Tunning Server 9.1.

From
Periko Support
Date:
Hi.

I have server that hras increase users and need to increase
max_connections from default value.

Current value = 100
New Value = 200

This send me a message about shared_memory need to lower the value
which default settings = 24MB.

My server has 128GB in size, for 200 connections what settings and
values u recommend for my server?

I'm reading tunning just would like to receive tips an suggestions.

Reading docs looks like if I lower shared_buffers will affect my
performance?, right now is 12MB, bigger values won't allow me to
increase max_connections.

Any comment will be appreciated, thanks.

Linux Ubuntu 12.
Postgresql 9.1.x
x64.
128GB RAM

Re: Tunning Server 9.1.

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 8/3/2016 10:13 PM, Periko Support wrote:
> This send me a message about shared_memory need to lower the value
> which default settings = 24MB.

what message was this, exactly ?

on a 128GB ram system, I would probably have shared_buffers up around 4-8GB.

btw, postgres 9.1 is getting on in age, and will soon be desupported,
newer versions no longer used SysV shm, so you no longer need to adjust
shmmax values in your kernel.

Re: Tunning Server 9.1.

From
Periko Support
Date:
This was my message:

 PDT FATAL:  remaining connection slots are reserved for
non-replication superuser connections

Reading about, some points to max_connections because we have increase
users on the network, I tought has sense.

In 2 weeks will upgrade to ubuntu 14+psql 9.3

The docs say 25% of the memory, them I put there 18GB increasing
kernel settings.

Now need to support this version, on 9.3 this settings changes?

Thanks.

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 11:02 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 8/3/2016 10:13 PM, Periko Support wrote:
>>
>> This send me a message about shared_memory need to lower the value
>> which default settings = 24MB.
>

> what message was this, exactly ?
>

> on a 128GB ram system, I would probably have shared_buffers up around 4-8GB.
>

> btw, postgres 9.1 is getting on in age, and will soon be desupported, newer
> versions no longer used SysV shm, so you no longer need to adjust shmmax
> values in your kernel.
>

> --
> john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz

Re: Tunning Server 9.1.

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 8/4/2016 6:01 AM, Periko Support wrote:
> This was my message:
>
>   PDT FATAL:  remaining connection slots are reserved for
> non-replication superuser connections

you said you got a message about shared memory ??   thats nothing to do
with this ?

Re: Tunning Server 9.1.

From
Periko Support
Date:
I read some sites on google that it was related to this settings.
Can u share your experience on this logs?

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 11:17 AM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 8/4/2016 6:01 AM, Periko Support wrote:
>>
>> This was my message:
>>
>>   PDT FATAL:  remaining connection slots are reserved for
>> non-replication superuser connections
>

> you said you got a message about shared memory ??   thats nothing to do with
> this ?
>

> --
> john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz

Re: Tunning Server 9.1.

From
Patrick B
Date:
@John R Pirce,

on a 128GB ram system, I would probably have shared_buffers up around 4-8GB.

I'm using shared_buffer = 52GB in a 128GB RAM server :O

Re: Tunning Server 9.1.

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 8/4/2016 2:02 PM, Periko Support wrote:
> I read some sites on google that it was related to this settings.
> Can u share your experience on this logs?

what you said earlier has nothing to do with what you're saying now.

original:

> I have server that hras increase users and need to increase
> max_connections from default value.
>
> Current value = 100
> New Value = 200
>
> This send me a message about shared_memory need to lower the value
> which default settings = 24MB.

then you said...

> This was my message:
>
>   PDT FATAL:  remaining connection slots are reserved for
> non-replication superuser connections
>
> Reading about, some points to max_connections because we have increase
> users on the network, I tought has sense.

I don't get how you got from that first to that second. "remaining
connections are reserved..." happens when more than max_connections
clients connect to the server.      this has nothing to do with shared
memory.

now, if after increasing max_connections you got ANOTHER message about
shared memory, THATS the error we need to see.