ecpg problem

From
"Dr. Michael Meskes"
Date:
I just found this one on my TODO list:

The error message for "no data" in an exec sql insert select from statement
has to be 100.

It seems I cannot get that kind of information from libpq other than
checking for the result being 0 tuples. But is this correct? Or are there
possibilities to get 0 tuples? That is I get PQcmdTuples(results) = 0 with
the return code being PGRES_COMMAND_OK.

Also I wonder if PGRES_COMMAND_OK could come from other statements for which
setting the not found marker makes no sense. I think it does make sense for
insert, delete and update.

On the other hand returning NOT_FOUND on other commands doesn't do hany harm
though since the whenever not found isn't checked for other commands.

Michael
--
Dr. Michael Meskes        meskes@online-club.de, meskes@debian.org
Go SF49ers! Go Rhein Fire!    Use Debian GNU/Linux!

Re: [HACKERS] ecpg problem

From
Maarten Boekhold
Date:
On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Dr. Michael Meskes wrote:

> I just found this one on my TODO list:
>
> The error message for "no data" in an exec sql insert select from statement
> has to be 100.
>
> It seems I cannot get that kind of information from libpq other than
> checking for the result being 0 tuples. But is this correct? Or are there
> possibilities to get 0 tuples? That is I get PQcmdTuples(results) = 0 with
> the return code being PGRES_COMMAND_OK.

Shouldn't you check for PGRES_TUPLES_OK ? I always check for this if I
want to know if a data select statement has succeeded. And this also
still allows PQntuples() == 0

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |

Re: [HACKERS] ecpg problem

From
"Dr. Michael Meskes"
Date:
On Sat, Aug 15, 1998 at 12:27:55PM +0200, Maarten Boekhold wrote:
> > It seems I cannot get that kind of information from libpq other than
> > checking for the result being 0 tuples. But is this correct? Or are there
> > possibilities to get 0 tuples? That is I get PQcmdTuples(results) = 0 with
> > the return code being PGRES_COMMAND_OK.
>
> Shouldn't you check for PGRES_TUPLES_OK ? I always check for this if I

No, the insert command doesn't return any tuples anyway. But then I don't
check for it either. libecpg has to work with every return value and so
checks them all. It just happens that the insert commend returns
PGRES_COMMAND_OK. :-)

Michael