors made mention of the release (as of 8:19PM CST
> they don't!) and the message was sent to all the mailing lists, there
> would probably be less confusion.  When I read the announcement I was
> very impressed and went straight to www.postgresql.org.  Once I got
> there, I wondered if maybe the announcement had been sent by accident!

When I'm looking for content in a message if I don't find it in the
first few lines or even on the first page, I move on.  But like I said,
had you really bothered to read it, it did not resemble a traditional
release announcement.

I don't intend to debate this any further.  I've just about filtered
the junk out of the announcement and should have it on the website in
a few mins.

Date:
On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> FYI, Vince, I started reading all my email (using elm) in a special 120
> column wide, 38 row xterm.  There was just too much detail in those
> subjects i was missing.

Doesn't do me much good if too often I don't have the luxury of a large
screen 'cuze I'm reading from a remote site with horrible resolution or
just an 80x25 screen.

Date:
Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> > FYI, Vince, I started reading all my email (using elm) in a special 120
> > column wide, 38 row xterm.  There was just too much detail in those
> > subjects i was missing.
>
> Doesn't do me much good if too often I don't have the luxury of a large
> screen 'cuze I'm reading from a remote site with horrible resolution or
> just an 80x25 screen.

Would a better subject line, fitting in the smaller default width, have
been something like:

PostgreSQL 7.3 Released! by the PostgreSQL Global Development Group

So hopefully it would look something like:

17096 Nov 28 PostgreSQL Public   (6733) [GENERAL] PostgreSQL 7.3
Released! b

Am thinking that regardless of the wording of the release, it doesn't
hurt us to do simple things like re-arranging the Subject line to make
things a bit more obvious.

?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi

Date:
On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Justin Clift wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >

> > > FYI, Vince, I started reading all my email (using elm) in a special 120
> > > column wide, 38 row xterm.  There was just too much detail in those
> > > subjects i was missing.
> >
> > Doesn't do me much good if too often I don't have the luxury of a large
> > screen 'cuze I'm reading from a remote site with horrible resolution or
> > just an 80x25 screen.
>
> Would a better subject line, fitting in the smaller default width, have
> been something like:
>
> PostgreSQL 7.3 Released! by the PostgreSQL Global Development Group
>
> So hopefully it would look something like:
>
> 17096 Nov 28 PostgreSQL Public   (6733) [GENERAL] PostgreSQL 7.3
> Released! b
>
> Am thinking that regardless of the wording of the release, it doesn't
> hurt us to do simple things like re-arranging the Subject line to make
> things a bit more obvious.

Yes it would.  But while on the subject, why did you only mention it's
availability being on the advocacy site?  Are the ftp and website mirrors
now irrelevant to you?

Vince.
--   http://www.meanstreamradio.com       http://www.unknown-artists.com        Internet radio: It's not file sharing,
it'sjust radio.

Re: Postgres 7.3 announcement on postgresql.org

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Vince Vielhaber wrote:
<snip>
> Yes it would.  But while on the subject, why did you only mention it's
> availability being on the advocacy site?

*We* mentioned it's availability being on the Advocacy site, because it
gives people a single place to go that has both PostgreSQL itself *and*
a site that's dedicated to giving a clear list of features, advantages,
case studies, etc.  This Press Release was created to give a clear path
to PostgreSQL usage for new users (i.e. initial interest -> place to
find out about it -> advantages, cast studies, etc)

> Are the ftp and website mirrors now irrelevant to you?

Not sure what you mean here.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Vince.
> --
>    http://www.meanstreamradio.com       http://www.unknown-artists.com
>          Internet radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio.

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi

Re: Postgres 7.3 announcement on postgresql.org

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 23:32, Justin Clift wrote:
> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> <snip>
> > Yes it would.  But while on the subject, why did you only mention it's
> > availability being on the advocacy site?
>
> *We* mentioned it's availability being on the Advocacy site, because it
> gives people a single place to go that has both PostgreSQL itself *and*
> a site that's dedicated to giving a clear list of features, advantages,
> case studies, etc.

But why duplicate the "download PostgreSQL" page on advocacy? ISTM a
link to the appropriate page on the main website would be fine -- and if
the "download PostgreSQL" stuff on the main website isn't perfect, then
we should improve it (and fix the underlying problem), rather than
duplicating content on advocacy.postgresql.org

> > Are the ftp and website mirrors now irrelevant to you?
>
> Not sure what you mean here.

