Cannot install postgres 9.2, less than 32 MB of memory

From
Alexander Reichstadt
Date:
Hi,

I never had any problems to install postgres 9.1, now I do with 9.2. This is the enterprise installer for Mac OS X. I
triedto install and am getting the dreaded error message regarding shared memory, which is not very helpful because it
doesnot seem to actually look at the file it complains about. I edited it, I read the readme. I changed the sizes
accordingly,yet it persists in claiming there to be too less memory on an intel mac pro with 18 GB of ram. Please, can
someonehelp?

Thank you in advance
Alex

Re: Cannot install postgres 9.2, less than 32 MB of memory

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 01/19/2013 05:10 AM, Alexander Reichstadt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I never had any problems to install postgres 9.1, now I do with 9.2. This is the enterprise installer for Mac OS X. I
triedto install and am getting the dreaded error message regarding shared memory, which is not very helpful because it
doesnot seem to actually look at the file it complains about. I edited it, I read the readme. I changed the sizes
accordingly,yet it persists in claiming there to be too less memory on an intel mac pro with 18 GB of ram. Please, can
someonehelp?

Would it be possible to get some more specific information.

1) The text of the actual error message?

2) What file?

3) What did you edit?

4) What size(s) did you change and how?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Cannot install postgres 9.2, less than 32 MB of memory

From
Raghavendra

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM, Alexander Reichstadt <lxr@mac.com> wrote:
Hi,

I never had any problems to install postgres 9.1, now I do with 9.2. This is the enterprise installer for Mac OS X. I tried to install and am getting the dreaded error message regarding shared memory, which is not very helpful because it does not seem to actually look at the file it complains about. I edited it, I read the readme. I changed the sizes accordingly, yet it persists in claiming there to be too less memory on an intel mac pro with 18 GB of ram. Please, can someone help?

Thank you in advance
Alex

Can you try installing again after executing below command as Adminstrator...
$ cat /etc/sysctl.conf | sudo xargs sysctl -w

Also do share the information requested here...

---
Regards,
Raghavendra
EnterpriseDB Corporation

Re: Cannot install postgres 9.2, less than 32 MB of memory

Date:
Alexander Reichstadt <lxr@mac.com> writes:
> I never had any problems to install postgres 9.1, now I do with 9.2. This is the enterprise installer for Mac OS X. I
triedto install and am getting the dreaded error message regarding shared memory, which is not very helpful because it
doesnot seem to actually look at the file it complains about. I edited it, I read the readme. I changed the sizes
accordingly,yet it persists in claiming there to be too less memory on an intel mac pro with 18 GB of ram. Please, can
someonehelp?

Did you reboot after fixing the config file?  I think OS X only absorbs
those settings at boot time.  Also be sure you've followed the
OS-X-specific information in
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/kernel-resources.html

            regards, tom lane

Re: Cannot install postgres 9.2, less than 32 MB of memory

From
Alexander Reichstadt
Date:
Thanks, impatient me, did not reboot, did now, works!

Thank you