Happy column dropping

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
With caveats, it is now possible to drop columns from tables.

The implementation is based on copying the old table to a new one minus
the specified column. This procedure changes the oids of everyone
involved, so I was wondering if
a) this is a good reason to tell people to stop using oids as keys, or
b) if there is some way to keep the oids on both the records and the
pg_class entry.

Is it possible/safe to specify an oid to heap_insert (like tuple->...->oid
= x) if the oid is still in use (in the old table), or would a
heap_delete({from old table}) plus heap_insert({into new table}) work.

Is it possible/safe to change to oid of the new pg_class entry back to the
old one? In that case the trouble of moving over all the constraints, etc.
would be half the work.

Speaking of which, the current implementation loses all constraints,
triggers, rules, comments, etc. (not defaults and notnulls
though). Therefore
1) did I forget anything in the above list
2) how do I find out if the dropped column is referenced in a constraint,
trigger, rule (this is necessary for a correct RESTRICT/CASCADE
implementation)
3) once again, is it possible/safe to do the equivalent of update pg_class
set oid=old where oid=new to save this work?

Oh, btw., heaven help you if you try this on tables that are inherited
from.

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
Did I miss a discussion here on implementing this, and how?  Sounds to me
like a week and a bit before planned beta, an *incomplete* feature has
been shoved into the source tree with zero forewarning or discussion ...

Okay, my turn here ... I vote for this to be *reverted*!!

On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> With caveats, it is now possible to drop columns from tables.
>
> The implementation is based on copying the old table to a new one minus
> the specified column. This procedure changes the oids of everyone
> involved, so I was wondering if
> a) this is a good reason to tell people to stop using oids as keys, or
> b) if there is some way to keep the oids on both the records and the
> pg_class entry.
>
> Is it possible/safe to specify an oid to heap_insert (like tuple->...->oid
> = x) if the oid is still in use (in the old table), or would a
> heap_delete({from old table}) plus heap_insert({into new table}) work.
>
> Is it possible/safe to change to oid of the new pg_class entry back to the
> old one? In that case the trouble of moving over all the constraints, etc.
> would be half the work.
>
> Speaking of which, the current implementation loses all constraints,
> triggers, rules, comments, etc. (not defaults and notnulls
> though). Therefore
> 1) did I forget anything in the above list
> 2) how do I find out if the dropped column is referenced in a constraint,
> trigger, rule (this is necessary for a correct RESTRICT/CASCADE
> implementation)
> 3) once again, is it possible/safe to do the equivalent of update pg_class
> set oid=old where oid=new to save this work?
>
> Oh, btw., heaven help you if you try this on tables that are inherited
> from.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut                  Sernanders v�g 10:115
> peter_e@gmx.net                   75262 Uppsala
> http://yi.org/peter-e/            Sweden
>

> ************

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

Date:
> Did I miss a discussion here on implementing this, and how?  Sounds to me
> like a week and a bit before planned beta, an *incomplete* feature has
> been shoved into the source tree with zero forewarning or discussion ...
>
> Okay, my turn here ... I vote for this to be *reverted*!!

I disagree.  First, it is on the TODO list, so it is open game.  Second
it is not throughout all the code, it only gets activated if someone
executes the command.  Third, I don't know of any time limit that
features have to be implemented a certain number of weeks _before_ beta
starts.

Everyone asks for this, and if it does only %70 of the job, that is fine
as long as the manual page says so.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

Date:
>> Okay, my turn here ... I vote for this to be *reverted*!!

> I disagree.  First, it is on the TODO list, so it is open game.  Second
> it is not throughout all the code, it only gets activated if someone
> executes the command.  Third, I don't know of any time limit that
> features have to be implemented a certain number of weeks _before_ beta
> starts.

I agree with Bruce.  There's no risk of this breaking anything else,
AFAICT, so if it doesn't work there's no harm done.  I hope Peter is
going to clean it up more before beta, but why shouldn't he push out
what he has for review and criticism?

I'm busy committing changes in areas that are considerably more critical
than this is, so if the rule is going to be "no risk taken for N weeks
*before* beta", better tell me about it...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

Date:
> With caveats, it is now possible to drop columns from tables.
>
> The implementation is based on copying the old table to a new one minus
> the specified column. This procedure changes the oids of everyone
> involved, so I was wondering if
> a) this is a good reason to tell people to stop using oids as keys, or
> b) if there is some way to keep the oids on both the records and the
> pg_class entry.

Actually CLUSTER has the same problem, I think.  It may be even worse
because it drops all indexes.  Can you take a look at that code too.
Some people have reported problems with it, while others are OK.  There
is a cluster TODO mail file in the source tree.  It shows an actual bug
that still exists, plus some other issues with cluster.

Not sure how to deal with this.  I think our whole OID system is messed
up because you can't update the OID column in a table.  That is very
limiting, and some commands like cluster lose oids.  I think we need a
full OID discussion on how to move forward with them.

Why not allow heap_insert to receive the oid as a parameter.  It may
help with cluster too.  Seems like a great idea!

> Is it possible/safe to change to oid of the new pg_class entry back to the
> old one? In that case the trouble of moving over all the constraints, etc.
> would be half the work.

I don't know.  I don't see any reason we can't handle that.

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> Okay, my turn here ... I vote for this to be *reverted*!!
>
> > I disagree.  First, it is on the TODO list, so it is open game.  Second
> > it is not throughout all the code, it only gets activated if someone
> > executes the command.  Third, I don't know of any time limit that
> > features have to be implemented a certain number of weeks _before_ beta
> > starts.
>
> I agree with Bruce.  There's no risk of this breaking anything else,
> AFAICT, so if it doesn't work there's no harm done.  I hope Peter is
> going to clean it up more before beta, but why shouldn't he push out
> what he has for review and criticism?

