Oracle to PostgreSQL replication

From
Sameer Kumar
Date:
Hi,

I need to setup a replication process for continuously replicating changes happening in an Oracle Database to a PostgreSQL database.

My Oracle Database is version 11.2 and setup as a cluster with RAC
My Postgres database version is 9.2

Oracle Database is running in Solaris and PostgreSQL is running on RHEL.

Is there any commercial or open source tool available to achieve this?

I was wondering has anyone used foreign data  wrapper or

Best Regards,

Sameer Kumar | Database Consultant

ASHNIK PTE. LTD.

101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069533

M: +65 8110 0350  T: +65 6438 3504 | www.ashnik.com

icons

Email patch

This email may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material and is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).

Attachment

Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL replication

From
Albe Laurenz
Date:
Sameer Kumar wrote:
> I need to setup a replication process for continuously replicating changes happening in an Oracle
> Database to a PostgreSQL database.
>

> My Oracle Database is version 11.2 and setup as a cluster with RAC
> My Postgres database version is 9.2
>
> Oracle Database is running in Solaris and PostgreSQL is running on RHEL.
>
> Is there any commercial or open source tool available to achieve this?
>
> I was wondering has anyone used foreign data  wrapper or

There is no ready-made solution for this from the PostgreSQL side.
You could check with Oracle if they provide something like that
with their "Golden Gate".

What you could do is to have a trigger record all changes to the Oracle
table in a separate log table and regularly run a program that pulls those
changes from the log table and applies them to a PostgreSQL table,
deleting the log entries as it goes.

You could write such a thing as PostgreSQL function using oracle_fdw,
but you need PostgreSQL 9.3 if you want to update Oracle data that way.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL replication

From
Geoff Montee

I need to setup a replication process for continuously replicating changes happening in an Oracle Database to a PostgreSQL database.

My Oracle Database is version 11.2 and setup as a cluster with RAC
My Postgres database version is 9.2

Oracle Database is running in Solaris and PostgreSQL is running on RHEL.

Is there any commercial or open source tool available to achieve this?

Continuent's Tungsten Replicator apparently offers Oracle to MySQL replication. There's a wiki page that suggests PostgreSQL support was in development at one time. I'm not sure how far they got, or if they are still working on it.

Geoff Montee

Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL replication

From
Serge Fonville
Date:
Hi,

I need to setup a replication process for continuously replicating changes happening in an Oracle Database to a PostgreSQL database.

My Oracle Database is version 11.2 and setup as a cluster with RAC
My Postgres database version is 9.2

Oracle Database is running in Solaris and PostgreSQL is running on RHEL.

Is there any commercial or open source tool available to achieve this?

How about EnterpriseDB XDB replication?

Kind regards/met vriendelijke groet,

I need to setup a replication process for continuously replicating changes happening in an Oracle Database to a PostgreSQL database.

My Oracle Database is version 11.2 and setup as a cluster with RAC
My Postgres database version is 9.2

Oracle Database is running in Solaris and PostgreSQL is running on RHEL.

Is there any commercial or open source tool available to achieve this?

Continuent's Tungsten Replicator apparently offers Oracle to MySQL replication. There's a wiki page that suggests PostgreSQL support was in development at one time. I'm not sure how far they got, or if they are still working on it.

Geoff Montee

Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL replication

From
Sameer Kumar

Thanks alot everyone!

I guess I will be exploring more on oracle foreign data wrapper.

Has anyone tried using oracle_fdw with Oracle RAC? I am wondering how would it handle failovers.

Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL replication

From
tuanhoanganh
Date:
You can test with SymmetricDS (www.symmetricds.org)

I guess I will be exploring more on oracle foreign data wrapper.

Has anyone tried using oracle_fdw with Oracle RAC? I am wondering how would it handle failovers.

Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL replication

From
"Anand Kumar, Karthik"
We use symmetricDS for this. Works pretty well.

[...]

Rajni Baliyan
Date:
I downloaded symmetricDS but I did not found any installer (symmetric-pro-x.x.x.jar)
Can any one please help me in this

Thanks

Best Regards,
Rajni Baliyan | Database - Consultant
M:+65 87294147 T: +65 6438 3504 | www.ashnik.com

[...]

Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Rajni Baliyan, 09.05.2014 09:46:

This might help: http://www.symmetricds.org/doc/3.5/html/tutorial.html#tutorial-install

Date:
Sameer Kumar wrote:
> I guess I will be exploring more on oracle foreign data wrapper.
>
> Has anyone tried using oracle_fdw with Oracle RAC? I am wondering how would it handle failovers.

I have not tried it, but it should work as follows:

- You'll have to use a connect string that is correctly defined for
  "transparent application failover", see
  http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/network.112/e10836/advcfg.htm#NETAG455

- Failover will happen automatically.

- SELECTs should be able to complete without error message.

- INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE will fail with an error message and
  will have to be retried.  I did not code oracle_fdw to support
  TAF for DML statements.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe