Third call for platform testing

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
We've got most platforms ironed out, with just a few left to get a
definitive report. It looks like we'll end up dropping a few platforms
for this release (the first time in several years that the number of
supported platforms decreased!).

The problem platforms with comments and questions are:

Linux/arm    Mark Knox             Obsolete platform? gcc no longer supported?
Linux/s390   Neale Ferguson             Likely small user base.             Anyone actively running on S390?
NetBSD/arm32 Patrick Welche
NetBSD/m68k  Bill Studenmund             Bill, you thought you might get the old iron tested.             Any luck?
NetBSD/VAX   Tom I. Helbekkmo             Any VAXen out there nowadays?
QNX          Bernd Tegge, Igor Kovalenko             Anyone tested 4.x with 7.2,             or are we stuck with QNX6
needingpatches?

SunOS        Tatsuo Ishii             Are we giving up on this one? Still relevant?
Windows/Cygwin Daniel Horak             OK in serial test, trouble with parallel test?
Showstopper??
Windows/native Magnus Hagander (clients only)             Any reports?

And those reported as successful:

AIX          Andreas Zeugswetter (Tatsuo working on 5L?)
BeOS         Cyril Velter
BSD/OS       Bruce
FreeBSD      Chris Kings-Lynne
HPUX         Tom (anyone tested 11.0 or higher?)
IRIX         Luis Amigo
Linux/Alpha  Tom
Linux/MIPS   Hisao Shibuya
Linux/PPC    Tom
Linux/sparc  Doug McNaught
Linux/x86    Thomas (and many others ;)
MacOS-X      Gavin Sherry
NetBSD/Alpha Thomas Thai
NetBSD/PPC   Bill Studenmund
NetBSD/sparc Matthew Green
NetBSD/x86   Bill Studenmund
OpenBSD/sparc Brandon Palmer
OpenBSD/x86  Brandon Palmer
SCO OpenUnix Larry Rosenman
Solaris/sparc Andrew Sullivan
Solaris/x86  Martin Renters
Tru64        Alessio Bragadini (trouble with 5.1?)

Re: Third call for platform testing

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> > HPUX         Tom (anyone tested 11.0 or higher?)
> I thought we had a success report from someone for HPUX 11.

Yup. I have it in my (uncommitted) sgml list, but have been cutting and
pasting from previous emails and forgot to update this one.

> BTW, I'm hoping to help Tatsuo look into the reported instability
> on AIX 5L.  I'm guessing it's some unportable assumption in the
> new LWLock code about behavior of semaphores.  If we're really
> lucky this might also extend to the reported Cygwin problem...

Great. Do we have other folks looking at cygwin too, or is it dead in
the water unless you come up with something?
                    - Thomas

Re: Third call for platform testing

Date:
Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@fourpalms.org> writes:
> HPUX         Tom (anyone tested 11.0 or higher?)

I thought we had a success report from someone for HPUX 11.

BTW, I'm hoping to help Tatsuo look into the reported instability
on AIX 5L.  I'm guessing it's some unportable assumption in the
new LWLock code about behavior of semaphores.  If we're really
lucky this might also extend to the reported Cygwin problem...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Third call for platform testing

From
Dave Page

Compiled OK with a few warnings using M$ VC++ 6, Service Pack 5.

Randomly tested psql/libpq with 7.2b3 on Slackware Linux 8.0 - no problems
found.

NOTE: I'm not able to test libpq++ as I don't know C++ or have any apps to
compile/test it with - it compiled OK though :-).

Regards, Dave.

Re: Third call for platform testing

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Thomas Lockhart writes:

> QNX          Bernd Tegge, Igor Kovalenko
>               Anyone tested 4.x with 7.2,
>               or are we stuck with QNX6 needing patches?

Please note that QNX 4 and QNX 6 are completely different operating
systems that happen to come from the same company.  So you don't want to
have one entry for both of them.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Date:
> Please note that QNX 4 and QNX 6 are completely different operating
> systems that happen to come from the same company.  So you don't want to
> have one entry for both of them.