Why didn't I just take Alfred's stuff and shove it into the source tree
and let the bricks fall where they may?  As far as I am/was concerned, the
ramifications of the changes were so great that *some* discussion should
have happened before hand ...

I'm one of those that would love to have an ALTER TABLE ... DROP COLUMN
implementation, but how many applications will get broken because OID are
no longer retained?  If it had been brought up and discussed before being
thrown in, like everyone else has done in the past, maybe a better
solution could have presented itself ...

> I'm busy committing changes in areas that are considerably more critical
> than this is, so if the rule is going to be "no risk taken for N weeks
> *before* beta", better tell me about it...

Its not the *risk* that bothers me, its the lack of discussions ... IMHO,
he should have brought up the "I'm in the process of toasting the reliance
on OIDs" topic *before* implementing it ... give other ppl a chance to
possibly present alternatives ...

Date:
> [Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > With caveats, it is now possible to drop columns from tables.
> >
> > The implementation is based on copying the old table to a new one minus
> > the specified column. This procedure changes the oids of everyone
> > involved, so I was wondering if
> > a) this is a good reason to tell people to stop using oids as keys, or
> > b) if there is some way to keep the oids on both the records and the
> > pg_class entry.
>
> Actually CLUSTER has the same problem, I think.  It may be even worse
> because it drops all indexes.  Can you take a look at that code too.
> Some people have reported problems with it, while others are OK.  There
> is a cluster TODO mail file in the source tree.  It shows an actual bug
> that still exists, plus some other issues with cluster.

I wonder if we should throw out a NOTICE when we drop some
characteristic of a table?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

Date:
> With caveats, it is now possible to drop columns from tables.
> The implementation is based on copying the old table to a new one minus
> the specified column. This procedure changes the oids of everyone
> involved, so I was wondering if
> a) this is a good reason to tell people to stop using oids as keys,

AFAIK there is nothing particularly magic about OIDs.  You could
perfectly well create the new table with the same OIDs as are in the
old table (see COPY WITH OIDS if you are wondering how).

User-level stuff like referential integrity triggers might get unhappy,
but you're not going to let triggers see what you're doing, right ;-) ?

> Is it possible/safe to change to oid of the new pg_class entry back to the
> old one? In that case the trouble of moving over all the constraints, etc.
> would be half the work.

Wrong way to think about it.  You should be doing a heap_update of the
catalog tuples that need to change, ISTM.

You could almost get away with doing it like you describe, except that
there is a unique index on pg_class OIDs these days (right, Bruce?)
and that index will kick out an error.  But heap_update on the original
table tuple will work.

I think what we may want here is something comparable to what's been
discussed recently for VACUUM: build the new table as a new heap file
and then rename the physical file into place, without really doing
anything to the pg_class tuple --- except of course you'd need to
heap_update it to adjust the number-of-attributes field.

> 2) how do I find out if the dropped column is referenced in a constraint,
> trigger, rule (this is necessary for a correct RESTRICT/CASCADE
> implementation)

Actually it's worse than that: you need to be prepared to renumber the
columns after the dropped one, too.  Probably what you will need to do
is read in and deparse all the relevant rules and triggers, then reparse
them against the updated table schema.  Ugly.  And no, I have no idea
how you even *find* all the relevant rules.  (Jan?)

> Oh, btw., heaven help you if you try this on tables that are inherited
> from.

The whole thing should be done inside a recursive routine that applies
the same change to all children of the target table.  See ALTER TABLE
ADD COLUMN for an example.  (ADD COLUMN is pretty broken too, since it
doesn't preserve consistency of column numbering across child tables ---
want to reimplement it in this same style?)
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

From
Don Baccus
Date:
At 10:27 PM 1/22/00 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Did I miss a discussion here on implementing this, and how?  Sounds to me
>> like a week and a bit before planned beta, an *incomplete* feature has
>> been shoved into the source tree with zero forewarning or discussion ...
>>
>> Okay, my turn here ... I vote for this to be *reverted*!!
>
>I disagree.  First, it is on the TODO list, so it is open game.  Second
>it is not throughout all the code, it only gets activated if someone
>executes the command.  Third, I don't know of any time limit that
>features have to be implemented a certain number of weeks _before_ beta
>starts.
>
>Everyone asks for this, and if it does only %70 of the job, that is fine
>as long as the manual page says so.

I'm sorry, but his current hack results in silent failures.

Personally, I think he should've asked for answers to his questions
first - i.e., how do you find out which relations are subject to
foreign key restraints (implemented via triggers)?

Allowing one to drop columns with silent failure is hardly the
hallmark of a professional piece of software.  What has impressed me
about the Postgres effort in the year that I've been tracking it (though
sadly not contributing to it), has been the concentration on professional
implementation of features, and the concentration on improving stability
and reliability.

"copy to a table, drop the column, copy back" - heck, I could do that
with a script file to be fed into psql.  An internal implementation has
to be far better to be considered a piece of a professional RDBMS, I'm
afraid.

I'm not saying that this isn't the proper basis for the feature, only
that sure, that's easy to do internally or externally, and that isn't
the problem.

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

Date:
> I wonder if we should throw out a NOTICE when we drop some
> characteristic of a table?

The problem is mostly that the code doesn't even *know* that it's
dropping data.  If we add code to find the info that's getting lost,
it's probably little more work to add code to copy it.

I'm of two minds about this.  Peter is an energetic new contributor
and we'd be really foolish to discourage him (I was there not very
long ago myself).  And a limited DROP COLUMN capability is better
than none at all, so long as its limitations are well-documented.

