RE: Request for 7.0 JDBC status

From
Peter Mount
Date:
Yes, the README does need updating. CHANGELOG should be up to date. If
not, I'll have to re-commit it.

I'm hoping to have the next three evenings free...

Peter

--
Peter Mount
Enterprise Support
Maidstone Borough Council

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Lockhart [mailto:lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 6:16 AM
To: Lamar Owen; Bruce Momjian; PostgreSQL-development;
PostgreSQL-interfaces; peter@retep.org.uk
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Request for 7.0 JDBC status

> otoh, how close are you Peter (hope you see this; I've blown away
> enough email to have lost your address) to posting a built jar file or
> whatever is usually provided? Should we post this somewhere on
> postgresql.org to help out? Should I post my recently built stuff?

Ah, found Peter's e-mail address in an obvious place (the jdbc source
tree).

Another question for Peter: would it be possible to update the README
file in the source tree, and other ancillary files? I know you've been
very busy, but even a brief fixup to adjust dates and version numbers
would be helpful for 7.0.
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: Request for 7.0 JDBC status

Date:
> Yes, the README does need updating. CHANGELOG should be up to date. If
> not, I'll have to re-commit it.
>
> I'm hoping to have the next three evenings free...

Not to bug you Peter, but 7.0 may not wait three days before release.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Request for 7.0 JDBC status

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Not to bug you Peter, but 7.0 may not wait three days before release.

I would vote that this is important enough that it should wait, but no
one has raised the issue until now so we haven't discussed it. The
docs may or may not be completed within the next day (still jet-lagged
from vacation, but waking up at 3am does leave some extra time in the
morning, eh?), and if they stretch an extra day which is certainly
possible then we are only talking about an extra day for this. No big
deal in the grand scheme of things...

Peter, is there some testing that could/should be done with the new
driver (by others) in the meantime, or is it pretty likely to be
reasonably hashed out?
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: Request for 7.0 JDBC status

Date:
>> Not to bug you Peter, but 7.0 may not wait three days before release.

> I would vote that this is important enough that it should wait, but no
> one has raised the issue until now so we haven't discussed it.

My two cents: I wouldn't object to postponing release a day or so for
it, *but* if what we're getting is an un-beta-tested driver then my
level of enthusiasm drops considerably.  I'd rather say "it'll get
fixed in 7.0.1, after a decent testing interval for the new driver".

Relevant question: how well does the JDBC code that's in CVS now
work with 7.0?  If the answer is "hardly at all" then a new driver
is probably better even if it has lurking bugs.  If the answer is
"pretty well" then again I'd be inclined to ship what we've got.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Request for 7.0 JDBC status

From
Don Baccus
Date:
At 12:02 PM 5/2/00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

>Relevant question: how well does the JDBC code that's in CVS now
>work with 7.0?  If the answer is "hardly at all" then a new driver
>is probably better even if it has lurking bugs.  If the answer is
>"pretty well" then again I'd be inclined to ship what we've got.

One of our OpenACS (until recently ACS/pg) crew has gotten the
ArsDigita webmail software running with PG7.0 and JDBC, apparently
without problems.

I don't know which beta he's running, though...

Re: Request for 7.0 JDBC status

Date:
> Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:
> >> Not to bug you Peter, but 7.0 may not wait three days before release.
>
> > I would vote that this is important enough that it should wait, but no
> > one has raised the issue until now so we haven't discussed it.
>
> My two cents: I wouldn't object to postponing release a day or so for
> it, *but* if what we're getting is an un-beta-tested driver then my
> level of enthusiasm drops considerably.  I'd rather say "it'll get
> fixed in 7.0.1, after a decent testing interval for the new driver".
>
> Relevant question: how well does the JDBC code that's in CVS now
> work with 7.0?  If the answer is "hardly at all" then a new driver
> is probably better even if it has lurking bugs.  If the answer is
> "pretty well" then again I'd be inclined to ship what we've got.

As far as I know, no one has it yet, except Thomas.  The driver must
have a domain of org.postgresql or it is the old version.  Only since I
installed Peter's Makefile last week did it become install-able.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Request for 7.0 JDBC status

Date:
>> Relevant question: how well does the JDBC code that's in CVS now
>> work with 7.0?  If the answer is "hardly at all" then a new driver
>> is probably better even if it has lurking bugs.  If the answer is
>> "pretty well" then again I'd be inclined to ship what we've got.

> As far as I know, no one has it yet, except Thomas.  The driver must
> have a domain of org.postgresql or it is the old version.  Only since I
> installed Peter's Makefile last week did it become install-able.

So the version currently in CVS has seen hardly any testing either?
Man, you really know how to make a guy feel comfortable :-(

Given that, we might as well let Peter have the extra day or two
to bring the CVS version to the best state he can.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Request for 7.0 JDBC status

Date:
> >> Relevant question: how well does the JDBC code that's in CVS now
> >> work with 7.0?  If the answer is "hardly at all" then a new driver
> >> is probably better even if it has lurking bugs.  If the answer is
> >> "pretty well" then again I'd be inclined to ship what we've got.
>
> > As far as I know, no one has it yet, except Thomas.  The driver must
> > have a domain of org.postgresql or it is the old version.  Only since I
> > installed Peter's Makefile last week did it become install-able.
>
> So the version currently in CVS has seen hardly any testing either?
> Man, you really know how to make a guy feel comfortable :-(

Up to then, it was using the code in postgresql.  Now it is using
org/postgresql directory, and they are different.  postgresql is the
6.5.* driver, and org/postgresql is the 7.0 driver.

> Given that, we might as well let Peter have the extra day or two
> to bring the CVS version to the best state he can.

Yea, it had that effect on me too.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Request for 7.0 JDBC status

From
Thomas Lockhart
> My two cents: I wouldn't object to postponing release a day or so for
> it, *but* if what we're getting is an un-beta-tested driver then my
> level of enthusiasm drops considerably.  I'd rather say "it'll get
> fixed in 7.0.1, after a decent testing interval for the new driver".

Both versions of JDBC are in the Postgres source code tree. The newer
version has more standard conventions for Java namespaces (right
term??) and improvements in conformance to later versions of the JDBC
spec.

Basically the stuff is there already, and we just have a few file
updates to get it finalized. I'd be suprised if it is not ready by the
weekend, so it shouldn't be much of an issue.
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California