Time for 7.2.1?

Date:
Seems like it's about time to release 7.2.1.  We have enough
post-release patches in there that a dot-release is clearly needed
(particularly for the pg_dump-related issues).  And it seems like
not too much new stuff is coming in.  Does anyone have any issues
outstanding that need to be dealt with before 7.2.1?
        regards, tom lane

Post-release patches in the 7.2 branch:

* contrib/tsearch/dict/porter_english.dct (REL7_2_STABLE): Please,apply attached patch for contrib/tsearch to 7.2.1 and
currentCVS.It  fix english stemmer's problem with ending words like'technology'.We have found one more bug in english
stemmer.The bug is with'irregular'  english words like 'skies' -> 'sky'. Please, applyattached cumulative patch to
7.2.1and current CVS insteadprevious one.Thank to Thomas T. Thai <tom@minnesota.com> for hard testing. Thiskind of bug
hassignificance only for dump/reload database andviewing, but searching/indexing works right.Teodor Sigaev

* src/backend/optimizer/prep/prepunion.c (REL7_2_STABLE): Previouspatch to mark UNION outputs with common typmod (if
any)breaksthree-or-more-way UNIONs, as per example from Josh Berkus.  Causeis a fragile assumption that one tlist's
entrieswill exactly matchanother.  Restructure code to make that assumption a little lessfragile.

* src/: backend/utils/adt/timestamp.c,test/regress/expected/timestamp.out,test/regress/expected/timestamptz.out
(REL7_2_STABLE):A backportpatch:Fix bug in extract/date_part for milliseconds/miscroseconds andtimestamp/timestamptz
combo.Now extract/date_part returnsseconds*1000 or 1000000 + fraction part as the manual stats. regression test are
alsofixed.See the thread in pgsql-hackers:Subject: Re: [HACKERS] timestamp_part() bug? Date: Sat, 02 Mar 200211:29:53
+0900

* doc/FAQ_Solaris (REL7_2_STABLE): Update FAQ_Solaris with infoabout gcc 2.95.1 problems and how to work around 64-bit
vsnprintfbug.

* src/backend/tcop/postgres.c (REL7_2_STABLE): Back-patch fix forerrors reported at transaction end.

* src/backend/commands/copy.c (REL7_2_STABLE): Back-patch fix forfollowings:Fix bug in COPY FROM when DELIMITER is not
inASCII range.  Seepgsql-bugs/pgsql-hackers discussion "COPY FROM is not 8bit clean"around 2002/02/26 for more details
--Tatsuo Ishii

* src/: backend/commands/command.c, backend/commands/explain.c,backend/executor/functions.c,
backend/executor/spi.c,backend/nodes/copyfuncs.c,backend/nodes/equalfuncs.c,backend/nodes/readfuncs.c,
backend/parser/analyze.c,backend/tcop/dest.c,backend/tcop/postgres.c,backend/tcop/pquery.c,
backend/tcop/utility.c,include/commands/command.h,include/nodes/parsenodes.h,include/tcop/dest.h,
include/tcop/pquery.h,include/tcop/utility.h(REL7_2_STABLE): Back-patch fix for command completion reporthandling.
Thisis primarily needed so that INSERTing a row stillreports the row's OID even when there are ON INSERT rules
firingadditionalqueries.

* src/bin/psql/command.c (REL7_2_STABLE): Tweak psql's \connectcommand to not downcase unquoted database and user
names. This isa temporary measure to allow backwards compatibility with 7.2 andearlier pg_dump.  7.2.1 and later
pg_dumpwill double-quote mixedcase names in \connect.  Once we feel that older dumps are not aproblem anymore, we can
revertthis change and treat \connectarguments as normal SQL identifiers.

* src/backend/libpq/auth.c (REL7_2_STABLE): Fix for PAM errormessage display:> and that the right fix is to make each
ofthe subsequent calls bein> this same pattern, not to try to emulate their nonsensical style.Dominic J. Eidson

* src/backend/utils/adt/datetime.c (REL7_2_STABLE): Add a largenumber of time zones to the lookup table.  Fix a
fewapparently-wrongTZ vs DTZ declarations.  Same patch as added toHEAD.

* src/include/libpq/pqsignal.h (REL7_2_STABLE): We had a problemwith to compile pgsql-7.2 under SW-8.0.  In the mailing
listsIfound no informations.    See note for further informations.Add missing AuthBlockSig.regards Heiko

* doc/: FAQ_russian, src/FAQ/FAQ_russian.html (REL7_2_STABLE):BACKPATCH:Add Russian FAQ to 7.2.1.  Why not?

