Re: [HACKERS] My bits moved right off the end of the world... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Theo Kramer
Subject Re: [HACKERS] My bits moved right off the end of the world...
Date
Re: [HACKERS] My bits moved right off the end of the world...  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> I recall that this was due to a corrupted B-Tree index. Try dropping and
> rebuilding that, if you have one.

Thanks Peter, that did the trick.

Any chance of adding the following to the FAQ

4.24) What is the meaning of 'my bits moved right off the end of the world'

This message may appear in the backend log and may be due to a possibly
corrupt index.

It may be preceded (by several minutes) with a notice to the client such as

NOTICE:  Index my_idx: NUMBER OF INDEX' TUPLES (78933) IS NOT THE SAME AS HEAP
(78931)

The message may occur when running a 'vacuum analyze' with the backend
terminating abnormally.

[Other explanations...]

The postmaster must be started without the '-S' option for this
notice to appear.

--------
Regards
Theo