Simple Web-based alternative to PgAdmin

From
AlexK
Date:
I would like to give my users the ability to invoke read-only functions and
select statements, so that they can easily see the data. Both me and the
users have experience mostly with SQL Server, so anyone can keep like 30
connections without much thinking.

Since too many open connections seems to be a serious problem on PostgreSql,
maybe giving everyone PgAdmin is asking for trouble. Instead, I would like
to expose the data via some simple Web-based interface, managing the
connections myself.

Can you recommend something very simple and light-weight, with only one
feature: run a query and display a result set.

Re: Simple Web-based alternative to PgAdmin

From
alexandros_e
Date:
phpPgAdmin

http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net/doku.php

Re: Simple Web-based alternative to PgAdmin

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 02/11/2014 08:17 AM, AlexK wrote:
> I would like to give my users the ability to invoke read-only functions and
> select statements, so that they can easily see the data. Both me and the
> users have experience mostly with SQL Server, so anyone can keep like 30
> connections without much thinking.

Trying to think why one person would need 30 connections to do simple
queries instead of running them through one connection?

> Since too many open connections seems to be a serious problem on PostgreSql,
> maybe giving everyone PgAdmin is asking for trouble. Instead, I would like
> to expose the data via some simple Web-based interface, managing the
> connections myself.

So have you seen a problem?

Also if you have, would it not be easier just to put a connection pooler
in front of the database? Say pgBouncer or pgpool, then you would be
covered for all methods of access.

adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Simple Web-based alternative to PgAdmin

From
Pavel Stehule

I would like to give my users the ability to invoke read-only functions and
select statements, so that they can easily see the data. Both me and the
users have experience mostly with SQL Server, so anyone can keep like 30
connections without much thinking.

Since too many open connections seems to be a serious problem on PostgreSql,
maybe giving everyone PgAdmin is asking for trouble. Instead, I would like
to expose the data via some simple Web-based interface, managing the
connections myself.

Can you recommend something very simple and light-weight, with only one
feature: run a query and display a result set.

adminer

http://www.adminer.org/en/

Works with MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, MS SQL, Oracle, SimpleDB, Elasticsearch, MongoDB

Regards

Pavel Stehule

Re: Simple Web-based alternative to PgAdmin

From
Sameer Kumar

I would like to give my users the ability to invoke read-only functions and
select statements, so that they can easily see the data. Both me and the
users have experience mostly with SQL Server, so anyone can keep like 30
connections without much thinking.

Configure connection pooling at statement level (since you are only using read only queries) using pgbouncer and it would be a good idea to use a read-only user.

Can you recommend something very simple and light-weight, with only one
feature: run a query and display a result set.

A web-based tool:

Best Regards,

Sameer Kumar | Database Consultant

ASHNIK PTE. LTD.

101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069533

M: +65 8110 0350  T: +65 6438 3504 | www.ashnik.com

icons

Email patch

This email may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material and is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).

Attachment