Refresh Postgres SSL certs?

From
Paul Jungwirth
Date:
Hello,

In light of the "Heartbleed" OpenSSL bug[0,1], I'm wondering if I need
to regenerate the SSL certs on my postgres installations[2] (at least
the ones listening on more than localhost)? On Ubuntu it looks like
there are symlinks at /var/lib/postgresql/9.1/main/server.{crt,key}
pointing to /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.{pem,key}. Is there any
documentation on how to regenerate these? Are they self-signed? Can I
replace them with my own self-signed certs, like I'd do with Apache or
Nginx?

Thanks!
Paul

[0] https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2014-0160
[1] http://heartbleed.com/
[2] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/ssl-tcp.html

--
_________________________________
Pulchritudo splendor veritatis.

Re: Refresh Postgres SSL certs?

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 12:28:14PM -0700, Paul Jungwirth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In light of the "Heartbleed" OpenSSL bug[0,1], I'm wondering if I need
> to regenerate the SSL certs on my postgres installations[2] (at least
> the ones listening on more than localhost)? On Ubuntu it looks like
> there are symlinks at /var/lib/postgresql/9.1/main/server.{crt,key}
> pointing to /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.{pem,key}. Is there any
> documentation on how to regenerate these? Are they self-signed? Can I
> replace them with my own self-signed certs, like I'd do with Apache or
> Nginx?

Have you read the Debian README?

/usr/share/doc/postgresql-*/README.Debian.gz

It talks about how the certificates are made. It uses the ssl-cert
package to make them, there's more docs there.

Yes, you can make your own self-signed certs and use them.

Have a nice day,
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
   -- Arthur Schopenhauer

Attachment

Date:
> Have you read the Debian README?
> /usr/share/doc/postgresql-*/README.Debian.gz

Thank you for pointing me to that file. From
/etc/share/doc/ssl-cert/README it sounds like the old snakeoil cert is
already self-signed, so that's promising. So I take it that psql and
the postgres client library won't object to a self-signed cert. Do
they do any kind of certificate pinning or other caching of the old
cert? Or can I just replace the cert, restart the postgres server, and
be done?

Thanks,
Paul

--
_________________________________

Date:
On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 12:59:53PM -0700, Paul Jungwirth wrote:
> > Have you read the Debian README?
> > /usr/share/doc/postgresql-*/README.Debian.gz
>
> Thank you for pointing me to that file. From
> /etc/share/doc/ssl-cert/README it sounds like the old snakeoil cert is
> already self-signed, so that's promising. So I take it that psql and
> the postgres client library won't object to a self-signed cert. Do
> they do any kind of certificate pinning or other caching of the old
> cert? Or can I just replace the cert, restart the postgres server, and
> be done?

No pinning, no caching.