* contrib/btree_gist/btree_gist.c (REL7_2_STABLE): BACKPATCH:Please, apply attached patch of contrib/btree_gist to
7.2.1andcurrent cvs.  The patch fixes memory leak during creation GiSTindex on timestamp column.Thank you.-- Teodor
Sigaevteodor@stack.net

* src/backend/utils/adt/cash.c (REL7_2_STABLE): Avoid failures incash_out and cash_words for INT_MIN.  Also, 'fourty'
->'forty'.

* src/backend/commands/analyze.c (REL7_2_STABLE): Replacenumber-of-distinct-values estimator equation, per recent
pghackersdiscussion.

* src/bin/pgaccess/lib/tables.tcl (REL7_2_STABLE): Fixkanji-coversion key binding. This has been broken since 7.1
PerYoshinoriAriie's report.

* doc/src/sgml/ref/alter_table.sgml: Fix SGML typo in previouspatch.

* doc/src/sgml/ref/alter_table.sgml: I think it's important thatit's actually documented that they can add primary keys
afterthefact!Also, we need to add regression tests for alter table / add primarykey and alter table / drop constraint.
 These shouldn't be addeduntil 7.3 tho methinks...Chris

* doc/src/sgml/ref/alter_table.sgml: Clarify params to ALTER TABLEto clearly show single parameters.e.g. table
contraintdefinition -> table_constraint_definition.

* src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/pgc.l: Remove warning about automaticinclusion of sqlca.

* src/: backend/commands/command.c, backend/executor/spi.c,backend/utils/mmgr/portalmem.c, include/utils/portal.h:
Ensurethata cursor is scanned under the same scanCommandId it was originallycreated with, so that the set of visible
tuplesdoes not change asa result of other activity.  This essentially makes PG cursorsINSENSITIVE per the SQL92
definition. See bug report of 13-Feb-02.

* doc/src/sgml/ref/createuser.sgml: Point out that --adduseractually makes the new user a superuser.  This was
mentionedon theman page for the underlying CREATE USER command, but it should beexplained here too.

* src/backend/port/dynloader/: README.dlfcn.aix, aix.h, bsdi.h,dgux.h, freebsd.h, irix5.h, linux.h, netbsd.h,
openbsd.h,osf.h,sco.h, solaris.h, sunos4.h, svr4.h, univel.h, unixware.h, win.h:Use RTLD_NOW, not RTLD_LAZY, as binding
modefor dlopen() on allplatforms.  This restores the Linux behavior to what it was in PG7.0 and 7.1, and causes other
platformsto agree.  (Otherwell-tested platforms like HPUX were doing it this way already.) Per pghackers discussion
overthe past month or so.

* doc/FAQ_Solaris: Add warning not to use /usr/ucb/cc on Solaris.

* doc/src/sgml/advanced.sgml: Fix tutorial for references problem,from rainer.tammer@spg.schulergroup.com

* doc/src/sgml/ref/copy.sgml, src/backend/commands/copy.c: ModifyCOPY TO to emit carriage returns and newlines as
backslashescapes(backslash-r, backslash-n) for protection againstnewline-conversion munging.  In future we will also
tweakCOPYFROM, but this part of the change should be backwards-compatible. Per pghackers discussion.  Also, update COPY
referencepage todescribe the backslash conversions more completely and accurately.

* doc/src/sgml/wal.sgml: Update wal files computationdocumentation.

* src/backend/access/gist/gist.c: Tweak GiST code to work correctlyon machines where 8-byte alignment of pointers is
required. Patchfrom Teodor Sigaev per pghackers discussion.  It's an ugly klugebut avoids forcing initdb; we'll put a
betterfix into 7.3 orlater.

* src/backend/port/dynloader/freebsd.h: Fix for old FreeBSDversions that don't have RTLD_GLOBAL

* src/backend/executor/: nodeIndexscan.c, nodeTidscan.c: Repairproblems with EvalPlanQual where target table is scanned
asinnerindexscan (ie, one with runtime keys).    ExecIndexReScan mustcompute or recompute runtime keys even if we are
rescanningin theEPQ case.  TidScan seems to have comparable problems.  Per bugnoted by Barry Lind 11-Feb-02.

