Querytree printing

From
jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Date:
Who needs the pretty printed output of nodeDisplay() ?

    I  find  the  output  of nodeToString() much more useful when
    debugging the rewrite  system  (especially  when  looking  at
    querytree's  resulting  from joins with many RTE's, Resdom's,
    TLE's plus qual, group by etc. clauses.  It's  hard  to  keep
    track  where I am if the entire tree spans hundreds of lines.

    Thus I would like to change the output of -d4 back to that of
    nodeToString().  Anyone against?

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] Querytree printing

Date:
>     Who needs the pretty printed output of nodeDisplay() ?
>
>     I  find  the  output  of nodeToString() much more useful when
>     debugging the rewrite  system  (especially  when  looking  at
>     querytree's  resulting  from joins with many RTE's, Resdom's,
>     TLE's plus qual, group by etc. clauses.  It's  hard  to  keep
>     track  where I am if the entire tree spans hundreds of lines.
>
>     Thus I would like to change the output of -d4 back to that of
>     nodeToString().  Anyone against?

I like the long pretty printing, with the indentation.  You are
suggesting going to the more compressed format.  Can we have -d4 do
compressed printing, and -d5 to pretty printing?  That would be good.

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> >     Who needs the pretty printed output of nodeDisplay() ?
> >
> >     I  find  the  output  of nodeToString() much more useful when
> >     debugging the rewrite  system  (especially  when  looking  at
> >     querytree's  resulting  from joins with many RTE's, Resdom's,
> >     TLE's plus qual, group by etc. clauses.  It's  hard  to  keep
> >     track  where I am if the entire tree spans hundreds of lines.
> >
> >     Thus I would like to change the output of -d4 back to that of
> >     nodeToString().  Anyone against?
>
> I like the long pretty printing, with the indentation.  You are
> suggesting going to the more compressed format.  Can we have -d4 do
> compressed printing, and -d5 to pretty printing?  That would be good.

    Yepp - that's the right solution. Done soon!

Jan