Re: [HACKERS] Leaks? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Richards
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Leaks?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > I was wondering if you used any leak finding tools in your code? There
>
>     Several times over the past two years, there have been ppl taht
> have popped up with tools like Purify and ElectricFence, providing
>     ...with that in mind, point us to where the leak is, and we'll try
> and fix it :)
Well, I wasn't convinced until I started using Memcheck either, but I
found a logfile that spit stuff like
Warning 387 bytes allocated in test.c(133) not freed
or
Warning BUFFER overrun at memcpy(testbuf) in file test1.c(26)

was really useful. If I ever find the time to dig in the source, I was
thinking of linking in memcheck and seeing what it could tell me. No sense
in my doing that if someone was already doing it to find the leaks...

-Mike