Re: Installer problem report with interesting solution - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Installer problem report with interesting solution
Date
List pgsql-general
Craig Ringer wrote on 04.08.2012 03:39:
> Hi all
>
> On Stack Overflow I was following the efforts of a user who was
> unable to install Pg.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11656410/postgresql-installation-issue#comment15679519_11656410
>
>  They've just come back to let me know they found a solution to the
> issue, and it's one that might be worth knowing about, saying that
> the following resolved their issue:
>
> http://www.geekscribes.net/blog/2009/04/22/postgresql-database-cluster-initialisation-failed-solution/
>
>  Basically, they had to install in a non-default location outside
> Program Files.
>
> Odd.

8.3 would put the data directory right into the install directory if I'm not mistaken.
It's not really surprising that this won't work.

It should also work if installed into program files but then a different location for the
data directory is chosen during installation. If I remember correctly the 8.3 installer
didn't make that easy to find.