Any time estimates for 7.1.2 RPM's ?

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
Hi,

Is there any plans for making RPM's for 7.1.2 ?

I'm particularily interested in RPM's for RH 6.2 as I have
only a few sites running RH 7.x and can do the usual
configure-make-make install on these.

------------------
Hannu

Re: Any time estimates for 7.1.2 RPM's ?

From
"D. Hageman"
Date:
If you are in a real big hurry - you can always look at RedHat's
rawhide (the devel tree) and pick up those postgresql rpms.  However, you
need to pull the SRPM and compile for the proper release of of the system
you are running.

btw, the normal configure-make-makeinstall method doesn't work on RedHat
6.2?  Weird ... works for me (tm).

--
//========================================================\\
||  D. Hageman                    <dhageman@dracken.com>  ||

Date:
"D. Hageman" wrote:

> If you are in a real big hurry - you can always look at RedHat's
> rawhide (the devel tree) and pick up those postgresql rpms.  However, you
> need to pull the SRPM and compile for the proper release of of the system
> you are running.
Thanks! downloading it now.

> btw, the normal configure-make-makeinstall method doesn't work on RedHat
> 6.2?  Weird ... works for me (tm).

It works for me too, just that I have quite many installations some of
which
don't even have a compiler installed. It does not work without gcc ;)

-------------
Hannu

Re: Any time estimates for 7.1.2 RPM's ?

From
Lamar Owen
Date:

Date:

Re: Any time estimates for 7.1.2 RPM's ?

From
Sergio Bruder
Date:
On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 08:43:36AM +0500, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there any plans for making RPM's for 7.1.2 ?
>
> I'm particularily interested in RPM's for RH 6.2 as I have
> only a few sites running RH 7.x and can do the usual
> configure-make-make install on these.
>
> ------------------
> Hannu

<BLATANT_SELF_PROMOTION>

We already have 7.1.2 RPM's for Conectiva Linux
(snapshot.conectiva.com for more details), and you can apt-get them
(if you are using Conectiva, that is).

The only drawback of this packages is that they have pltcl and plperl
flagged off.

</BLATANT_SELF_PROMOTION>

Sergio Bruder

-- (          )) (tm)    http://sergio.bruder.net
|""|-.         http://pontobr.org
|__|-'         bruder@conectiva.com.br, sergio@bruder.net
pub  1024D/0C7D9F49 2000-05-26 Sergio Devojno Bruder <bruder@conectiva.com.br>    Key fingerprint = 983F DBDF FB53 FE55
87DF 71CA 6B01 5E44 0C7D 9F49

sub  1024g/138DF93D 2000-05-26

Date:
Lamar Owen wrote:

> Saturday morning I will have another air-shift here, and I'm _not_ planning
> any computer surgery this time!  (argh for D-Link's DFE-530TX being
> incompatible with an ABit KT7A motherboard!  Double ARGH for the ATA-100 data
> corruption it caused -- to 180GB of data (our broadcast music library on hard
> drive)  AND another ARGH for VIA's ATA-100 bugs  AND yet another for one
> cranky Maxtor 60GB drive.....).  So I fully expect to release RPM's for 7.1.2
> by noon Saturday.

That would be great

> While the advice to pick up the Rawhide 7.1.2 source RPM is sound for a user
> of RedHat 7.x, unless you have updated to RPM 3.0.5 or greater on your 6.2
> boxen you won't be able to install the source RPM from Rawhide, since it was
> written in RPM4 format.

Thanks for this info. I had just completed a --rebuild on RH 7.1 and
planned to
do the same on 6.2, but I guess I'd rather wait a few days.

I have had bad experience upgrading rpm package a few times (the rpm
database
getting whacked and all subsequent installs claiming some packages to be
missing)
so I'd rather avoid upgrading unless I absolutely have to.

-------------
Hannu

Re: Any time estimates for 7.1.2 RPM's ?

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:

> > btw, the normal configure-make-makeinstall method doesn't work on RedHat
> > 6.2?  Weird ... works for me (tm).
>
> It works for me too, just that I have quite many installations some
> of which don't even have a compiler installed. It does not work
> without gcc ;)

I've found that doing conf/make/make install on a dev system, and then
copying the resulting /usr/local/pgsql tree to production systems,
works fine.  Not quite as clean as RPM, but quite usable--I was doing
this with 7.1pre before 7.1 came out.  Of course, your library
versions and all that have to match reasonably closely...

-Doug
--
The rain man gave me two cures; he said jump right in,
The first was Texas medicine--the second was just railroad gin,

teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Date:
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:

> Lamar Owen wrote:
> >
> > While the advice to pick up the Rawhide 7.1.2 source RPM is sound for a user
> > of RedHat 7.x, unless you have updated to RPM 3.0.5 or greater on your 6.2
> > boxen you won't be able to install the source RPM from Rawhide, since it was
> > written in RPM4 format.
>
> Thanks for this info. I had just completed a --rebuild on RH 7.1 and
> planned to  do the same on 6.2, but I guess I'd rather wait a few
> days.

Note that most 6.2 systems already have a new version, as both 3.0.5
and 4.0.2 have been released at erratas at different times.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.

Date:

RE: Any time estimates for 7.1.2 RPM's ?

From
Rachit Siamwalla
Date:
But beforwarned that if you build the package on rpm 3.0.5, the machines
with previous versions of RPM will not be able to install that RPM. So you
will have to upgrade all of your machines (and also install a couple of
libraries, ie. popt and something else or the other). (correct me if I'm
wrong here...)

-rchit