change in name of perl?

From
Brook Milligan
Date:
The installed name of perl in needed in interfaces/Makefile.  This
seems to have been changed from perl to perl5 sometime between 6.5 and
6.5.2.  I missed discussion of this, I guess.

What was the rationale for making this change?

Cheers,
Brook

Re: [HACKERS] change in name of perl?

Date:
> The installed name of perl in needed in interfaces/Makefile.  This
> seems to have been changed from perl to perl5 sometime between 6.5 and
> 6.5.2.  I missed discussion of this, I guess.

You mean the directory name was changed?  I don't see any perl-mentioned
changes in these releases.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] change in name of perl?

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > The installed name of perl in needed in interfaces/Makefile.  This
> > seems to have been changed from perl to perl5 sometime between 6.5 and
> > 6.5.2.  I missed discussion of this, I guess.
>
> You mean the directory name was changed?  I don't see any perl-mentioned
> changes in these releases.

src/interfaces/Makefile:
-----------
perl5/Makefile: perl5/Makefile.PLcd perl5 && perl5 Makefile.PL

install-perl5: perl5/Makefile$(MAKE) -C perl5 cleancd perl5 && POSTGRES_HOME="$(POSTGRESDIR)" perl5 Makefile.PL
-----------
Should be:
-----------
perl5/Makefile: perl5/Makefile.PLcd perl5 && perl Makefile.PL

install-perl5: perl5/Makefile$(MAKE) -C perl5 cleancd perl5 && POSTGRES_HOME="$(POSTGRESDIR)" perl Makefile.PL
-----------
Which is the way it read in 6.5.1, IIANM.  I know that I didn't have to
patch this in 6.5.1.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [HACKERS] change in name of perl?

Date:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > The installed name of perl in needed in interfaces/Makefile.  This
> > > seems to have been changed from perl to perl5 sometime between 6.5 and
> > > 6.5.2.  I missed discussion of this, I guess.
> >
> > You mean the directory name was changed?  I don't see any perl-mentioned
> > changes in these releases.
>
> src/interfaces/Makefile:
> -----------
> perl5/Makefile: perl5/Makefile.PL
>     cd perl5 && perl5 Makefile.PL
>
> install-perl5: perl5/Makefile
>     $(MAKE) -C perl5 clean
>     cd perl5 && POSTGRES_HOME="$(POSTGRESDIR)" perl5 Makefile.PL
> -----------
> Should be:
> -----------
> perl5/Makefile: perl5/Makefile.PL
>     cd perl5 && perl Makefile.PL
>
> install-perl5: perl5/Makefile
>     $(MAKE) -C perl5 clean
>     cd perl5 && POSTGRES_HOME="$(POSTGRESDIR)" perl Makefile.PL
> -----------
> Which is the way it read in 6.5.1, IIANM.  I know that I didn't have to
> patch this in 6.5.1.

Thanks again.

I had applied someone's patch so perl5 would be used, but that broke
many things.  I fixed the current tree to use $(PERL) as defined in
Makefile.global.  I just patched stable the same way.  Please test.
Thanks.

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
On Mon, 01 Nov 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I had applied someone's patch so perl5 would be used, but that broke
> many things.  I fixed the current tree to use $(PERL) as defined in
> Makefile.global.  I just patched stable the same way.  Please test.
> Thanks.

No joy.  the $(PERL) variable is apparently not being set -- the make goes out
at the line:
cd perl5 &&  Makefile.PL

(which should have that $(PERL) in there.....)

It is beginning to storm here, so I think I'd better shut down and unplug.
Will have at it at work tomorrow.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [HACKERS] change in name of perl?

Date:
> On Mon, 01 Nov 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I had applied someone's patch so perl5 would be used, but that broke
> > many things.  I fixed the current tree to use $(PERL) as defined in
> > Makefile.global.  I just patched stable the same way.  Please test.
> > Thanks.
>
> No joy.  the $(PERL) variable is apparently not being set -- the make goes out
> at the line:
> cd perl5 &&  Makefile.PL
>
> (which should have that $(PERL) in there.....)
>
> It is beginning to storm here, so I think I'd better shut down and unplug.
> Will have at it at work tomorrow.

OK, fix applied.  Seems like that fix wasn't in stable tree either.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] change in name of perl?

From
Brook Milligan
Date:
   OK, fix applied.  Seems like that fix wasn't in stable tree either.

Does this mean that 6.5.3-to-be and the current branch are both fixed?

Date:
>    OK, fix applied.  Seems like that fix wasn't in stable tree either.
>
> Does this mean that 6.5.3-to-be and the current branch are both fixed?

Yes, the current branch had already been fixed.  I had not fixed the
6.5.* branch because I thought the breakage was only in current.

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> >    OK, fix applied.  Seems like that fix wasn't in stable tree either.
> >
> > Does this mean that 6.5.3-to-be and the current branch are both fixed?
>
> Yes, the current branch had already been fixed.  I had not fixed the
> 6.5.* branch because I thought the breakage was only in current.

That was my error, as I should have specified that I am currently only
building REL6_5_PATCHES in preparation for the release of 6.5.3, so that
I can have testing rpms out close to concurrently with the tarball
release.

Building REL6_5_PATCHES now.... and the make has successfully built the
perl client.  If something else goes wrong either before the binary
RPM's are written or after they are installed and tested, I'll let you
know.  But, it looks like 6.5.3 is ready.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio