place for newbie postgresql hackers to work

From
"James Buchanan"
Date:
Could I ask a huge favour of the experienced PostgreSQL hackers to make a
simple page on the postgreSQL.org website listing TODO items that newbie
hackers can get stuck into? I was thinking of doing elog() myself, but then
again, I'm not experienced enough in PostgreSQL to do something that the
developers would actually like.

I know this is a big ask, but once its done its done, and we can all get on
with the job. Not trying to criticize anyone, this is not a flame! Just
asking for a place for newbies to start hacking.

:-)

Appreciated very much.

--
James

RE: place for newbie postgresql hackers to work

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
> I know this is a big ask, but once its done its done, and we can
> all get on
> with the job. Not trying to criticize anyone, this is not a flame! Just
> asking for a place for newbies to start hacking.

Why not start with Thomas Swan's earlier posting?:

> I just got bit by the identifier name is too long and will be truncated
> limitation in Postgresql.
>
> AFIAA there is a limit of 64 characters for identifiers (names of
> tables, sequences, indexes, etc...)
>
> I had just started to get in the habit of using serial data types until
> I made to tables with long names and the automatic sequence names that
> were generated conflicted, *ouch* ...
>
> Is there the possibility of a name conflict resolution during the table
> creation phase similar to "the name I want to assign is already taken,
> so I'll pick a different name..." on the serial data type?

Chris

Re: place for newbie postgresql hackers to work

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > I know this is a big ask, but once its done its done, and we can
> > all get on
> > with the job. Not trying to criticize anyone, this is not a flame! Just
> > asking for a place for newbies to start hacking.
>
> Why not start with Thomas Swan's earlier posting?:
   Because  first, exactly that would require a good concept and   (at least I expect it to) a fair  amount  of  system
catalog   changes - not the best *newbe* starter.

   I  like  the  idea  though.  Let  the  experienced developers   identify *legwork* TODO items.

Jan

Re: place for newbie postgresql hackers to work

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
James Buchanan writes:

> Could I ask a huge favour of the experienced PostgreSQL hackers to make a
> simple page on the postgreSQL.org website listing TODO items that newbie
> hackers can get stuck into?

If there were such places then everyone would be working there and soon
there wouldn't be anything left to do there. ;-)

Traditionally, people work on things that they personally like to see
improved.  Reading the mailing lists will point out areas that are
currently little maintained, and also things that people often complain
about but which are not easy to fix.

Date:
> > Why not start with Thomas Swan's earlier posting?:
>
>     Because  first, exactly that would require a good concept and
>     (at least I expect it to) a fair  amount  of  system  catalog
>     changes - not the best *newbe* starter.
>
>     I  like  the  idea  though.  Let  the  experienced developers
>     identify *legwork* TODO items.

From what I can see - there are none.  It took me months of reading the
PostgreSQL source code before I could muck with it.  (And I still just did
it for fun!)  Even the 'basic' stuff like psql and pg_dump modifications
require a knowledge of how foreign keys are stored...

Chris

Re: place for newbie postgresql hackers to work

Date:
> >     I  like  the  idea  though.  Let  the  experienced developers
> >     identify *legwork* TODO items.
>
> From what I can see - there are none.  It took me months of reading the
> PostgreSQL source code before I could muck with it.  (And I still just did
> it for fun!)  Even the 'basic' stuff like psql and pg_dump modifications
> require a knowledge of how foreign keys are stored...

Good point.  Many of the trivial changes spin into difficult territory.
We can suggest items if people ask us.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: place for newbie postgresql hackers to work

From
"James Buchanan"
Date:
PostgreSQL Hackers,

I would like to ask, where can newbie hackers (apprentices) be of use in the
pgsql project?

Thanks Bruce for that work you did showing the TCP/IP diagramme, etc... I
did learn something! Now, the task of self learning from there. For the
server, how to learn the format of PGSQL files? How is data stored? How is
it retrieved so darn quickly? How are index files constructed? So much
glorious knowledge to be had. Source code: start with [...................]
C code file and branch out from there. Please fill in the blanks for me? I
need the start to discover for myself. Learning how to fish is better than
being handed a fish.

With Thanks,
James