Oh, of course. Don't know why one would assume that they are versions of
the *same* OS ;)

From recent emails, it looks like QNX 4 should be listed as supported,
and QNX 6 could/should be listed as "supported with patches". Or should
the status for 6 be something different?
                    - Thomas

Re: Third call for platform testing

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> SunOS        Tatsuo Ishii
>               Are we giving up on this one? Still relevant?

What should we do? The only remaining issue is a non-8-bit-clean
memcmp, which seems pretty easy to fix it.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Dave Page wrote:

> > Windows/native Magnus Hagander (clients only)
> Compiled OK with a few warnings using M$ VC++ 6, Service Pack 5.
> Randomly tested psql/libpq with 7.2b3 on Slackware Linux 8.0 - no problems
> found.

Great! Thanks for testing and reporting...
                 - Thomas

Re: Third call for platform testing

Date:
> > SunOS        Tatsuo Ishii
> >               Are we giving up on this one? Still relevant?
>
> What should we do? The only remaining issue is a non-8-bit-clean
> memcmp, which seems pretty easy to fix it.

Yes, seems we could go a few directions with SunOS:
Leave bit types broken on that platform, document itHard-code in a memcmp() in C for just that platform in varbit.cAdd
configuretest and real memcmp() function for bad platforms

Anyone want to vote on these?  Personally, SunOS seems like the
granddaddy of ports and I would hate to see it leave, especially when we
are so close.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Third call for platform testing

Date:
> > Please note that QNX 4 and QNX 6 are completely different operating
> > systems that happen to come from the same company.  So you don't want to
> > have one entry for both of them.
>
> Oh, of course. Don't know why one would assume that they are versions of
> the *same* OS ;)
>
> >From recent emails, it looks like QNX 4 should be listed as supported,
> and QNX 6 could/should be listed as "supported with patches". Or should
> the status for 6 be something different?

That seems right to me.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Third call for platform testing

From
"Permaine Cheung"
Date:
Build and test run sucessfully on Linux/390 and
Linux/PlayStation2 with low-order-digit diffs in
geometry.

Permaine

Date:
> Build and test run sucessfully on Linux/390 and
> Linux/PlayStation2 with low-order-digit diffs in
> geometry.

Oooh, too cool. Thanks for the report! Could you post results (the
regression.out file etc) on the developer's web site? Especially for the
new platform: we probably need more details on how easy or hard it was
to get the new platform working...
                  - Thomas

Re: Third call for platform testing

From
"Permaine Cheung"
Date:
Sure, I'll post the results. Actually, on S/390, there's no need
to change anything, but on the PS/2, the test-and-set code
doesn't work on that CPU, Tom Lane suggested a workaround -
undefine HAS_TEST_AND_SET and remove slock_t type
definition in the port include file. With those modifications,
both the build and tests work fine.

Permaine

> > Build and test run sucessfully on Linux/390 and
> > Linux/PlayStation2 with low-order-digit diffs in
> > geometry.
>
> Oooh, too cool. Thanks for the report! Could you post results (the
> regression.out file etc) on the developer's web site? Especially for the
> new platform: we probably need more details on how easy or hard it was
> to get the new platform working...
>
>                    - Thomas

Re: Third call for platform testing

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
> Build and test run sucessfully on Linux/390 and
> Linux/PlayStation2 with low-order-digit diffs in
> geometry.

Cool - Postgres on a PlayStation 2!!!

Chris

Date:
> Sure, I'll post the results. Actually, on S/390, there's no need
> to change anything, but on the PS/2, the test-and-set code
> doesn't work on that CPU, Tom Lane suggested a workaround -
> undefine HAS_TEST_AND_SET and remove slock_t type
> definition in the port include file. With those modifications,
> both the build and tests work fine.

OK, S/390 is easy.

For PS/2, how does the CPU identify itself? If you have to remove the
slock_t definition from the port include file then presumably it does
identify itself as one of the already supported CPUs (alpha, arm, ia64,
i386, mips, ppc, sparc, s390), right? Or does some other default setting
get used that you then #undef in that include file?

A few more details would probably let someone reproduce your result,
which would be enough to consider this as a supported platform. That is,
as long as you aren't running the only PlayStation 2 in the world with
Linux?? Heck, on second thought we'd consider it supported even so ;)
                    - Thomas

Re: Third call for platform testing

From
"Permaine Cheung"

> OK, S/390 is easy.
>
> For PS/2, how does the CPU identify itself? If you have to remove the
> slock_t definition from the port include file then presumably it does
> identify itself as one of the already supported CPUs (alpha, arm, ia64,
> i386, mips, ppc, sparc, s390), right? Or does some other default setting
> get used that you then #undef in that include file?