OTOH, I understand Don Baccus' concern: Postgres is on the cusp of
being considered professional-grade software --- we are competing
against multi-K-dollar commercial offerings --- and we jeopardize
that perception if we add features that are less than fully baked.
This is definitely in the 50%-baked category...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On 23-Jan-00 Tom Lane wrote:
>> I wonder if we should throw out a NOTICE when we drop some
>> characteristic of a table?
>
> The problem is mostly that the code doesn't even *know* that it's
> dropping data.  If we add code to find the info that's getting lost,
> it's probably little more work to add code to copy it.
>
> I'm of two minds about this.  Peter is an energetic new contributor
> and we'd be really foolish to discourage him (I was there not very
> long ago myself).  And a limited DROP COLUMN capability is better
> than none at all, so long as its limitations are well-documented.
>
> OTOH, I understand Don Baccus' concern: Postgres is on the cusp of
> being considered professional-grade software --- we are competing
> against multi-K-dollar commercial offerings --- and we jeopardize
> that perception if we add features that are less than fully baked.
> This is definitely in the 50%-baked category...

So why not    ./configure --enable-experimental

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net  128K ISDN: $24.95/mo or less - 56K Dialup:
$17.95/moor less at Pop4       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop
Superstore   http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Date:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> > I wonder if we should throw out a NOTICE when we drop some
> > characteristic of a table?
>
> The problem is mostly that the code doesn't even *know* that it's
> dropping data.  If we add code to find the info that's getting lost,
> it's probably little more work to add code to copy it.
>
> I'm of two minds about this.  Peter is an energetic new contributor
> and we'd be really foolish to discourage him (I was there not very
> long ago myself).  And a limited DROP COLUMN capability is better
> than none at all, so long as its limitations are well-documented.

IMHO, put out a BIG NOTICE if someone issues the DROP COLUMN command:

Do not expect your table to look like what you used to have!!

This has nothing to do with discouraging a contributor ... this has to do
with maintaining QA through peer-review ... it would have taken Peter *as
long* to send his note out 24hrs *before* commiting the changes and would
have at least spur'd on a possible discussion of a better way of dealign
with the whole OID situation ...

Look at the last major patch we threw in from Alfred ... he posted and
asked for comments ... Tom, I believe it was you that send back a few
concerns ... he addressed them and posted for review a *second* time
before we committed it.  After committing, we found a bug ... someone else
wanted to revert that patch, but *at that point* it would have been
inappropriate to do, since it had been reviewed twice and considered good
for inclusion ... if Alfred couldn't have fixed the problem adequately
after a few days, okay, then revert it, but at least give him a chance to
fix that which he wrought ...

In Peter's case, there was no review ... just slap it in and pray ;(

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

RE: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

From
"Hiroshi Inoue"
> >> Okay, my turn here ... I vote for this to be *reverted*!!
>
> > I disagree.  First, it is on the TODO list, so it is open game.  Second
> > it is not throughout all the code, it only gets activated if someone
> > executes the command.  Third, I don't know of any time limit that
> > features have to be implemented a certain number of weeks _before_ beta
> > starts.
>
> I agree with Bruce.  There's no risk of this breaking anything else,
> AFAICT, so if it doesn't work there's no harm done.  I hope Peter is
> going to clean it up more before beta, but why shouldn't he push out
> what he has for review and criticism?

I agree with Marc.
DROP COLUMN feature should be discussed before implementing it.

We can live without DROP COLUMN feature.
All we have to do is to ignore the column.
Why should we have a complicated implementation for the feature
without any discussion ?

Anyway I have 2 basic questions.

1) Is the * 2x disk usage *  implementation really needed ?
2) Why rename() ?   I don't trust rename() at all in transaction control.   The first thing we should do it to change
relname-> relation file   name mapping in order to avoid calling rename().

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp

Date:
At 12:27 AM 1/23/00 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

>I'm of two minds about this.  Peter is an energetic new contributor
>and we'd be really foolish to discourage him (I was there not very
>long ago myself).  And a limited DROP COLUMN capability is better
>than none at all, so long as its limitations are well-documented.
>
>OTOH, I understand Don Baccus' concern: Postgres is on the cusp of
>being considered professional-grade software --- we are competing
>against multi-K-dollar commercial offerings --- and we jeopardize
>that perception if we add features that are less than fully baked.
>This is definitely in the 50%-baked category...

I certainly don't want to discourage Peter, either, and perhaps
was a bit too harsh.  But release of a feature this half-baked
would fit the stereotype many people have held towards free,
open source software, and postgres in particular.

IMHO, of course.

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
Don Baccus wrote:

> At 12:27 AM 1/23/00 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >I'm of two minds about this.  Peter is an energetic new contributor
> >and we'd be really foolish to discourage him (I was there not very
> >long ago myself).  And a limited DROP COLUMN capability is better
> >than none at all, so long as its limitations are well-documented.
> >
> >OTOH, I understand Don Baccus' concern: Postgres is on the cusp of
> >being considered professional-grade software --- we are competing
> >against multi-K-dollar commercial offerings --- and we jeopardize
> >that perception if we add features that are less than fully baked.
> >This is definitely in the 50%-baked category...
>
> I certainly don't want to discourage Peter, either, and perhaps
> was a bit too harsh.  But release of a feature this half-baked

Putting something in a development tree can hardly be called a "release"
I'm sure many people would appreciate it even without "preserving oid-s"
as OID's are declared deprecated for (AFAIK) >2 years, and they don't give
any real advantage over primary key with default nextval, as there are
currently no means for reasonably getting from oid to record.

I agree that it could be #ifedef'ed or usable only when you do:
set TerribleDropColumnCludge to 'ON';

> would fit the stereotype many people have held towards free,
> open source software, and postgres in particular.

What keeps us from discussing the implementation _now_ that we have something
to discuss. Much of the success of open source software comes from the
"show me the code" mentality - you discuss what you have, not what you might
do.

The current "(UN)Happy column dropping" discussion, frankly seems to stem much
from jealousy - hands off my tree, we allow only _purfect_ contributions.

OTOH there are several existing features in postgresql you would not
expect, unless you have worked with postgresql for many years and read
most of traffic on hackers list (like running out of almost all resources
doing a seemingly innocent query (or having it done for you by a "smart"
application), or lack of most common-sense "convenience" optimisations,
like using index for max(), or being able to _partially_ rollback DDL
statements.