* contrib/pg_upgrade/pg_upgrade: Fix flag handling of pg_upgrade.

* src/bin/pg_dump/: common.c, pg_backup.h, pg_backup_archiver.c,pg_dump.c, pg_dump.h, pg_dumpall.sh: Be more wary about
mixed-casedatabasenames and user names.    Get the CREATE DATABASE commandright in pg_dump -C case.

* doc/src/sgml/ref/: pg_dump.sgml, pg_restore.sgml: pg_dump andpg_restore man pages need to mention that one should
restoreinto avirgin database, ie, one created from template0, if there are anysite-local additions in template1.

* src/backend/storage/file/fd.c: Don't Assert() that fsync() andclose() never fail; I have seen this crash on Solaris
whenoverdisk quota.  Instead, report such failures via elog(DEBUG).

* src/backend/utils/init/findbe.c: Move sys/types.h to top, forhiroyuki hanai/ FreeBSD.

* contrib/mysql/my2pg.pl: Upgrade my2pg version 1.23.

* src/backend/postmaster/pgstat.c: pgstat's truncation of querystring needs to be multibyte-aware.  Patch from
sugita@sra.co.jp.

* contrib/: intarray/_int.c, tsearch/README.tsearch,tsearch/gistidx.c, tsearch/tsearch.sql.in: Repair some problems
inGIST-indexcontrib modules.  Patch from Teodor Sigaev<teodor@stack.net>.

* src/backend/tcop/utility.c: Removed a check for REINDEX TABLE.

* doc/Makefile: Fix for parallel make

* src/bin/pg_dump/: pg_backup_archiver.c, pg_dump.c: Fix failure toreconnect as sequence's owner before issuing
setval().

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

From
"Nicolas Bazin"
Date:
The ecpg Patch I send correct a bug in the pre-processor that it would be
nice to have in this release.
> [...]
> close() never fail; I have seen this crash on Solaris when over
> disk quota.  Instead, report such failures via elog(DEBUG).

> * src/backend/utils/init/findbe.c: Move sys/types.h to top, for
> hiroyuki hanai/ FreeBSD.

> * contrib/mysql/my2pg.pl: Upgrade my2pg version 1.23.

> * src/backend/postmaster/pgstat.c: pgstat's truncation of query
> string needs to be multibyte-aware.  Patch from sugita@sra.co.jp.

> * contrib/: intarray/_int.c, tsearch/README.tsearch,
> tsearch/gistidx.c, tsearch/tsearch.sql.in: Repair some problems in
> GIST-index contrib modules.  Patch from Teodor Sigaev
> <teodor@stack.net>.

> * src/backend/tcop/utility.c: Removed a check for REINDEX TABLE.

> * doc/Makefile: Fix for parallel make

> * src/bin/pg_dump/: pg_backup_archiver.c, pg_dump.c: Fix failure to
> reconnect as sequence's owner before issuing setval().

Date:
I see the patch appeared on patches March 4, and on hackers March 6:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&q=BUG%23599&btnG=Google+Search&meta=group%3Dcomp.databases.postgresql.*

I was hoping our ecpg guy could take a look at it before it was applied.
I will apply it in a day or so.  It is in the patches queue just added
todo:

Nicolas Bazin wrote:
> The ecpg Patch I send correct a bug in the pre-processor that it would be
> nice to have in this release.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

Date:
Sorry, should have been clearer.  I don't think the ecpg patch qualifies
as a major bug that should be fixed in 7.2.1.  It will appear in 7.3.

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I see the patch appeared on patches March 4, and on hackers March 6:
>
>     http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&q=BUG%23599&btnG=Google+Search&meta=group%3Dcomp.databases.postgresql.*
>
> I was hoping our ecpg guy could take a look at it before it was applied.
> I will apply it in a day or so.  It is in the patches queue just added
> todo:
>
>     http://candle.pha.pa.us/cgi-bin/pgpatches

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

Date:
> Sorry, should have been clearer.  I don't think the ecpg patch qualifies
> as a major bug that should be fixed in 7.2.1.

Not unless Meskes thinks so, anyway ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

From
Teodor Sigaev
Date:
Sorry, one more patch for tsearch.

Pleas apply it for 7.2.1 and current CVS.

Patch fixes using lc.lang instead of lc.lc_ctype.
Thank you.

Tom Lane wrote:
> [...]
>     close() never fail; I have seen this crash on Solaris when over
>     disk quota.  Instead, report such failures via elog(DEBUG).

