My bits moved right off the end of the world...

From
Theo Kramer
Date:
This message appeared from the backend when running vacuum
analyze on our live data. I remember seeing a posting
regarding this sometime back but no longer have this message.

The version of postgres is 6.5.1 on RH6. There is more than
sufficient disk space left, and postmaster does not seem
to be running out of memory.

Any help would be much appreciated.
--------
Regards
Theo

Re: [HACKERS] My bits moved right off the end of the world...

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
I recall that this was due to a corrupted B-Tree index. Try dropping and
rebuilding that, if you have one.

I also recall that Bruce, this being his "favourite error message", wanted
to make it "show it more often", so perhaps it now comes up in different
situations as well. ;)
-Peter

Date:
> I recall that this was due to a corrupted B-Tree index. Try dropping and
> rebuilding that, if you have one.
>
> I also recall that Bruce, this being his "favourite error message", wanted
> to make it "show it more often", so perhaps it now comes up in different
> situations as well. ;)

That's still on my TODO list.  :-)

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> I recall that this was due to a corrupted B-Tree index. Try dropping and
> rebuilding that, if you have one.

Thanks Peter, that did the trick.

Any chance of adding the following to the FAQ

4.24) What is the meaning of 'my bits moved right off the end of the world'

This message may appear in the backend log and may be due to a possibly
corrupt index.

It may be preceded (by several minutes) with a notice to the client such as

NOTICE:  Index my_idx: NUMBER OF INDEX' TUPLES (78933) IS NOT THE SAME AS HEAP
(78931)

The message may occur when running a 'vacuum analyze' with the backend
terminating abnormally.

[Other explanations...]

The postmaster must be started without the '-S' option for this
notice to appear.

--------

Date:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >
> > I recall that this was due to a corrupted B-Tree index. Try dropping and
> > rebuilding that, if you have one.
>
> Thanks Peter, that did the trick.
>
> Any chance of adding the following to the FAQ
>
> 4.24) What is the meaning of 'my bits moved right off the end of the world'

With specific messages like this one, it is best to put the fix right in
the error message.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] My bits moved right off the end of the world...

Date:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > >
> > > I recall that this was due to a corrupted B-Tree index. Try dropping and
> > > rebuilding that, if you have one.
> >
> > Thanks Peter, that did the trick.
> >
> > Any chance of adding the following to the FAQ
> >
> > 4.24) What is the meaning of 'my bits moved right off the end of the world'
>
> With specific messages like this one, it is best to put the fix right in
> the error message.

With great pain, I have added an additional sentence to the error
message stating to try and recreate index.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] My bits moved right off the end of the world...

Date:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >
> > I recall that this was due to a corrupted B-Tree index. Try dropping and
> > rebuilding that, if you have one.
>
> Thanks Peter, that did the trick.
>
> Any chance of adding the following to the FAQ
>
> 4.24) What is the meaning of 'my bits moved right off the end of the world'
>
> This message may appear in the backend log and may be due to a possibly
> corrupt index.
>
> It may be preceded (by several minutes) with a notice to the client such as
>
> NOTICE:  Index my_idx: NUMBER OF INDEX' TUPLES (78933) IS NOT THE SAME AS HEAP
> (78931)

I have added a mention when this message appears to try recreating the

Pennsylvania19026