Nobody has demanded removing ORs (or even the optimiser ;)) from postgres
because they can explode the backend.

So IMHO discouraging small usability improvements is wrong.

> IMHO, of course.

Sure

--------------------
Hannu

Date:
At 08:53 PM 1/23/00 +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:

>What keeps us from discussing the implementation _now_ that we have
something
>to discuss.

Nothing.  The argument is simply that perhaps discussion should come FIRST.

> Much of the success of open source software comes from the
>"show me the code" mentality - you discuss what you have, not what you might
>do.

I see a lot of pre-implementation discussion on this group.  For instance,
recently there was public discussion of "TOAST" large data types.  Details
were ironed out, now Jan will go implement it when he has time.

Likewise his approach to implementing referential integrity was discussed
here beforehand.

Just today, we're seeing discussion of the implementation of a new
stddev aggregate function.

I think this is a good process to follow.

>The current "(UN)Happy column dropping" discussion, frankly seems to stem
much
>from jealousy - hands off my tree, we allow only _purfect_ contributions.

Are you suggesting that the goal should be anything less than perfection?

I guess this goes to my argument that Postgres is starting to be regarded
as a potential competitor to expensive commercial DBs in certain application
environments.  If the bar is lowered for contributions, Postgres will
quickly re-earn the image of flakiness that the current developers have
worked so hard to shed.

>OTOH there are several existing features in postgresql you would not
>expect, unless you have worked with postgresql for many years and read
>most of traffic on hackers list (like running out of almost all resources
>doing a seemingly innocent query (or having it done for you by a "smart"
>application), or lack of most common-sense "convenience" optimisations,
>like using index for max(), or being able to _partially_ rollback DDL
>statements.
>
>Nobody has demanded removing ORs (or even the optimiser ;)) from postgres
>because they can explode the backend.

No ... but fixing ORs seems to be on the list of things to be done.

Pointing to the fact that the inherited code still needs a lot of work
before it's really a solid, commercial-quality database engine in all
regards doesn't convince me that weak implementations of new features
should be added.

My impression is that the current crop of developers are aiming higher...

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

Date:
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> The current "(UN)Happy column dropping" discussion, frankly seems to
> stem much from jealousy - hands off my tree, we allow only _purfect_
> contributions.

I think this discussion could do without personal attacks, don't you?

> OTOH there are several existing features in postgresql you would not
> expect, unless you have worked with postgresql for many years and read
> most of traffic on hackers list (like running out of almost all resources
> doing a seemingly innocent query (or having it done for you by a "smart"
> application), or lack of most common-sense "convenience" optimisations,
> like using index for max(), or being able to _partially_ rollback DDL
> statements.

I see it considerably differently.  Quite a few of us have been sweating
blood for a long time to clean up those past half-baked implementation
decisions.  We're all well aware that the list of those problems is
still very long.  Should we be happy about the addition of another such
problem?

I've been generally in favor of letting Peter continue with this
process, but that's only because I expect him to be here for the long
haul and to work on refining his first cut into a robust feature.
If he stops here and leaves it for other folks to clean up, then I'd
vote to remove it as well.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

Date:
> I certainly don't want to discourage Peter, either, and perhaps
> was a bit too harsh.  But release of a feature this half-baked
> would fit the stereotype many people have held towards free,
> open source software, and postgres in particular.

I again am totally confused by the reaction to this.

Peter has done a lot for 7.0.  Only Tom Lane and Jan have done more work
on 7.0 than Peter.  He has also fixed many TODO items from the list.

We is not releasing tomorrow.  He is putting in what he has and asking
for advise.  Yes, it would have been better if he would have discussed
this first.  However, he is writing _huge_ amounts of PostgreSQL code.
Look at the new psql or initdb, or the other items he has done.  Maybe
he is too busy coding to bring up issues on the list.

As long as he addresses concerns we have, I can live with some
non-perfect code.  He is relatively new to this.  Honestly, only Tom
Lane and Jan are as energetic about 7.0 as Peter, so why rock the boat.

That doesn't mean I accept bad code, only that I am patient with
people's styles.

I can't remember the last time we all were so harsh, and I am concerned.

Let me see if I can say something everyone will agree on:

First, Peter, I hope you have not gotten too upset while reading the

Second, I know you asked for suggestions while working on psql, and
really didn't get much feedback.  You did a great job without much
direction.  Let me suggest you not give up on us helping you in other
projects.  If you get stuck or need a suggestion, just send a note to
hackers, and we can give you ideas.  Often this will make your job
easier.

Actually, when I get stuck, I post to the list and put the project down
for a few hours.  An answer to my question usually shows up very soon.
In the old days, I used to ask over and over again as I learned more
about the problem until someone figured it out.  :-)

I am thinking of calling 7.0 the Lane/Wieck/Eisentraut release.

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
At 02:43 PM 1/23/00 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> I certainly don't want to discourage Peter, either, and perhaps
>> was a bit too harsh.  But release of a feature this half-baked
>> would fit the stereotype many people have held towards free,
>> open source software, and postgres in particular.

>I again am totally confused by the reaction to this.

>Peter has done a lot for 7.0.  Only Tom Lane and Jan have done more work
>on 7.0 than Peter.  He has also fixed many TODO items from the list.

Yes, and that's great.  I'm not commenting about those things, though.
Though I have to say, having just finally built the pre-7.0 sources,
I like the new psql formatting.

That doesn't mean I have to like an "alter ... drop column" that doesn't
really implement "alter ... drop column", though, does it? :)

>We is not releasing tomorrow.  He is putting in what he has and asking
>for advise.

Perhaps I'm suffering from a misperception, then...my understanding
was that his having committed the changes meant they would be showing
up in the upcoming V7.0 Beta release.