He probably means that on http://advocacy.postgresql.org/download/, you
only have direct links to [www|ftp].postgresql.org, not any of the
mirror sites.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: Postgres 7.3 announcement on postgresql.org

Date:
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 23:32, Justin Clift wrote:
> > Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Yes it would.  But while on the subject, why did you only mention it's
> > > availability being on the advocacy site?
> >
> > *We* mentioned it's availability being on the Advocacy site, because it
> > gives people a single place to go that has both PostgreSQL itself *and*
> > a site that's dedicated to giving a clear list of features, advantages,
> > case studies, etc.
>
> But why duplicate the "download PostgreSQL" page on advocacy? ISTM a
> link to the appropriate page on the main website would be fine -- and if
> the "download PostgreSQL" stuff on the main website isn't perfect, then
> we should improve it (and fix the underlying problem), rather than
> duplicating content on advocacy.postgresql.org

Why does our master web site still have 7.2.3 listed as the most recent
release?
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/sitess.html

In fact, the link mentioned on the main web page points to the mirror
page, not to any place to download it.  If I choose FTP mirrors, that
works.

Pennsylvania19073

Date:
On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Neil Conway wrote:
> > On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 23:32, Justin Clift wrote:
> > > Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > *We* mentioned it's availability being on the Advocacy site, because it
> > > gives people a single place to go that has both PostgreSQL itself *and*
> > > a site that's dedicated to giving a clear list of features, advantages,
> > > case studies, etc.
> >
> > But why duplicate the "download PostgreSQL" page on advocacy? ISTM a
> > link to the appropriate page on the main website would be fine -- and if
> > the "download PostgreSQL" stuff on the main website isn't perfect, then
> > we should improve it (and fix the underlying problem), rather than
> > duplicating content on advocacy.postgresql.org
>
> Why does our master web site still have 7.2.3 listed as the most recent
> release?
>
>     http://www.ca.postgresql.org/sitess.html
>
> In fact, the link mentioned on the main web page points to the mirror
> page, not to any place to download it.  If I choose FTP mirrors, that
> works.

Rather than bitch about it, why don't you just ask?

Vince.
--   http://www.meanstreamradio.com       http://www.unknown-artists.com        Internet radio: It's not file sharing,
it'sjust radio.

Re: Postgres 7.3 announcement on postgresql.org

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Has there been a release?  It certainly hasn't been announced in the usual
> > places that I monitor.
>
> Marc claimed he'd put out the announcement on pgsql-announce, but that
> copy of the message never arrived here (it did show up on pgsql-general
> though).  Evidently you and Vince never got it either ...

I'll resend it (albeit late), but I know I did go in and approve the
posting to -annouce within seconds of sending it :(

Date:
On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> > FYI, Vince, I started reading all my email (using elm) in a special 120
> > column wide, 38 row xterm.  There was just too much detail in those
> > subjects i was missing.
>
> Doesn't do me much good if too often I don't have the luxury of a large
> screen 'cuze I'm reading from a remote site with horrible resolution or
> just an 80x25 screen.

Sorry, but definitely sounds like a personal problem here :(  The press
release was extensively discussed on the -advocacy mailing list, and
*repeatedly* Josh and Robert asked for feedback on it ... you are right, I
could have shorten'd the subject a wee bit, error on my part that I will
try not to repeat in the future ...

Date:
On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >

> > > FYI, Vince, I started reading all my email (using elm) in a special 120
> > > column wide, 38 row xterm.  There was just too much detail in those
> > > subjects i was missing.
> >
> > Doesn't do me much good if too often I don't have the luxury of a large
> > screen 'cuze I'm reading from a remote site with horrible resolution or
> > just an 80x25 screen.
>
> Sorry, but definitely sounds like a personal problem here :(  The press
> release was extensively discussed on the -advocacy mailing list, and
> *repeatedly* Josh and Robert asked for feedback on it ... you are right, I
> could have shorten'd the subject a wee bit, error on my part that I will
> try not to repeat in the future ...

I'm not on the advocacy list, nor do I want to be.

Alot of people watch hackers for things like release notices.  Why send
a sales oriented document that was written for people who know nothing
about postgresql to hackers anyway?  Save the fluff for the other lists
and send a normal announcement here.

BTW, I got the copy of the announcement that went to the ANNOUNCE list.
I'm guessing most folks blew it off as junkmail due to it's format.