RE: [HACKERS] Dead CVS directories

From
Peter Mount
Date:
rm?

Well it's a last resort I've used on one of my home cvs trees, but it
does loose the archived stuff under that directory.

Peter

--
Peter Mount
Enterprise Support
Maidstone Borough Council

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Momjian [mailto:maillist@candle.pha.pa.us]
Sent: 12 October 1999 15:53
To: Marc G. Fournier
Cc: PostgreSQL-development
Subject: [HACKERS] Dead CVS directories

Marc, I added a dead directory called interfaces/pgeasy that I have
removed via CVS, but I know the directory still exists in the CVS tree.
(Now called libpgeasy).  In fact, I know there are many directories that
are empty in the tree.

Can you figure out a way to remove them from the CVSROOT tree?

Pennsylvania
19026

************

Re: [HACKERS] Dead CVS directories

Date:
> rm?
>
> Well it's a last resort I've used on one of my home cvs trees, but it
> does loose the archived stuff under that directory.
>
> Peter

Yes, but in most cases we don't care.  That stuff is very old.  I don't
know of any directory that has no valid files that needs to be saved.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Dead CVS directories

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > rm?
> >
> > Well it's a last resort I've used on one of my home cvs trees, but it
> > does loose the archived stuff under that directory.
> >
> > Peter
>
> Yes, but in most cases we don't care.  That stuff is very old.  I don't
> know of any directory that has no valid files that needs to be saved.

Why would we want to remove it in the first place?  If its been 'deleted',
it won't show  up unless you want it to (cvs update -APd removed old
files/directories)...

Oops, careful in the above, it also removed any 'sticky/branch'  tags...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Dead CVS directoriesh

Date:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > rm?
> > >
> > > Well it's a last resort I've used on one of my home cvs trees, but it
> > > does loose the archived stuff under that directory.
> > >
> > > Peter
> >
> > Yes, but in most cases we don't care.  That stuff is very old.  I don't
> > know of any directory that has no valid files that needs to be saved.
>
> Why would we want to remove it in the first place?  If its been 'deleted',
> it won't show  up unless you want it to (cvs update -APd removed old
> files/directories)...
>
> Oops, careful in the above, it also removed any 'sticky/branch'  tags...

I just thought we could fiddle with CVS to remove the stuff totally.  No
real need to, though. I just thought it would be confusing for people
who didn't do -P, or people managing CVSROOT directly.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Dead CVS directoriesh

From
Brian E Gallew
Date:
Then <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> spoke up and said:
> > Why would we want to remove it in the first place?  If its been 'deleted',
> > it won't show  up unless you want it to (cvs update -APd removed old
> > files/directories)...
> >
> > Oops, careful in the above, it also removed any 'sticky/branch'  tags...
>
> I just thought we could fiddle with CVS to remove the stuff totally.  No
> real need to, though. I just thought it would be confusing for people
> who didn't do -P, or people managing CVSROOT directly.

There is only one good reason for "really" pruning those old
directories out of the source tree: revision purging.  If you purge
all revisions of the files that live in those directories (so that
they really *are* empty), then removing the directories is a good idea.

| JAVA must have been developed in the wilds of West Virginia.      |
| After all, why else would it support only single inheritance??    |
| Finger geek@cmu.edu for my public key.                            |