> Yes, it would have been better if he would have discussed
>this first.  However, he is writing _huge_ amounts of PostgreSQL code.
>Look at the new psql or initdb, or the other items he has done.  Maybe
>he is too busy coding to bring up issues on the list.

>As long as he addresses concerns we have, I can live with some
>non-perfect code.  He is relatively new to this.  Honestly, only Tom
>Lane and Jan are as energetic about 7.0 as Peter, so why rock the boat.

This sounds a bit like the old management technique of measuring
productivity by counting lines of code!  I should hope quality counts
for even more than quantity.  Shouldn't it?

(and, no, I'm not implying that Peter's contributions are of poor
quality, I'm just reacting to your point)

Date:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> The current "(UN)Happy column dropping" discussion, frankly seems to
> stem much from jealousy - hands off my tree, we allow only _purfect_
> contributions.

I don't expect any contribution to be perfect ... I do expect those that
are committing code directly to the source tree to take a few minutes and
think before they do so.  Peter *knew* there were implementation flaws to
what he added, yet he implemented it anyway, without asking anyone else
for comments and/or suggestions on how those flaws could be avoided ... if
Peter didn't have commit access, he would have had to submit those patches
for review before having them applied, just like Alfred recently went
through with his libpq changes ...

> OTOH there are several existing features in postgresql you would not
> expect, unless you have worked with postgresql for many years and read
> most of traffic on hackers list (like running out of almost all
> resources doing a seemingly innocent query (or having it done for you
> by a "smart"  application), or lack of most common-sense "convenience"
> optimisations, like using index for max(), or being able to
> _partially_ rollback DDL statements.

Ah, but, in these cases, they lack of don't break existing applications
*and* the running out of all resources definitely isn't "hidden" in the
background, you find out about it quick ...

The beef I have with how Peter went about implementing this was that the
biggest flaw that he lists is *hidden* in the background ...

> Nobody has demanded removing ORs (or even the optimiser ;)) from
> postgres because they can explode the backend.

It is because they explode the backend that we don't ... what Peter
implemented silently tromps on the OIDs ...

> So IMHO discouraging small usability improvements is wrong.

Ppl are missing the whole point here ... it isn't the improvement that I
have a beef against, it is the fact that, unlike every other feature
addition (bug fixes are different), there was absolutely no discussion
before implementation ... hell, if the implementation didn't come with a
"caveat" afterwards, it wouldn't have been so bad, but Peter commit'd a
"small usability improvement" followed up by what *I* consider to be one
helluva caveat, without any discussion on how to get around that before
committing ... that, IMHO, is wrong ...

Date:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Don Baccus wrote:

> I guess this goes to my argument that Postgres is starting to be
> regarded as a potential competitor to expensive commercial DBs in
> certain application environments.  If the bar is lowered for
> contributions, Postgres will quickly re-earn the image of flakiness
> that the current developers have worked so hard to shed.

I'm not so much beef'd about 'lowering any bar', I'm beef'd that the bar
apparently is being set at different hits for contributors vs committers

Date:
> At 02:43 PM 1/23/00 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> I certainly don't want to discourage Peter, either, and perhaps
> >> was a bit too harsh.  But release of a feature this half-baked
> >> would fit the stereotype many people have held towards free,
> >> open source software, and postgres in particular.
>
> >I again am totally confused by the reaction to this.
>
> >Peter has done a lot for 7.0.  Only Tom Lane and Jan have done more work
> >on 7.0 than Peter.  He has also fixed many TODO items from the list.
>
> Yes, and that's great.  I'm not commenting about those things, though.
> Though I have to say, having just finally built the pre-7.0 sources,
> I like the new psql formatting.
>
> That doesn't mean I have to like an "alter ... drop column" that doesn't
> really implement "alter ... drop column", though, does it? :)

But is this really a bad thing.  I think it is acceptible as is.  We
currently tell people in the FAQ that do drop a column, do a SELECT INTO
... ALTER RENAME.  That loses more than Peter's version.

> >We is not releasing tomorrow.  He is putting in what he has and asking
> >for advise.
>
> Perhaps I'm suffering from a misperception, then...my understanding
> was that his having committed the changes meant they would be showing
> up in the upcoming V7.0 Beta release.

Well, my assumption is that either Peter will add the missing
functionality, or we will vote on whether to enable/disable it in 7.0.
One line in gram.y and it is disabled.

I can tell you that I certainly will vote for it as enabled, even with
the limitations, because CLUSTER has a bigger problem.  Maybe we just
add a NOTICE to CLUSTER and DROP COLUMN and be done with it.

I can also say I would never have thought about the items Peter asked
about.  I would have just implemented it as he did and maybe never even
considered the limitations.

> > Yes, it would have been better if he would have discussed
> >this first.  However, he is writing _huge_ amounts of PostgreSQL code.
> >Look at the new psql or initdb, or the other items he has done.  Maybe
> >he is too busy coding to bring up issues on the list.
>
> >As long as he addresses concerns we have, I can live with some
> >non-perfect code.  He is relatively new to this.  Honestly, only Tom
> >Lane and Jan are as energetic about 7.0 as Peter, so why rock the boat.
>
> This sounds a bit like the old management technique of measuring
> productivity by counting lines of code!  I should hope quality counts
> for even more than quantity.  Shouldn't it?
>
> (and, no, I'm not implying that Peter's contributions are of poor
> quality, I'm just reacting to your point)

When I say huge amount of code, I mean huge rewrites of terriblily
unstuctured code into nice neat code.  Look at the new psql vs. the old
code.

We can't expect people to just walk up and produce portable,
style-conforming, totally functional code from day 1 or even year 1.
We work with people and point them in the right direction.

You know why ANALYZE is part of VACUUM?  Because at the time I didn't
know how to scan a table.  Vacuum already did that, so I piggybacked on
that code.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

Date:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Hannu Krosing wrote:
>
> > The current "(UN)Happy column dropping" discussion, frankly seems to
> > stem much from jealousy - hands off my tree, we allow only _purfect_
> > contributions.
>
> I don't expect any contribution to be perfect ... I do expect those that
> are committing code directly to the source tree to take a few minutes and
> think before they do so.  Peter *knew* there were implementation flaws to
> what he added, yet he implemented it anyway, without asking anyone else
> for comments and/or suggestions on how those flaws could be avoided ... if
> Peter didn't have commit access, he would have had to submit those patches
> for review before having them applied, just like Alfred recently went
> through with his libpq changes ...

But he is not done.  What does it matter if he does 1/2 now and 1/2 in a
week, as long as it is done before beta?  As long as the tree still
compiles, does it matter?

Let him fix 50 TODO items 1/2 way.  If he finishes them by beta, great.
If not, we can vote on a ripout/disable before beta begins.

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> You know why ANALYZE is part of VACUUM?  Because at the time I didn't
> know how to scan a table.  Vacuum already did that, so I piggybacked on
> that code.

Big difference ... what you did didn't run the risk of breaking existing
applications ... *maybe* there is no choice in this, *maybe* the way that
Peter implemented is  the only way it *could* be implemented ... all I'm
arguing is that there should have been a discussion *before* it was
implemented to hammer that point out ...

... just like we've done for the past 4 years now ...

Date:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> >
> > > The current "(UN)Happy column dropping" discussion, frankly seems to
> > > stem much from jealousy - hands off my tree, we allow only _purfect_
> > > contributions.
> >
> > I don't expect any contribution to be perfect ... I do expect those that
> > are committing code directly to the source tree to take a few minutes and
> > think before they do so.  Peter *knew* there were implementation flaws to
> > what he added, yet he implemented it anyway, without asking anyone else
> > for comments and/or suggestions on how those flaws could be avoided ... if
> > Peter didn't have commit access, he would have had to submit those patches
> > for review before having them applied, just like Alfred recently went
> > through with his libpq changes ...
>
> But he is not done.  What does it matter if he does 1/2 now and 1/2 in a
> week, as long as it is done before beta?  As long as the tree still
> compiles, does it matter?
>
> Let him fix 50 TODO items 1/2 way.  If he finishes them by beta, great.
> If not, we can vote on a ripout/disable before beta begins.

And if 5 of those 50 that he does finish rely on 45 that he doesn't?  I'm
just saying that 24hr of discussion before implementation might have come
up with a cleaner solution to the problem ...

Date:
> > But he is not done.  What does it matter if he does 1/2 now and 1/2 in a
> > week, as long as it is done before beta?  As long as the tree still
> > compiles, does it matter?
> >
> > Let him fix 50 TODO items 1/2 way.  If he finishes them by beta, great.
> > If not, we can vote on a ripout/disable before beta begins.
>
> And if 5 of those 50 that he does finish rely on 45 that he doesn't?  I'm
> just saying that 24hr of discussion before implementation might have come
> up with a cleaner solution to the problem ...

Sure, that is preferable.

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
At 03:18 PM 1/23/00 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> That doesn't mean I have to like an "alter ... drop column" that doesn't
>> really implement "alter ... drop column", though, does it? :)
>
>But is this really a bad thing.  I think it is acceptible as is.  We
>currently tell people in the FAQ that do drop a column, do a SELECT INTO
>... ALTER RENAME.  That loses more than Peter's version.

Again I'm missing not having Date here, I just called and it will
be mailed to me next week.

But I've been under the assumption that "alter table drop column" is
part of SQL 92.

If I'm wrong, then I suppose PostgreSQL can do whatever it wants.

If it is part of SQL 92, though, shouldn't there at least be discussion
of what's needed to actually implement the real, live standard semantics?

Isn't the user who picks up PostgreSQL from, say, a Red Hat distribution
going to be a bit surprised that "drop column" drops integrity constraints
for the whole table?

Assuming, of course, the feature as is were to go into release.

>I can also say I would never have thought about the items Peter asked
>about.  I would have just implemented it as he did and maybe never even
>considered the limitations.

Hmmm...if it's part of SQL 92 I certainly would've looked at the
defined semantics first.  At least, that's what people pay me to do
when I hack compilers...

>We can't expect people to just walk up and produce portable,
>style-conforming, totally functional code from day 1 or even year 1.
>We work with people and point them in the right direction.

And if I get organized to the point of being able to make contributions
I would hope for tough, objective criticism of my efforts.

>You know why ANALYZE is part of VACUUM?  Because at the time I didn't
>know how to scan a table.  Vacuum already did that, so I piggybacked on
>that code.

This doesn't break standard semantics - again, if I'm wrong about
alter table ... drop column being part of SQL 92 then I'll back off
the suggestion that an implementation of standard semantics be
explored.

Maybe we should just drop this thread, I'm certainly not out to make
any enemies.  I've become fond of Postgres, and I guess my expectations
and standards are just very high.  Not that I'm always able to live
up to them! :)

Date:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > But he is not done.  What does it matter if he does 1/2 now and 1/2 in a
> > > week, as long as it is done before beta?  As long as the tree still
> > > compiles, does it matter?
> > >
> > > Let him fix 50 TODO items 1/2 way.  If he finishes them by beta, great.
> > > If not, we can vote on a ripout/disable before beta begins.
> >
> > And if 5 of those 50 that he does finish rely on 45 that he doesn't?  I'm
> > just saying that 24hr of discussion before implementation might have come
> > up with a cleaner solution to the problem ...
>
> Sure, that is preferable.

*head pounding against a wall* that was my *whole* point :)

Date:
> Maybe we should just drop this thread, I'm certainly not out to make
> any enemies.  I've become fond of Postgres, and I guess my expectations
> and standards are just very high.  Not that I'm always able to live
> up to them! :)

It's like watching hot dogs or legislation being made.  You don't want
to watch.

We get everything working in the end.  It can be ugly getting there and
seeing all the warts along the way.

