installing tsearch2

From
robert
Date:
Hi there,
this is my first post to this list..
I have been a casual user of postgres for the past 2-3 years but was never
involved in installation and such.

Now I must help the migration of a 8.3 system to 9.1.
The problem we face is that the actual system is using tsearch-2 which was
allready posted from an 8.1 installation.

My questions now are:
- how do I install tsearch2
   I compiled the 9.1 source an executed make all / install in the contrib directory
   now I find there a tsearch2--1.0.sql and tsearch2--unpackaged--1.0.sql
   file.
   Do I have to execute them?
   Both ?

- in the dump of the old database there are references to gtsvector_in and
gtsvector_out and similar of which I find nothing in gtsvector_out
   are these _in/_out objects needed anymore?
   can I overlook the errors when importing the old dump?

thanks for your time
robert

Re: installing tsearch2

From
Achilleas Mantzios
Date:
tsearch2 support is included in the 9.1 distribution. No need for any additional packages.
However, if you need to use the old functions, then you will have to install the
"Backwards-compatibility package for old contrib/tsearch2 API"
in <path_to_your_source>/contrib/tsearch2/

gmake
gmake install
then
psql -f <path_to_your_source>/contrib/tsearch2/sql/tsearch2.sql

Στις Wednesday 19 October 2011 12:15:34 ο/η robert έγραψε:

--
Achilleas Mantzios

Re: installing tsearch2

Date:
Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> writes:
> tsearch2 support is included in the 9.1 distribution. No need for any additional packages.
> However, if you need to use the old functions, then you will have to install the
> "Backwards-compatibility package for old contrib/tsearch2 API"
> in <path_to_your_source>/contrib/tsearch2/

> gmake
> gmake install
> then
> psql -f <path_to_your_source>/contrib/tsearch2/sql/tsearch2.sql

I think part of the OP's problem is that that advice is obsolete.
In 9.1 you'd do "CREATE EXTENSION tsearch2", not feed a file to
psql manually.

But the bigger picture is that pre-8.3 tsearch2 is obsolete and you
should be trying to get rid of it not port it.  See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/textsearch-migration.html

            regards, tom lane

Re: installing tsearch2

From
Achilleas Mantzios
Date:
Στις Wednesday 19 October 2011 16:46:55 ο/η Tom Lane έγραψε:
> Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> writes:
> > tsearch2 support is included in the 9.1 distribution. No need for any additional packages.
> > However, if you need to use the old functions, then you will have to install the
> > "Backwards-compatibility package for old contrib/tsearch2 API"
> > in <path_to_your_source>/contrib/tsearch2/
>
> > gmake
> > gmake install
> > then
> > psql -f <path_to_your_source>/contrib/tsearch2/sql/tsearch2.sql
>
> I think part of the OP's problem is that that advice is obsolete.
> In 9.1 you'd do "CREATE EXTENSION tsearch2", not feed a file to
> psql manually.

In his case, i think the dump from 8.3 will carry over those functions (the sql part) regardless.

--
Achilleas Mantzios