Autoconf upgrade

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Autoconf 2.53 was just released, and I'd like us to upgrade to this
release in the next few weeks.  Compared to 2.13, there are tons of new
features in this release that will make our lives easier.

There will be a separate announcement when the change actually happens.
In the meantime, download and install the new release some time. Get yours
here:  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/

Note:  It will not work to just run the new autoconf on the existing
configure.in.  Some changes to configure.in and *.m4 will need to be
applied first.  Also, if you're using autoconf 2.13 in some other project,
you will need to keep it around, as autoconf <2.50 and >=2.50 are not
compatible.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Autoconf upgrade

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Autoconf 2.53 was just released, and I'd like us to upgrade to this
> release in the next few weeks.  Compared to 2.13, there are tons of new
> features in this release that will make our lives easier.

Hmm. I'd much rather be using a version which actually ships with some
distros. I've got 2.13 on my rather fresh Linux box. Anyone else getting
something later any time soon?
                   - Thomas

Re: Autoconf upgrade

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Hmm. I'd much rather be using a version which actually ships with some
> distros. I've got 2.13 on my rather fresh Linux box. Anyone else getting
> something later any time soon?

I tried looking at rpmfind.net to see what Linuxen are doing with it,
but got:

Warning: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /serveur/WWW/public/linux/rpm2html/search.php
on line 202

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can't connect to local MySQL server
through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in
/serveur/WWW/public/linux/rpm2html/search.php on line 202

Could not connect to the database: Can't connect to local MySQL server
through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

Oh well...
                 - Thomas

Re: Autoconf upgrade

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Hmm. I'd much rather be using a version which actually ships with some
> distros. I've got 2.13 on my rather fresh Linux box. Anyone else getting
> something later any time soon?

It looks like Mandrake Cooker (the development builds) have autoconf2.5
as well as autoconf. Presumably many packages will still use autoconf
for the next few months or more...
                  - Thomas

Re: Autoconf upgrade

Date:
Thomas Lockhart <thomas@fourpalms.org> writes:
>> Autoconf 2.53 was just released,

> Hmm. I'd much rather be using a version which actually ships with some
> distros. I've got 2.13 on my rather fresh Linux box. Anyone else getting
> something later any time soon?

(a) FWIW, I really need to do an autoconf upgrade here, for use on other
projects.  So I'm in favor of updating fairly soon.

(b) If we wait for the distros to all catch up we might be waiting a
*long* time.

It is fair to wait a few weeks and see if 2.53 looks like it will stand
the test of time, though.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Autoconf upgrade

From
teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Date:
Thomas Lockhart <thomas@fourpalms.org> writes:
> Hmm. I'd much rather be using a version which actually ships with some
> distros. I've got 2.13 on my rather fresh Linux box

We are switching to it...

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.

Re: Autoconf upgrade

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> We are switching to it...

Great. I was worried about the "not compatible with earlier versions"
implications...
                 - Thomas

Re: Autoconf upgrade

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Thomas Lockhart writes:

> Hmm. I'd much rather be using a version which actually ships with some
> distros. I've got 2.13 on my rather fresh Linux box. Anyone else getting
> something later any time soon?

Autoconf 2.13 is probably going to stay around for quite a while since a
lot of projects are using it.  But it's dead and old (>2 years).

We could argue about using 2.52 or 2.53.  2.52 is widely adopted, but if
we're going to switch, why not use the latest stable release?  We are
quite known for scolding people for using old releases of the software
that we maintain.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Autoconf upgrade

From
Oliver Elphick
Date:
On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 05:30, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > Hmm. I'd much rather be using a version which actually ships with some
> > distros. I've got 2.13 on my rather fresh Linux box. Anyone else getting
> > something later any time soon?
>
> I tried looking at rpmfind.net to see what Linuxen are doing with it,

Debian unstable has 2.52

    "I am the vine, ye are the branches; He that abideth in     me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit;
  for without me ye can do nothing."                                                        John 15:5

Re: Autoconf upgrade

From
"Marc G. Fournier"

%autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.52
Written by David J. MacKenzie.

Copyright 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001
Free Software Foundation, Inc.
%uname -a
FreeBSD postgresql.org 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #1: Tue Mar 12 08:30:14 CST 2002
root@mars.hub.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/kernel i386

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Thomas Lockhart writes:
>
> > Hmm. I'd much rather be using a version which actually ships with some
> > distros. I've got 2.13 on my rather fresh Linux box. Anyone else getting
> > something later any time soon?
>
> Autoconf 2.13 is probably going to stay around for quite a while since a
> lot of projects are using it.  But it's dead and old (>2 years).
>
> We could argue about using 2.52 or 2.53.  2.52 is widely adopted, but if
> we're going to switch, why not use the latest stable release?  We are
> quite known for scolding people for using old releases of the software
> that we maintain.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Autoconf upgrade

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Marc G. Fournier writes:

> %autoconf --version
> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.52

FreeBSD HEAD has 2.53 in ports.  Not sure if you can pull that in if
you're following stable.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Autoconf upgrade

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Easily, just pointing out that we are already at 2.52 on the main server
... just upgraded it on the 12th, will work on upgrading it over the next
day or so, since I'm in the middle of dealing with preparations for a
security audit at the University *oh joy* ... :)

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>
> > %autoconf --version
> > autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.52
>
> FreeBSD HEAD has 2.53 in ports.  Not sure if you can pull that in if
> you're following stable.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Autoconf upgrade

From
GB Clark
Date:
On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:13:58 -0500 (EST)
Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>
> > %autoconf --version
> > autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.52
>
> FreeBSD HEAD has 2.53 in ports.  Not sure if you can pull that in if
> you're following stable.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net
Hi,

The FreeBSD ports tree only has one "branch" and that is the head.  There is no stable or current branch.

When you pull the ports tree you get whatever is there.  It is up to the port to figure out which version
of FreeBSD you have, as is evidenced by the massive breakage right now on current for alot of ports.

GB

--
GB Clark II             | Roaming FreeBSD Admin
gclarkii@VSServices.COM | General Geek           CTHULU for President - Why choose the lesser of two evils?

Re: Autoconf upgrade

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
There's no such thing as stable ports - there is only HEAD...

Chris