I think we are spoiled with Tom, Jan, and Vadim who just show up and
produce 100% functional patches the first time.  Some people go at it in
different ways.  Eventually it all gets working.  I can't tell you how
many times I have added a feature or fixed something, and then had Tom
Lane or Vadim come along and fix my fixes.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

Date:

> > > And if 5 of those 50 that he does finish rely on 45 that he doesn't?  I'm
> > > just saying that 24hr of discussion before implementation might have come
> > > up with a cleaner solution to the problem ...
> >
> > Sure, that is preferable.
>
> *head pounding against a wall* that was my *whole* point :)

Yes, but if wants to put what he has done so far, and then discuss it,
why give him grief about it?  Maybe that's how he likes to do things.

I tried to get Jan to assist Vince in the way CVS is used for the web
pages.  Vince was happy with his system and my interference in Vince's
system made for hurt feelings all around.

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
On 23-Jan-00 Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I tried to get Jan to assist Vince in the way CVS is used for the web
> pages.  Vince was happy with his system and my interference in Vince's
> system made for hurt feelings all around.

Water under the bridge.  Jan and I have down and had a few beers
together.

Date:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I think we are spoiled with Tom, Jan, and Vadim who just show up and
> produce 100% functional patches the first time.  Some people go at it in
> different ways.  Eventually it all gets working.  I can't tell you how
> many times I have added a feature or fixed something, and then had Tom
> Lane or Vadim come along and fix my fixes.

2 points:
a) 100% functional patches *after* extensive discussionb) Peter's change wasn't a fix

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

> On 23-Jan-00 Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I tried to get Jan to assist Vince in the way CVS is used for the web
> > pages.  Vince was happy with his system and my interference in Vince's
> > system made for hurt feelings all around.
>
> Water under the bridge.  Jan and I have down and had a few beers
> together.

Well, that's very good news.

Now, I guess I can ask abou the new developers page.  It would be nice
to have that for the start of Beta.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

Date:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I think we are spoiled with Tom, Jan, and Vadim who just show up and
> > produce 100% functional patches the first time.  Some people go at it in
> > different ways.  Eventually it all gets working.  I can't tell you how
> > many times I have added a feature or fixed something, and then had Tom
> > Lane or Vadim come along and fix my fixes.
>
> 2 points:
>
>     a) 100% functional patches *after* extensive discussion
>     b) Peter's change wasn't a fix

Usually some one cleans me up. :-)  Even with discussion, my stuff is
not 100%.

I did code to extend the number of index columns >8, but broke the
system in several ways.  Tom Lane fixed it for me.  I think I even
committed it with a broken initdb, but figured out how to disable it
while Tom and I worked on it.

Yes, but even my feature additions have problems.  :-)

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > I think we are spoiled with Tom, Jan, and Vadim who just show up and
> > > produce 100% functional patches the first time.  Some people go at it in
> > > different ways.  Eventually it all gets working.  I can't tell you how
> > > many times I have added a feature or fixed something, and then had Tom
> > > Lane or Vadim come along and fix my fixes.
> >
> > 2 points:
> >
> >     a) 100% functional patches *after* extensive discussion
> >     b) Peter's change wasn't a fix
>
> Usually some one cleans me up. :-)  Even with discussion, my stuff is
> not 100%.
>
> I did code to extend the number of index columns >8, but broke the
> system in several ways.  Tom Lane fixed it for me.  I think I even
> committed it with a broken initdb, but figured out how to disable it
> while Tom and I worked on it.
>
> Yes, but even my feature additions have problems.  :-)

There is a key factor involved in all of this ... how many of these
"bugs" were things that ppl would think about before it is
implemented?

Date:
> > Usually some one cleans me up. :-)  Even with discussion, my stuff is
> > not 100%.
> >
> > I did code to extend the number of index columns >8, but broke the
> > system in several ways.  Tom Lane fixed it for me.  I think I even
> > committed it with a broken initdb, but figured out how to disable it
> > while Tom and I worked on it.
> >
> > Yes, but even my feature additions have problems.  :-)
>
> There is a key factor involved in all of this ... how many of these
> "bugs" were things that ppl would think about before it is
> implemented?

No idea.  I just know I didn't think of them.

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I think we are spoiled with Tom, Jan, and Vadim who just show up and
> > produce 100% functional patches the first time.  Some people go at it in
> > different ways.  Eventually it all gets working.  I can't tell you how
> > many times I have added a feature or fixed something, and then had Tom
> > Lane or Vadim come along and fix my fixes.
>
> 2 points:
>
>         a) 100% functional patches *after* extensive discussion

It assumes that you do all your actual coding and code reviewing yourself
while hiding the code, i.e. the (alledged) *BSD way.

The "release often, release early" school of OS tells people to show even
premature code in hope of getting more/faster eyballing.

He could have done it by posting patches for discussion, but I can't see
the real difference here.

What I think he is doing here is one-to-one move the FAQ recommendation
for drop column to backend. And then move on from that to cover the areas
of renumbering colums and keeping related constraints intact the FAQ
glossed over.

It could possibly be done by marking the column deleted and doing the
compression/renumbering during vacuum , or by locking the table and
compressing each page in-place if space is a concern or maybe several
other ways.
The existence of several ways to do it should not discourage people
from actually adding the drop column feature to postgres

>         b) Peter's change wasn't a fix

I was'nt a _bug_ fix, it was a usability fix and likely SQL 92
compatibility fix.

-------------
Hannu

Date:
At 12:04 AM 1/24/00 +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:

>It could possibly be done by marking the column deleted and doing the
>compression/renumbering during vacuum , or by locking the table and
>compressing each page in-place if space is a concern or maybe several
>other ways.
>The existence of several ways to do it should not discourage people
>from actually adding the drop column feature to postgres

It should provide even more encouragement to discuss the proposed
implementation *first*.

IMHO, again.

