Re: Happy column adding (was RE: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Don Baccus
Subject Re: Happy column adding (was RE: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 12:23 PM 1/25/00 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

>The only way to make that happen is for ADD COLUMN to switch over to
>an implementation that rewrites all the tuples.  Which I think is the
>right way to go ... but per this discussion, it's not a trivial fix.

Might it be possible to keep the current (ummm) hack for simple
add column name type and only rewrite for fancy cases?  The current
implementation is awfully fast and there's the advantage of not
needing sufficient disk storage to duplicate the table.