>     * src/backend/utils/init/findbe.c: Move sys/types.h to top, for
>     hiroyuki hanai/ FreeBSD.

>     * contrib/mysql/my2pg.pl: Upgrade my2pg version 1.23.

>     * src/backend/postmaster/pgstat.c: pgstat's truncation of query
>     string needs to be multibyte-aware.  Patch from sugita@sra.co.jp.

>     * contrib/: intarray/_int.c, tsearch/README.tsearch,
>     tsearch/gistidx.c, tsearch/tsearch.sql.in: Repair some problems in
>     GIST-index contrib modules.  Patch from Teodor Sigaev
>     <teodor@stack.net>.

>     * src/backend/tcop/utility.c: Removed a check for REINDEX TABLE.

>     * doc/Makefile: Fix for parallel make

>     * src/bin/pg_dump/: pg_backup_archiver.c, pg_dump.c: Fix failure to
>     reconnect as sequence's owner before issuing setval().

Attachment

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

Date:
Applied to current and 7.2.X.  Thanks.

(No delay for /contrib commits from maintainers.)

Teodor Sigaev wrote:
> [...]
> >     close() never fail; I have seen this crash on Solaris when over
> >     disk quota.  Instead, report such failures via elog(DEBUG).

> >     * src/backend/utils/init/findbe.c: Move sys/types.h to top, for
> >     hiroyuki hanai/ FreeBSD.

> >     * contrib/mysql/my2pg.pl: Upgrade my2pg version 1.23.

> >     * src/backend/postmaster/pgstat.c: pgstat's truncation of query
> >     string needs to be multibyte-aware.  Patch from sugita@sra.co.jp.

> >     * contrib/: intarray/_int.c, tsearch/README.tsearch,
> >     tsearch/gistidx.c, tsearch/tsearch.sql.in: Repair some problems in
> >     GIST-index contrib modules.  Patch from Teodor Sigaev
> >     <teodor@stack.net>.

> >     * src/backend/tcop/utility.c: Removed a check for REINDEX TABLE.

> >     * doc/Makefile: Fix for parallel make

> >     * src/bin/pg_dump/: pg_backup_archiver.c, pg_dump.c: Fix failure to
> >     reconnect as sequence's owner before issuing setval().

[ application/gzip is not supported, skipping... ]

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

From
"Thomas F. O'Connell"
Date:
is there any further word on 7.2.1, at this point? haven't seen mention
of it on the list in a while? is it still waiting on something big?

-tfo

Date:
"Thomas F. O'Connell" <tfo@monsterlabs.com> writes:
> is there any further word on 7.2.1, at this point? haven't seen mention
> of it on the list in a while? is it still waiting on something big?

Well, we were gonna release it last weekend, but now it's waiting on
sequence fixes (currently being tested).  And Lockhart may also wish to
hold it up while he looks at the recently reported timestamp_part
problem.  (Thomas, are you considering backpatching that?)  One way
or another I'd expect it next week sometime.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Well, we were gonna release it last weekend, but now it's waiting on
> sequence fixes (currently being tested).  And Lockhart may also wish to
> hold it up while he looks at the recently reported timestamp_part
> problem.  (Thomas, are you considering backpatching that?)  One way
> or another I'd expect it next week sometime.

I'll consider backpatching once I have a chance to dive in.

It is somewhat complicated by the fact that my code tree is pretty
massively changed in this area as I implement an int64-based date/time
storage alternative to the float64 scheme we use now. The alternative
would be enabled with something like #ifdef HAVE_INT64_TIMESTAMP.
Benefits would include having a predictable precision behavior for all
allowed dates and times.
                       - Thomas

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

Date:
Thomas Lockhart <thomas@fourpalms.org> writes:
> It is somewhat complicated by the fact that my code tree is pretty
> massively changed in this area as I implement an int64-based date/time
> storage alternative to the float64 scheme we use now. The alternative
> would be enabled with something like #ifdef HAVE_INT64_TIMESTAMP.
> Benefits would include having a predictable precision behavior for all
> allowed dates and times.

Interesting.  But if this is just an #ifdef, I can see some serious
problems coming up the first time someone runs a backend compiled with
one set of timestamp code in a database created with the other.  May
I suggest that the timestamp representation be identified in a field
added to pg_control?  That's how we deal with other options that
affect database contents ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

Date:
I believe we've now committed fixes for all the "must fix" items there
were for 7.2.1.  Does anyone have any reasons to hold up 7.2.1 more,
or are we ready to go?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

Tom Lane wrote:
> I believe we've now committed fixes for all the "must fix" items there
> were for 7.2.1.  Does anyone have any reasons to hold up 7.2.1 more,
> or are we ready to go?

