./configure --prefix=/data/pgsql
--with-includes=/data/readline/include
--with-libraries=/data/readline/lib

failed with:
checking for the pthreads library -lpthread... yes
checking whether pthreads work with --thread-safe... no
checking whether pthreads work with -mt... no
checking for the pthreads library -lpthreadGC2... no
checking pthread.h usability... yes
checking pthread.h presence... yes
checking for pthread.h... yes
checking for strerror_r... yes
checking for getpwuid_r... yes
checking for gethostbyname_r... yes
checking whether getpwuid_r takes a fifth argument... yes
checking whether strerror_r returns int... no
checking test program... failed
configure: error:
Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
for the exact reason.

and the config.log has not meanful message:

#define HAVE_SIGSETJMP 1
#define HAVE_DECL_SYS_SIGLIST 1
#define HAVE_SYSLOG 1
#define HAVE_INT_OPTERR 1
#define HAVE_STRTOLL 1
#define HAVE_STRTOULL 1
#define HAVE_ATEXIT 1
#define HAVE_STRERROR_R 1
#define HAVE_GETPWUID_R 1
#define HAVE_GETHOSTBYNAME_R 1
#define GETPWUID_R_5ARG /**/

configure: exit 1

but if run configure without any args,it error with:
checking for -lreadline... no
checking for -ledit... no
configure: error: readline library not found
If you have readline already installed, see config.log for details on the
failure.  It is possible the compiler isn't looking in the proper directory.
Use --without-readline to disable readline support.

if --without-readline,configure runs OK

how can i configure pg with readline?

uname -a
Linux 2.6.16.60-0.21-xxx64-100515 #1 SMP Wed May 12 11:46:34 CST 2010
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Re: 9.0.4 run configure failed with readline enable on susu linux x86-64

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
On 16/08/2011 5:16 PM, Jov wrote:
> but if run configure without any args,it error with:
> checking for -lreadline... no
> checking for -ledit... no
> configure: error: readline library not found
> If you have readline already installed, see config.log for details on the
> failure.  It is possible the compiler isn't looking in the proper directory.
> Use --without-readline to disable readline support.
>
> if --without-readline,configure runs OK
>
> how can i configure pg with readline?

You'll find that there's a -dev or -devel package for readline that you
need to install.

--
Craig Ringer

Thanks for your reply.I have installed readline from src without default prefix because i have no privelege install lib to /usr, there are include header files and libreadline*.a and also .so installed,so I think it is dev package,right?

在 2011-8-16 下午8:01,"Craig Ringer" <ringerc@ringerc.id.au>写道:

Date:
Jov <zhao6014@gmail.com> writes:
> ./configure --prefix=/data/pgsql
> --with-includes=/data/readline/include
> --with-libraries=/data/readline/lib

> failed with:
> checking test program... failed
> configure: error:
> Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
> related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
> for the exact reason.

> and the config.log has not meanful message:

Yes it does, you just didn't show it to us.  The config.log file will
end with several hundred lines showing configure's current variable
values and #defines, but those are rarely very useful.  What you do want
to look at is the trace of the failed test ("checking test program"),
which will be right before those two lists.

> but if run configure without any args,it error with:
> checking for -lreadline... no
> checking for -ledit... no
> configure: error: readline library not found

Well, yeah, since your readline library is in a nonstandard place.

(Since this is a Linux system, I'll bet that the underlying problem is
that you didn't add /data/readline/lib to the ldconfig configuration.
Linux doesn't really like libraries in nonstandard places.  But why are
you using a homebrew readline build at all?  Your distro has certainly
got that available prepackaged.)

            regards, tom lane