Does anyone user pg-pool II on real production ? Please help me.

From
tuanhoanganh
Date:
Hello everybody

Does anyone user pg-pool II on real production ?
How many slave do you have? and how many size of database ?

I need config my old retail system to support ~ 1500 user with 1000GB over 4 years. I want to try pgpool-II but don't found real system use it.

My system use direct SQL SELECT query and a lot pg procedure. Can pgpool-II support load balance from SELECT my_procedure() ...

Please help me

Thanks in advance. Sorry for my English.

Re: Does anyone user pg-pool II on real production ? Please help me.

From
Andreas Kretschmer
Date:
tuanhoanganh <hatuan05@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone user pg-pool II on real production ?
> How many slave do you have? and how many size of database ?

a little bit, one client, some hundred GB. 2-3 years in production mode
without problems.

> I need config my old retail system to support ~ 1500 user with 1000GB over 4
> years. I want to try pgpool-II but don't found real system use it.
>
> My system use direct SQL SELECT query and a lot pg procedure. Can pgpool-II
> support load balance from SELECT my_procedure() ...

Yes it can. But it doesn't know if your functions are read-only or write
to the database - so you have to configure it (black/white - list)

Read the docu - it's well ducumented.

Andreas

Re: Does anyone user pg-pool II on real production ? Please help me.

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
Hi,

> Hello everybody
>
> Does anyone user pg-pool II on real production ?

Yes, I have customers who are using pgpool-II.

> How many slave do you have? and how many size of database ?

Mostly one slave, some of them use more than one, up to four or so.
I am not sure how big their databases are though.

> I need config my old retail system to support ~ 1500 user with 1000GB over
> 4 years. I want to try pgpool-II but don't found real system use it.

Here it is:
http://www.sraoss.co.jp/case_study/daiichihoki_en.php

Also the most recent case study of "Gengo" (http://gengo.com/) will be
available soon in English.  They are using PostgreSQL and pgpool-II on
AWS.  (Japanese case study text is already availble. Please take a
look at if you like: http://www.sraoss.co.jp/case_study/gengo.php).

> My system use direct SQL SELECT query and a lot pg procedure. Can pgpool-II
> support load balance from SELECT my_procedure() ...

Yes. pgpool-II can have a list of load-balancing-possible functions
(procedures).

> Please help me
>
> Thanks in advance. Sorry for my English.

There is a pgpool-II specific mailing list. I suggest you to move to
it.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: Does anyone user pg-pool II on real production ? Please help me.

From
Sameer Kumar

On 6 Jan 2015 03:02, "tuanhoanganh" <hatuan05@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everybody
>
> Does anyone user pg-pool II on real production ?

Yes we have a customer using it in load balancing mode and another one using it with Watchdog for high availability.

> How many slave do you have? and how many size of database ?

In both cases 1. But I believe pgpool can support more databases. Size of db should not matter but we have 50GB if database being used with pgpool.

> I need config my old retail system to support ~ 1500 user with 1000GB over 4 years. I want to try pgpool-II but don't found real system use it.

I guess in addition to using pgpool you should also think about using pgbouncer as connection pooling agent (I would probably install it on application server and configure to connect to pgpool)

> My system use direct SQL SELECT query and a lot pg procedure.

If there is a way you can specify different connection strings for these two type of queries then you can make most out of pgbouncer. Do you do any explicit transactions in these procedures?

> Can pgpool-II support load balance from SELECT my_procedure() ...

Yes you can specify those on white list (provided they are readonly procedures).

> Please help me
>
> Thanks in advance. Sorry for my English.

Re: Does anyone user pg-pool II on real production ? Please help me.

From
tuanhoanganh
Date:
Thanks for all.

I will try pgpool-II & pgbouncer . Hope it is good solution.

Tuan Hoang Anh