I need to brand 7.2.1 --- will do tomorrow.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

Date:
OK, I have branded 7.2.1 and updated HISTORY/release.sgml. Do we want
any special text about the sequence bug fix, or just mention in the
announcement that all 7.2 people should upgrade?

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > I believe we've now committed fixes for all the "must fix" items there
> > were for 7.2.1.  Does anyone have any reasons to hold up 7.2.1 more,
> > or are we ready to go?
>
> I need to brand 7.2.1 --- will do tomorrow.

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

Date:
> OK, I have branded 7.2.1 and updated HISTORY/release.sgml. Do we want
> any special text about the sequence bug fix, or just mention in the
> announcement that all 7.2 people should upgrade?

The first change item should maybe be more explicit, say
Ensure that sequence counters do not go backwards after a crash

Otherwise I think it's fine.  BTW, the bug exists in 7.1 as well.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

Tom Lane wrote:
> > OK, I have branded 7.2.1 and updated HISTORY/release.sgml. Do we want
> > any special text about the sequence bug fix, or just mention in the
> > announcement that all 7.2 people should upgrade?
>
> The first change item should maybe be more explicit, say
>
>     Ensure that sequence counters do not go backwards after a crash
>
> Otherwise I think it's fine.  BTW, the bug exists in 7.1 as well.

Done.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

From
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain"
Date:
On March 18, 2002 06:12 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> OK, I have branded 7.2.1 and updated HISTORY/release.sgml. Do we want
> any special text about the sequence bug fix, or just mention in the
> announcement that all 7.2 people should upgrade?

Does this mean that I can start putting fixes and upgrades into PyGreSQL?

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

Date:
D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> On March 18, 2002 06:12 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > OK, I have branded 7.2.1 and updated HISTORY/release.sgml. Do we want
> > any special text about the sequence bug fix, or just mention in the
> > announcement that all 7.2 people should upgrade?
>
> Does this mean that I can start putting fixes and upgrades into PyGreSQL?

Sure, main CVS is open for 7.3.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

Date:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> we have something to add. It's quite important for users of our tsearch module.
> Too late ?

For 7.2.1, I don't think it is too late but I don't think we can wait
days.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> > Bruce,
> >
> > we have something to add. It's quite important for users of our tsearch module.
> > Too late ?
>
> For 7.2.1, I don't think it is too late but I don't think we can wait
> days.

I'll do a wrap on Friday, if Oleg wants to get his stuff in and tested?

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

Date:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> > > Bruce,
> > >
> > > we have something to add. It's quite important for users of our tsearch module.
> > > Too late ?
> >
> > For 7.2.1, I don't think it is too late but I don't think we can wait
> > days.
>
> Don't wait. It's below:
>
> Users of contrib/tsearch needs after upgrading of module (compiling, installing)
> to perform sql command:
>  update pg_amop set amopreqcheck = true where amopclaid =
>       (select oid from pg_opclass where opcname = 'gist_txtidx_ops');

Oleg, sorry, I don't understand where this should appear.  In the README
file, and if so, where?  Is this something only for people upgrading
from 7.2?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

Date:
OK, patch applied to 7.2.1 only --- no need to have that mentioned in
7.3 README.tsearch.  HISTORY/release.sgml updated in both branches:
contrib/tsearch dictionary improvements, see README.tsearch for  an additional installation step (Thomas T. Thai,
TeodorSigaev)

Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> > > Don't wait. It's below:
> > >
> > > Users of contrib/tsearch needs after upgrading of module (compiling, installing)
> > > to perform sql command:
> > >  update pg_amop set amopreqcheck = true where amopclaid =
> > >       (select oid from pg_opclass where opcname = 'gist_txtidx_ops');
> >
> > Oleg, sorry, I don't understand where this should appear.  In the README
> > file, and if so, where?  Is this something only for people upgrading
> > from 7.2?
>
> Sorry Bruce, I was unclear. I have attached patch to Readme.tsearch
> Also, It'd be worth to mention in Changes to point users of tsearch
> about importang upgrade notices.
>

>     Regards,
>         Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Time for 7.2.1?

From