Leaks?

From
Michael Richards
Date:
Hi.
I was wondering if you used any leak finding tools in your code? There
seems to be a few mallocs that don't get freed, and a few internal buffer
overruns.
I don't know if it will work for you, but I'd suggest trying out a proggie
called memcheck. I use it for wireless terminals (DOS based) and it works
great. When the proggie shuts down, it tells me the location and size of
every structure that wasn't freed. Also it will tell me during runtime
when I overwrite something that I shouldn't have. Just a suggestion.

If I had more time I would dig in and see if I couldn't do some work on
some code here.

-Mike

Re: [HACKERS] Leaks?

Date:
We are releasing a 6.3.2 fix, perhaps today, that will fix this.

> Hi.
> I was wondering if you used any leak finding tools in your code? There
> seems to be a few mallocs that don't get freed, and a few internal buffer
> overruns.
> I don't know if it will work for you, but I'd suggest trying out a proggie
> called memcheck. I use it for wireless terminals (DOS based) and it works
> great. When the proggie shuts down, it tells me the location and size of
> every structure that wasn't freed. Also it will tell me during runtime
> when I overwrite something that I shouldn't have. Just a suggestion.
>
> If I had more time I would dig in and see if I couldn't do some work on
> some code here.
>
> -Mike

Re: [HACKERS] Leaks?

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Michael Richards wrote:

> Hi.
> I was wondering if you used any leak finding tools in your code? There

    Several times over the past two years, there have been ppl taht
have popped up with tools like Purify and ElectricFence, providing
"insight" into our code as far as memory leaks have been concerned...with
the complexity of the code, I don't believe its every *really* possible to
never have one or two, but, if/when reported, we try and get it fixed as
quickly as possible...

    ...with that in mind, point us to where the leak is, and we'll try
and fix it :)

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Leaks?

From
Michael Richards
Date:
On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > I was wondering if you used any leak finding tools in your code? There
>
>     Several times over the past two years, there have been ppl taht
> have popped up with tools like Purify and ElectricFence, providing
>     ...with that in mind, point us to where the leak is, and we'll try
> and fix it :)
Well, I wasn't convinced until I started using Memcheck either, but I
found a logfile that spit stuff like
Warning 387 bytes allocated in test.c(133) not freed
or
Warning BUFFER overrun at memcpy(testbuf) in file test1.c(26)

was really useful. If I ever find the time to dig in the source, I was
thinking of linking in memcheck and seeing what it could tell me. No sense
in my doing that if someone was already doing it to find the leaks...

-Mike