date/time type changes

Date:
Thomas, are you planning on unifying the date/time types for 7.0?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: date/time type changes

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Thomas, are you planning on unifying the date/time types for 7.0?

Yes I would like to. But I'll leave it to others to suggest whether it
is essential for a major rev bump or could wait until 7.1. afaik it
should only take a few days, even at my recent snail's pace of
Postgres development :(
                       - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: date/time type changes

Date:
> > Thomas, are you planning on unifying the date/time types for 7.0?
>
> Yes I would like to. But I'll leave it to others to suggest whether it
> is essential for a major rev bump or could wait until 7.1. afaik it
> should only take a few days, even at my recent snail's pace of
> Postgres development :(

It is up to you.  It would be best to get it in 7.0, but 7.1 is OK too.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: date/time type changes

From
Stephen Birch
Date:
Could you outline the proposed changes?  I am currently using datetime
and want to make sure my code doesn't break.

Steve

Date:
> Could you outline the proposed changes?  I am currently using datetime
> and want to make sure my code doesn't break.
> > > Thomas, are you planning on unifying the date/time types for 7.0?

The datetime type will become "timestamp" and the timespan type will
become "interval". Both "datetime" and "timespan" will become aliases
for timestamp and interval, respectively, and code *should* work
without having to be changed.
                  - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] Re: date/time type changes

Date:
> > Could you outline the proposed changes?  I am currently using datetime
> > and want to make sure my code doesn't break.
>
> The datetime type will become "timestamp" and the timespan type will
> become "interval". Both "datetime" and "timespan" will become aliases
> for timestamp and interval, respectively, and code *should* work
> without having to be changed.

Wouldn't it make more sense to rename timestamp to datetime because
datetime is the ANSI name?  Just asking.

Date:
> Wouldn't it make more sense to rename timestamp to datetime because
> datetime is the ANSI name?  Just asking.

timestamp is the SQL92 name for the date+time data type. datetime was
a name concocted by me to avoid conflicting with other possible
standard names when I first implemented the "new and improved"
date/time types. Am I missing something in my recollection??
                - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] Re: date/time type changes

Date:
> > Wouldn't it make more sense to rename timestamp to datetime because
> > datetime is the ANSI name?  Just asking.
>
> timestamp is the SQL92 name for the date+time data type. datetime was
> a name concocted by me to avoid conflicting with other possible
> standard names when I first implemented the "new and improved"
> date/time types. Am I missing something in my recollection??

Oh, I better fix my book.

Date:
> > Wouldn't it make more sense to rename timestamp to datetime because
> > datetime is the ANSI name?  Just asking.
>
> timestamp is the SQL92 name for the date+time data type. datetime was
> a name concocted by me to avoid conflicting with other possible
> standard names when I first implemented the "new and improved"
> date/time types. Am I missing something in my recollection??

I had refered to datetime in my book, thinking that was the standard
name.  I now see it is TIMESTAMP.  Good thing someone asked about this.

Pennsylvania19026