Trimming the Fat: Getting code via CVSup ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
I've just updated the README.cvsup file in order to reflect the changes,
to provide a sample of how to download the whole thing, as well as
instructions on how to do "just" a particular module:

========================[ Updated README.cvsup ]=========================
# This file represents the standard CVSup distribution file
# for the PostgreSQL ORDBMS project
#
# Defaults that apply to all the collections
*default host=mcvsup.postgresql.org
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default tag=.

# The following config will take the existing CVS repository
# modules and combine them into a directory structure containing
# all modules placed correctly in the tree.
#
# It is recommended that you only change the base= directory,
# which is where the top of the tree, and any administrative
# files that CVSup uses, will be downloaded into.  The
# subsequent prefix= tags are relative to base
#
# Any one of the below can be commented out to download *just*
# that particular module ... the default here is to download
# and place everything.  If, for instance, you are only interested
# in libpqxx, it is recommended that you comment out everything
# below this line except for the base= directive, and the module
# itself, so that it installs the code into $base/libpqxx
#

*default base=/home/scrappy/cvsup.src

pgsql

*default prefix=pgsql/src/interfaces
libpqxx

*default prefix=pgsql/contrib
earthdistance

Re: Trimming the Fat: Getting code via CVSup ...

From
nconway@klamath.dyndns.org (Neil Conway)
Date:
On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 12:56:11AM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> I've just updated the README.cvsup file in order to reflect the changes,
> to provide a sample of how to download the whole thing, as well as
> instructions on how to do "just" a particular module:

I'm using the following cvsup file, and the 'pgsql' module is empty
(i.e. contains zero files):

*default host=mcvsup.postgresql.org
*default compress
*default delete
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default base=/mnt/vol2/cvsup/pgsql

*default prefix=/var/lib/cvs
pgsql
*default prefix=/var/lib/cvs/pgsql/src/interfaces
libpqxx
*default prefix=/var/lib/cvs/pgsql/contrib
earthdistance

Replacing 'pgsql' with 'pgsql-server' yields a 'no such module' warning
message and the module is skipped.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

Re: Trimming the Fat: Getting code via CVSup ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Try now ... the download isn't going to work right though, as CVSup
doesn't honor the modules file in CVSROOT which defines how 'pgsql' is
*supposed* to work ... I'm going to work on this later tonight and see if
I can find something in the docs that will allow it to work properly, but
right now, other then gettin gat the sub-modules themselves, CVSup is
broken ... anon-cvs will fair you better ...

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Neil Conway wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 12:56:11AM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > I've just updated the README.cvsup file in order to reflect the changes,
> > to provide a sample of how to download the whole thing, as well as
> > instructions on how to do "just" a particular module:
>
> I'm using the following cvsup file, and the 'pgsql' module is empty
> (i.e. contains zero files):
>
> *default host=mcvsup.postgresql.org
> *default compress
> *default delete
> *default release=cvs
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> *default base=/mnt/vol2/cvsup/pgsql
>
> *default prefix=/var/lib/cvs
> pgsql
> *default prefix=/var/lib/cvs/pgsql/src/interfaces
> libpqxx
> *default prefix=/var/lib/cvs/pgsql/contrib
> earthdistance
>
> Replacing 'pgsql' with 'pgsql-server' yields a 'no such module' warning
> message and the module is skipped.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil
>
> --
> Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>
> PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

Re: Trimming the Fat: Getting code via CVSup ...

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Try now ... the download isn't going to work right though, as CVSup
> doesn't honor the modules file in CVSROOT which defines how 'pgsql' is
> *supposed* to work ... I'm going to work on this later tonight and see if
> I can find something in the docs that will allow it to work properly, but
> right now, other then gettin gat the sub-modules themselves, CVSup is
> broken ... anon-cvs will fair you better ...

Goodness no! CVSup will work just fine, you just need to make sure that
the modules "package" is available to be downloaded too. So the
client-side CVSup configuration file will change a bit, but nothing else
needs to worry.

This should not stay broken for more than a few hours, otherwise we
should revert the changes until we've worked out more details.

It may be that the server-side CVSup can be configured to include both
packages, but I would guess not since CVS organizes modules above (or
beside) all packages, rather than underneath any of them.
                      - Thomas