I specified --template=linux. :)

> A few more details would probably let someone reproduce your result,
> which would be enough to consider this as a supported platform. That is,
> as long as you aren't running the only PlayStation 2 in the world with
> Linux?? Heck, on second thought we'd consider it supported even so ;)

I'm trying to submit the report, however, I've been getting a
PostgreSQL query failure saying regresstests does not exist in
/usr/local/www/developer/regress/regress.php.

Permaine

Re: Third call for platform testing

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Permaine Cheung wrote:

> > OK, S/390 is easy.
> >
> > For PS/2, how does the CPU identify itself? If you have to remove the
> > slock_t definition from the port include file then presumably it does
> > identify itself as one of the already supported CPUs (alpha, arm, ia64,
> > i386, mips, ppc, sparc, s390), right? Or does some other default setting
> > get used that you then #undef in that include file?
>
> I specified --template=linux. :)
>
> > A few more details would probably let someone reproduce your result,
> > which would be enough to consider this as a supported platform. That is,
> > as long as you aren't running the only PlayStation 2 in the world with
> > Linux?? Heck, on second thought we'd consider it supported even so ;)
> >

> I'm trying to submit the report, however, I've been getting a
> PostgreSQL query failure saying regresstests does not exist in
> /usr/local/www/developer/regress/regress.php.

Marc moved the database yesterday to another machine.  The database
I use for mirroring, regression tests, the website, and a bunch of
other things has yet to be restored.  I can't do it myself because
the other machine is no longer listening.  So I'm just about 100%
out of business.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Date:
> Marc moved the database yesterday to another machine.  The database
> I use for mirroring, regression tests, the website, and a bunch of
> other things has yet to be restored.  I can't do it myself because
> the other machine is no longer listening.  So I'm just about 100%
> out of business.

Whoops. Marc, can we help with something here?
                     - Thomas

Date:
> > For PS/2, how does the CPU identify itself? If you have to remove the
> > slock_t definition from the port include file then presumably it does
> > identify itself as one of the already supported CPUs (alpha, arm, ia64,
> > i386, mips, ppc, sparc, s390), right? Or does some other default setting
> > get used that you then #undef in that include file?
> I specified --template=linux. :)

And it is an x86 CPU?

> > A few more details would probably let someone reproduce your result,
> > which would be enough to consider this as a supported platform. That is,
> > as long as you aren't running the only PlayStation 2 in the world with
> > Linux?? Heck, on second thought we'd consider it supported even so ;)
> I'm trying to submit the report, however, I've been getting a
> PostgreSQL query failure saying regresstests does not exist in
> /usr/local/www/developer/regress/regress.php.

Yeah, something apparently broke on the server. Vince?

In the meantime, you can post those results to this mailing list (or to
the -ports mailing list).
                 - Thomas

Date:
> And it is an x86 CPU?

It's a mips CPU.

Permaine

Date:
On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Permaine Cheung wrote:

> > And it is an x86 CPU?
>
> It's a mips CPU.

Is there some way of connecting a hard disk to the PS/2?  My kid has
one but I never looked at it that close.

BTW, regression tests are back up.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Third call for platform testing

From
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Date:
On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 12:51:42PM -0500, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Permaine Cheung wrote:
>
> > > And it is an x86 CPU?
> >
> > It's a mips CPU.
>
> Is there some way of connecting a hard disk to the PS/2?  My kid has
> one but I never looked at it that close.

http://www.linuxworld.com/ic_717468_6995_1-3133.html

Linux for PS2 came out of Sony/UK, apparently. It consists of:
   *  DVD-ROM for all the software   * USB keyboard   * USB wheel mouse   * 10/100 Ethernet adapter   * 40GB hard drive
w/PCMCIA connector   * PlayStation2->VGA adapter

Can't seem to _find_ it for the US ones though. Seems early Japanese
version of the PS@ had a PCMCIA slot.

Ross

Re: Third call for platform testing

From