Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL replication
Date
List pgsql-general
Sameer Kumar wrote:
> I need to setup a replication process for continuously replicating changes happening in an Oracle
> Database to a PostgreSQL database.
>

> My Oracle Database is version 11.2 and setup as a cluster with RAC
> My Postgres database version is 9.2
>
> Oracle Database is running in Solaris and PostgreSQL is running on RHEL.
>
> Is there any commercial or open source tool available to achieve this?
>
> I was wondering has anyone used foreign data  wrapper or

There is no ready-made solution for this from the PostgreSQL side.
You could check with Oracle if they provide something like that
with their "Golden Gate".

What you could do is to have a trigger record all changes to the Oracle
table in a separate log table and regularly run a program that pulls those
changes from the log table and applies them to a PostgreSQL table,
deleting the log entries as it goes.

You could write such a thing as PostgreSQL function using oracle_fdw,
but you need PostgreSQL 9.3 if you want to update Oracle data that way.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe