Installer problem report with interesting solution

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
Hi all

On Stack Overflow I was following the efforts of a user who was unable to install Pg.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11656410/postgresql-installation-issue#comment15679519_11656410

They've just come back to let me know they found a solution to the issue, and it's one that might be worth knowing about, saying that the following resolved their issue:

http://www.geekscribes.net/blog/2009/04/22/postgresql-database-cluster-initialisation-failed-solution/

Basically, they had to install in a non-default location outside Program Files.

Odd.

They've posted their install log in the question.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: Installer problem report with interesting solution

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Craig Ringer wrote on 04.08.2012 03:39:
> Hi all
>
> On Stack Overflow I was following the efforts of a user who was
> unable to install Pg.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11656410/postgresql-installation-issue#comment15679519_11656410
>
>  They've just come back to let me know they found a solution to the
> issue, and it's one that might be worth knowing about, saying that
> the following resolved their issue:
>
> http://www.geekscribes.net/blog/2009/04/22/postgresql-database-cluster-initialisation-failed-solution/
>
>  Basically, they had to install in a non-default location outside
> Program Files.
>
> Odd.

8.3 would put the data directory right into the install directory if I'm not mistaken.
It's not really surprising that this won't work.

It should also work if installed into program files but then a different location for the
data directory is chosen during installation. If I remember correctly the 8.3 installer
didn't make that easy to find.

Date:
On 08/04/2012 03:08 PM, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Craig Ringer wrote on 04.08.2012 03:39:
>> Hi all
>>
>> On Stack Overflow I was following the efforts of a user who was
>> unable to install Pg.
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11656410/postgresql-installation-issue#comment15679519_11656410
>>

>>  They've just come back to let me know they found a solution to the
>> issue, and it's one that might be worth knowing about, saying that
>> the following resolved their issue:
>>
>> http://www.geekscribes.net/blog/2009/04/22/postgresql-database-cluster-initialisation-failed-solution/
>>

>>  Basically, they had to install in a non-default location outside
>> Program Files.
>>
>> Odd.
>
> 8.3 would put the data directory right into the install directory if
> I'm not mistaken.
> It's not really surprising that this won't work.
>
> It should also work if installed into program files but then a
> different location for the
> data directory is chosen during installation. If I remember correctly
> the 8.3 installer
> didn't make that easy to find.
Yeah, but they were installing 8.4 and tried 9.1 with reportedly the
same problem. That's what I thought was odd.

--
Craig Ringer