Date:
Don Baccus wrote:

> At 12:04 AM 1/24/00 +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:
>
> >It could possibly be done by marking the column deleted and doing the
> >compression/renumbering during vacuum , or by locking the table and
> >compressing each page in-place if space is a concern or maybe several
> >other ways.
> >The existence of several ways to do it should not discourage people
> >from actually adding the drop column feature to postgres
>
> It should provide even more encouragement to discuss the proposed
> implementation *first*.

Judging from the length of this thread it is much more effective to get
a discussion *after* ;)

---------------
Hannu

Date:
At 12:19 AM 1/24/00 +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:
>Don Baccus wrote:

>> It should provide even more encouragement to discuss the proposed
>> implementation *first*.
>
>Judging from the length of this thread it is much more effective to get
>a discussion *after* ;)

Not at all...thus far there's no discussion of HOW to implement the
correct semantics at all.

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

Date:
Does anyone know why this thread is called, "Happy column dropping"?

Pennsylvania19026

Date:

> > > I tried to get Jan to assist Vince in the way CVS is used for the web
> > > pages.  Vince was happy with his system and my interference in Vince's
> > > system made for hurt feelings all around.
> >
> > Water under the bridge.  Jan and I have down and had a few beers
> > together.
>
> Well, that's very good news.
>
> Now, I guess I can ask abou the new developers page.  It would be nice
> to have that for the start of Beta.

You volunteering?  :)   When I said earlier that it was on the back
burner, it is because I'm extremely busy right now.  If Jan wants to
do it or if you do, I have no problem with that - but I suspect Jan's
a little on the busy side right now as well.  With luck perhaps I can
have it online by late spring.

Date:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Don Baccus wrote:

> At 12:19 AM 1/24/00 +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> >Don Baccus wrote:
>
> >> It should provide even more encouragement to discuss the proposed
> >> implementation *first*.
> >
> >Judging from the length of this thread it is much more effective to get
> >a discussion *after* ;)
>
> Not at all...thus far there's no discussion of HOW to implement the
> correct semantics at all.

Actually, I like the fact that Hannu suggested a way of implemented that
Bruce and I have been discussing in private :)

Date:
> > Now, I guess I can ask abou the new developers page.  It would be nice
> > to have that for the start of Beta.
>
> You volunteering?  :)   When I said earlier that it was on the back
> burner, it is because I'm extremely busy right now.  If Jan wants to
> do it or if you do, I have no problem with that - but I suspect Jan's
> a little on the busy side right now as well.  With luck perhaps I can
> have it online by late spring.

Jan's version looked done to me.  Can't we just put that up until we
have something better.

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
Don Baccus wrote:

> At 12:19 AM 1/24/00 +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> >Don Baccus wrote:
>
> >> It should provide even more encouragement to discuss the proposed
> >> implementation *first*.
> >
> >Judging from the length of this thread it is much more effective to get
> >a discussion *after* ;)
>
> Not at all...thus far there's no discussion of HOW to implement the
> correct semantics at all.

Such is the human nature. Instead of discussing how to implement it we
discuss someone else not discussing it at proper time...

Seems to be much more important topic.

-----------
Hannu

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Does anyone know why this thread is called, "Happy column dropping"?

Because Peter thought everyone would be happy being able to drop
columns.

Of course, more discussion should have happened.  I have found out the
hard way about some of this in keeping up the RPM's.  However, I have
found most of the RPM issues settle out from end users -- not from the
development team.  Thus, I am in an 'in between' position -- which is an
ideal place for a packager, anyway.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

From
Chris Bitmead
Date:
Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Putting something in a development tree can hardly be called a "release"
> I'm sure many people would appreciate it even without "preserving oid-s"
> as OID's are declared deprecated for (AFAIK) >2 years,

I've never seen or heard of any mention of oids being "deprecated". Some
people don't like them much, other people like them. Myself, I think
they will be great when a few issues with them are cleaned up (e.g.
backup with preservation of oids and full INSERT statements).

> and they don't give
> any real advantage over primary key with default nextval, as there are
> currently no means for reasonably getting from oid to record.

Not sure what you mean by "no means". They are queried and indexed like
other fields. No advantage? Well it takes one less pg call to get the
last value, and it takes less storage since they are there anyway. They
will also be very important if and when postgres makes more moves toward
being an ODBMS.

BTW, if someone implememnted INSERT where you may optionally specify the
oid, would this solve the problem, as I take it this patch is all about
implementing drop column in terms of a CREATE/SELECT INTO.

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

Date:

Who, me?  Go back and read the CVS logs for all my "oops..." messages.

>> a) 100% functional patches *after* extensive discussion
>
> Usually some one cleans me up. :-)  Even with discussion, my stuff is
> not 100%.

Assuming that Peter is still listening and hasn't given up in disgust,
I think the take-home point here is "discuss first, implement second".
Even the guys who have been working with Postgres the longest are
keenly aware that they don't know all there is to know about the
system.  *That's* why we have developed a tradition of sending proposals
to the list before doing anything major.  Very often there's someone
who knows a little more than you do about one aspect or another, and
will be able to save you from a mistake.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

Date:

> Who, me?  Go back and read the CVS logs for all my "oops..." messages.

But you fix your own oops.  Sometimes I throw in the towel.

> >> a) 100% functional patches *after* extensive discussion
> >
> > Usually some one cleans me up. :-)  Even with discussion, my stuff is
> > not 100%.
>
> Assuming that Peter is still listening and hasn't given up in disgust,
> I think the take-home point here is "discuss first, implement second".
> Even the guys who have been working with Postgres the longest are
> keenly aware that they don't know all there is to know about the
> system.  *That's* why we have developed a tradition of sending proposals
> to the list before doing anything major.  Very often there's someone
> who knows a little more than you do about one aspect or another, and
> will be able to save you from a mistake.

Yes.  We certainly have driven that point home.

Pennsylvania19026

Date: